MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugetsius View Post
I did the same thing. I won the Sams Club in North Charleston in 2014 (My only GC still) then went to Richmond and came in 2nd from last. I was using vinegar sauce on my pork and ribs that I personally think did ok in South Carolina and North Carolina, but when I left there it wasn't good. Visiting Richmond made me stop making my own sauces. I was actually sad about that........
The only thing that makes me feel slightly better about the whole thing was that there was a group of 5 or 6 SC/GA teams there, and we all pretty much finished bottom of the pack.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
You might want to reconsider this as this is where Sharon and I started and developed our rub and techniques, Jim Minnion is there, Judy Anderson (Mad Momma) had spectacular results all over the US, Beaver Castors, Conrad Haskins, et.al. just to name a few. There really is no difference in the PNWBA than the rest of the US and Canada except for the judging, which changes between organizations and areas.
Cool...all I know is we have cooked our cook in Vegas, California, Kansas City, and Lynchburg...other than an occasional call we have never finished in the top 5. Up here we have pretty much finished top five in every competition the last 5 years in a row...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Cool...all I know is we have cooked our cook in Vegas, California, Kansas City, and Lynchburg...other than an occasional call we have never finished in the top 5. Up here we have pretty much finished top five in every competition the last 5 years in a row...
I know that feeling
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #19
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
What works for us in the Pacific Northwest does NOT work anywhere else...lol! That said...we rarely cook anywhere else...other than The Jack when we are lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
You might want to reconsider this as this is where Sharon and I started and developed our rub and techniques, Jim Minnion is there, Judy Anderson (Mad Momma) had spectacular results all over the US, Beaver Castors, Conrad Haskins, et.al. just to name a few. There really is no difference in the PNWBA than the rest of the US and Canada except for the judging, which changes between organizations and areas.
Quote:
There is absolutely a difference in PNWBA and KCBS flavors and judging. Pnwba has made changes to a 10 point scoring, weighting of the different categories, and have a different training system. We have gone away from a heavy Pnwba schedule because we want to do better around the country and our results show it. We are the #1 kcbs team in the PNW. The people mentioned above while great in their day they don't compete anymore and the circuit is different now.

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #20
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I sure wouldn't use the judging at a Sam's Club contest as a judge for anything.
What makes Sam's this way?

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #21
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
What makes Sam's this way?
Could be the way they go about choosing their judges? Most contests,but not Sam's, send out early renewal for judges that did their contest the year before....

Last edited by Burnt at Both Endz; 12-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Add text
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2015, 01:12 AM   #22
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
... Plus if you only cook 1 or 2 events in different "regions" and you do well or bad that isn't a big enough sample size to really know if the changes where what made the food good or bad or if it was just a random weekend............
Spot on fnbish. We're a West coast team that does 1 or 2 contests per year in the Mid Atlantic region, semi funded by charity sponsorship - Pulmonary hypertension Association.

We cook exactly the same flavors we cook at home and have done well on occasion - not so well on other occasions. It takes some real cash to be able to collect data coast to coast.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #23
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
There is absolutely a difference in PNWBA and KCBS flavors and judging. Pnwba has made changes to a 10 point scoring, weighting of the different categories, and have a different training system. We have gone away from a heavy Pnwba schedule because we want to do better around the country and our results show it. We are the #1 kcbs team in the PNW. The people mentioned above while great in their day they don't compete anymore and the circuit is different now.
Agreed on the judging...big difference between PNWBA and KCBS...but not so on the flavors...at least where we are concerned...we have done well at all the KCBS events up here cooking our same flavors...they just don't care for it much elsewhere...

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #24
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You need a Midwest Offense!!! We are big into smash mouth football here. ;)

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #25
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
You need a Midwest Offense!!! We are big into smash mouth football here. ;)
Lol! 😊

Tags
bbq, beef, chicken, cooking, food, kcbs, pork, sauce, smoke