MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
chefman316
On the road to being a farker

Lightbulb Competing in other areas of the country

How many of you enjoy competing in other parts of the country and how many do not? Do you enjoy changing flavor profiles or do you find it difficult? Does anyone do BETTER cooking a regional style of BBQ that you actually do not like?
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We have cooked in 43 diferent states. Have had a little success from coast to coast, cooking what we always turn in. Smokin 'Guns and Blues Hog have been in my bag since we began. We do use other rubs and sauces though. But SGH and BH are about as good of a base as there is.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm pretty sure in KCBS that most teams don't change. Plus if you only cook 1 or 2 events in different "regions" and you do well or bad that isn't a big enough sample size to really know if the changes where what made the food good or bad or if it was just a random weekend............

Changing for region can lead you down a rabbit hole of overthinking things quickly. Especially if you are a new team. There are other things to focus on.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

cooked 9 states this year same recipes in each...in top ten 24 out of 25 so we dont change for geography.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Reminds me of the wise words of ole Podge. A Big Mac tastes the same in LA as it does New York.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

It's hard enough figuring out what scores at home! Good is good coast to coast.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We're planning on cooking a KCBS event in Michigan this coming summer, and I will not change a darn thing for this event. As Jason said, changing things for one or two events will get your mental game off kilter, and that is cause for trouble down the line. We're doing it as a fun experience, and I have no anticipation of doing well up there, but any success we find will be a bonus to just doing something different.
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
chefman316

Quote:
Originally Posted by INmitch View Post
Reminds me of the wise words of ole Podge. A Big Mac tastes the same in LA as it does New York.
It sure does!
[COLOR=sienna][B]Member: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]KCBS, NBBQA, IFT, Research Chefs Association [COLOR=#008000][B]CBJ#: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black]80380[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]*Contact us for sponsorship opportunities*[/B][/COLOR]
[URL]http://axemenbbq.com/2015/12/14/axe-men-bbq-now-part-of-the-bbq-brethren/[/URL]
chefman316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Hot Wachulas

It is different. I notice a difference in the north east, the midwest and the south. These aren't great changes but little differences. Sometimes just presentation can kill you in a region. Putting the wrong cut in can kill you. I think judges in the midwest are more set in their flavor preferences. I think in the southeast you can get away with being different.

You won't score well anywhere until you can cook it perfect every time.
Hot Wachulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 PM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Whether it's true or not about keeping flavors the same wherever you cook, I don't know. But we had a pretty good year cooking in Georgia and SC, got 3rd overall at the charleston Sam's and headed to Richmond for the regional and got our butts WHOOPED. We used the same flavors we always do, and I thought we had a good cook but the judges thought otherwise.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
Nugetsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Whether it's true or not about keeping flavors the same wherever you cook, I don't know. But we had a pretty good year cooking in Georgia and SC, got 3rd overall at the charleston Sam's and headed to Richmond for the regional and got our butts WHOOPED. We used the same flavors we always do, and I thought we had a good cook but the judges thought otherwise.

I did the same thing. I won the Sams Club in North Charleston in 2014 (My only GC still) then went to Richmond and came in 2nd from last. I was using vinegar sauce on my pork and ribs that I personally think did ok in South Carolina and North Carolina, but when I left there it wasn't good. Visiting Richmond made me stop making my own sauces. I was actually sad about that........

Yoder YS1500
Kamado Joe Classic 18"
Weber Smokey Mountain 14"
Jambo J-3

Palmetto Pitmasters Competition Team
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmetto-Pitmasters/328468683977456"]Follow Palmetto Pitmasters on Facebook[/URL]
Nugetsius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I sure wouldn't use the judging at a Sam's Club contest as a judge for anything.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #13
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I sure wouldn't use the judging at a Sam's Club contest as a judge for anything.
Amen!

I've competed all over the US and Western Canada and done quite well without changing any thing. The only time I change is when it is an IBCA contest where you have to slightly overcook all of the products because of the way of judging. We sill use the same rub developed at a Paul Kirk class in 1999.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

What works for us in the Pacific Northwest does NOT work anywhere else...lol! That said...we rarely cook anywhere else...other than The Jack when we are lucky!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #15
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
What works for us in the Pacific Northwest does NOT work anywhere else...lol! That said...we rarely cook anywhere else...other than The Jack when we are lucky!
You might want to reconsider this as this is where Sharon and I started and developed our rub and techniques, Jim Minnion is there, Judy Anderson (Mad Momma) had spectacular results all over the US, Beaver Castors, Conrad Haskins, et.al. just to name a few. There really is no difference in the PNWBA than the rest of the US and Canada except for the judging, which changes between organizations and areas.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq, beef, chicken, cooking, food, kcbs, pork, sauce, smoke