? about trimming spares

Kirk

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I realize that this question should be in the comp q section but there's more traffic here so...
When trimming spares for turn in, do you leave any of the cartilage rib tips or do you trim 'em down so there's just bone?

That's what I thought. Thanks Kappy!

yup..jsut bone, cut clean and even across the top.. one day I'll be able to cut them so it dont look like i hacked em up with a chainsaw.

Just did 8 racks that way. Course trimmed out the trimmins to feed the chef for the day :)

My technique for trimming spares sucked so that's why I always ended up cooking loin backs...

Finally, got to watch BigMista trim some spares at the Bash and he made it look so simple, which it was.

I was putting way too much into it trying to cut at a very specific spot which was not necessary.

Moving forward, I'd definitely consider trying them more often for personal consumption.

I just start right below the brisket bone and cut straight across and straight down past the last full bone. All the rest is chef's snacks.

Bigmista said:
I just start right below the brisket bone and cut straight across and straight down past the last full bone. All the rest is chef's snacks.

Ditto that Neil!

Anybody want to post specific pictures? Always helpful for us visual learners :).

If you go to the Webber web site, they have a great section on ribs.

trim em before or after cookin? i usually trim mine before and throw the trimmins on as well..

I've been pretty much trimming mie after they were cooked. Granted, I wasn't looking for Competition turn in quality displays, just good ribs to eat. I made some the other day in fact, I'll get pictures up later. The wife even made me take other shots of her dessert and told me I HAD TO PUT HER FOOD ON THE WEB SITE TOO!!!!! and then something else about why couldn't I just look at dirty pictures and movies like regular guys.....

Kirk said:
When trimming spares for turn in...
Thanks to all that replied.
I didn't mean to imply that I was trimming the slabs just prior to turn in, I was asking about the pre-cook prep. The reason I asked this question is that I see comp pics of big spares that look like a St Louis cut but I seem to get racks that have much shorter bones. If I cut off all the cartilage rib tips, I'm usually left with a pretty smal rack but I didn't think it would be right to leave some of the tip on either. Case in point, I did 2 racks tonight and they were so small that they were done in barely 5 hrs. Untrimmed with a bit of brisket bone still attached I think they were about 3.5 lbs. They were very good but I'd like to see them a bit bigger. I guess it's time to find someplace besides Sam's to get my ribs.

Back