MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #76
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I did Not go into the Manual pdf.......just on their web pages........I have edited the post on Green Mountain......

Old 07-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #77
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
No cuz they are above price range I have been looking at........
Like I siad in this thread - I think I want PID from all the controller swaps on the cheaper Units I seen guys doing......they all go to PID - Savanah or Smoke Daddy - maybe cuz thats all there is aftermarket.?
Yeah, pretty much right, but they have this theory that solid temps produce better food. Unless you are supplementing the smoke, PID's will produce less smoke from pellets. You need the swings to die down the fire so the new pellets will smolder some before igniting.

New England makes a knockoff PG500, without the cold smoking tray.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #78
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.
No because they are Higher $ than the Range I have been looking at......

Quote:
Thanks to you Farkers I’ve been eyeballing Poopers on InterWeb, YouTube and Pellet People Forums and have come to some Conclusions.......These are Smitty Conclusions - yours may vary.........

First what I consider Top Tier High End are Out - like Memphis n others are Out. Too High $.
Second - Lower End is Out. Seen too many people replacing controllers on PitBoss, Camp Chef and others due to Large temp swings ( up to 100*), temp overshoots and flame outs. They are replacing them with $200+ PID controllers
And these grills use little to No stainless.

Which leaves me with 2 categories :

High End (for me): picks would be a Mak 1 Star or a Blazin Grill Works Grand Slam or Grid Iron.

Mid Grade: 1st pick RecTec Stampede or Bull. -Better controller, stainless burn pot, shield, grease pan and grates. And their Customer Service Ranks High
2nd pick: Green Mountain Jim Bowie.

There’re are a couple others that would fall into those two groups but I don’t like them for one reason or another - some I just don’t like how they Look.

So OverAll if I Bumped my Head and went Goofey - I would order a RecTec Stampede with optional top grate and exhaust Vents . $988 to my Door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJoDZIC3KDM&app=desktop

Now let’s get back to Gravity Fed and Insulated Cabinet talks.......
And my Conclusions may change as I Learn more........
But as of right Now - RecTec Stampede still Looks like the Best Bang for the Buck For Me (and in Original Post said Green Mtn. was my 2nd Choice) but I May Never get a Pooper.......

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-08-2018 at 05:11 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #79
SmittyJonz

Quote:

New England makes a knockoff PG500, without the cold smoking tray.
these:? https://heatredefined.com/collection...oducts/21pg100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSXcOgaELWY

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...FZBnAQodr3QOww

I don't find a New England?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVzLaO7nr1I&t=136s

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-08-2018 at 07:17 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #80
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
if you wanted to try a Cheaper One I'd try a PitBoss Austin but you may end up putting a Savanah or Smoke Daddy PID controller on it ($200).......
Even that isn't guaranteed to work. I tried to switch to a Smoke Daddy, and it was months of headaches. I had to go through 2 controllers, 1 fan, 1 auger motor, and finally I just shipped it all back to them and went back to stock. For me, it never worked and my food was ALWAYS covered in soot. I really liked the idea of having more temp control, but that one wasn't the answer for me. Always a risk when you start making modifications.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #81
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Even that isn't guaranteed to work. I tried to switch to a Smoke Daddy, and it was months of headaches. I had to go through 2 controllers, 1 fan, 1 auger motor, and finally I just shipped it all back to them and went back to stock. For me, it never worked and my food was ALWAYS covered in soot. I really liked the idea of having more temp control, but that one wasn't the answer for me. Always a risk when you start making modifications.
what pooper?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #82
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
what pooper?
Pit Boss 820. It's put out much more consistent food since I went back to stock.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #83
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Yeah, that's it. I'm just trying to remember off of stored info and things are a little hazy after the margaritas I drank yesterday.

It's a joint venture between the two said companies.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #84
SmittyJonz

So Not to start any arguements - just to add to my Ponderings :

JoshW likes PID and BurntBothEndz does not?

Quote:
That's from Grilla Grillz not Green Mountain, and it is marketing nonsense, from a company that doesn't want to use a PID controller. Not saying anything about Grilla, but that comment is nonsense. Just like Rec Tec saying that thinner metal holds temps better than thicker metal. You have to take the source in account when researching. It's not the temp swing that creates smoke.
Quote:
Have you checked out that controller for the CookShack PG500 grill? You can actually change the drop rate to get wider swings and more smoke.

PID's are not the best way,IMO….but the Mrs would tell you that I'm never hardly right anyways.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #85
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Actually my Yoder doesn't have a PID. I have no preference. A good controller is a good controller. I just take offense when companies try to sell their product, by trying to knock their competition. It's one thing if you are telling the truth, but don't make things up.

Quote:
So Not to start any arguements - just to add to my Ponderings :

JoshW likes PID and BurntBothEndz does not?
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #86
SmittyJonz

Then there's this: but guy doesn't respond to emails and no phone # listed........

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/fo...621908431.html

https://greenmountaingrills.com/prod...jim-bowie-blk/

Old 07-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #87
16Adams

Davy Crockett allegedly can run many hours on this. Crazy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0OXXR0..._aGQqBbNXWB5G9

Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #88
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Actually my Yoder doesn't have a PID. I have no preference. A good controller is a good controller. I just take offense when companies try to sell their product, by trying to knock their competition. It's one thing if you are telling the truth, but don't make things up.
Correct, Yoders make and program their own controllers. Most folks don't realize, but they are programed with the use on BBQers Delight pellets.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #89
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I am aware, but I still prefer Lumberjack, and they are cheaper.

Quote:
Correct, Yoders make and program their own controllers. Most folks don't realize, but they are programed with the use on BBQers Delight pellets.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #90
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I'm leaning towards the Blazn Gtills. The double walls and extra racks are what are swaying me. Also like that it appears to have an easier system to clean out ashes. Doesn't hurt that the add-ons are cheaper. Only concern is the Yoder is 100 pounds heavier. Decision is not easy...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote