Rub vs salt/pepper vs "let the seasoning in the pit flavor it"?

I said claiming it was the barometer for good cooking was bad.

I'll only say that I never read where he said it was the barometer. (again, I may have misinterpreted it...and he may have meant it was the end-all-be-all)

Anyway...we all enjoy barbecue. Have a wonderful night, brother.

Another great video. I noticed your slow motion segments looked very clear and vivid. Are you using new hard or software?

Another great video. I noticed your slow motion segments looked very clear and vivid. Are you using new hard or software?

Thanks Bob, it's a combination of things. The camera I've been using will shoot 120 fps but I never used to use it because when you switch it to that mode, the autofocus shuts off and it stops recording audio. Recently I got an external monitor which helps me manual focus and has some tools in it to get the exposure right in camera. Since I was trying to edit around the noise of the roofers, I didn't care about the audio so I figured I'd give it a shot. Turned out alot better than I expected. Glad to hear your comment on it because that means it wasn't just in my head. lol.

Well I have been using salt & pepper lately. Time to get some new rubs for my spice rack. Going to try Kosmo W rubs for the first time. Then I will go back to making my own rubs.
Rubs make a difference

I've only tried his stuff once but it was pretty good.

Thanks for this video, Maniac, and for all your hard work on YouTube. Your MAK 2-star video with the pork butt was the final straw for me, I assembled my new 2-star yesterday. :) Purely out of selfishness, I'd like to see more pellet videos!

Great video, thanks for taking the time to make and edit it. I'm a SPGO guy on beef but do use other flavours on pork and poultry.

Great video, thanks for taking the time to make and edit it. I'm a SPGO guy on beef but do use other flavours on pork and poultry.

My pleasure man. Yeah, I typically do rubs on pork too. In fact, I don't think I've ever had just S&P (no sauce) and I know I haven't had them with nothing on them the entire time. Both were better than I expected but the S&P were very good. Not my favorite of the bunch but good enough that if that was all I had, I'd serve them and not think twice about it.

one rack was cooked with just smoke.
One was cooked just with S&P
One was with "The rub"
These were cooked straight through like this.

The other 3 racks were the same as the above accept I wrapped and layered on flavors. I clearly should have done a better job of explaining it.

The problem is whenever I do these experiments, I prefer to isolate it down to one variable but people get mad so I did one set of ribs straight through I one set wrapped, sauced and glazed.

I thought you did fine with showing what you were doing. At several points you can clearly see 3 racks wrapped in foil next to 3 racks with no foil sitting in the smoker.

I can't get over the wild use of Parkay squeeze "butter"! It's probably because I'm not familiar with the competition circuit.

I can't get over the wild use of Parkay squeeze "butter"! ...
Diethyl-trimethyl foodlike substance? What could be bad? :icon_smile_tongue:

Actually, I've been told that butter has a tendency to burn where this goo does not.

I love my Que served with a health side of chemicals!
You're in luck!

Liquid Soybean Oil, Water, Salt, Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Vegetable Monoglycerides and Soy Lecithin, Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Phosphoric Acid, Vitamin A Palmitate, , Colored with Beta Carotene.

Another great video Justin. Can’t imagine how much time that would take ME to do haha. And I love that LSG smoker. Talking with Chris now about getting a 24x36.
Anyway, I agree with post above somewhere - I like rubs on pork, s&p on brisket.
Thanks again for the informative and entertaining video.

Back