MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Graduation Party Quantities

I finally became legit with the HD a couple months ago and as I begin to "pimp" myself a little, I am finding the requests for grad parties are starting to come in. I tried to find some info on here relating to quantities, assuming the numbers will be different (smaller) for this type of party. I know that people will come and go and not necessarily eat the same amount they would if it were the only party for the day.

So in trying to find some basic help with this, I ran across this simple formula (see below) and wanted to see if it made sense or if it is sending me in the wrong direction.

If anyone can provide other ways they figure quantities etc for a graduation party that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Here is the formula I found, any thoughts?

Start by reviewing your invitation list. Divide the people into one of the following lists (a or b).
A:
Add up the number of people you can count on to come hungry (close relatives, close friends)_____________

B:

Add up the rest of the people and cut in half. Our logic here is that more may come but they won't eat much._____________

Add A and B lists together to determine the number of people you should plan to serve:_____________

If your party will overlap with other parties, scale back, because your guests won't be hungry.

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer

Last edited by pat; 04-04-2011 at 03:12 PM..
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good way to either run short or lose your arse.

Always charge by the person and get a commitment WITH PAYMENT the week before. If the customer tells you 50 and 100 show up you fulfilled your obligation.

YMMV.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
big brother smoke

Pat,

Yea just charge per person. It is simple and clear that way.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok so do you reduce the quantity per person at all due to it being a grad party, or would you just estimate based on your normal quantities, i.e. 4oz/person etc?

I always hear people complain about having too much left over due to people not eating, that's why I asked the question.

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer

Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Ok so do you reduce the quantity per person at all due to it being a grad party, or would you just estimate based on your normal quantities, i.e. 4oz/person etc?

I always hear people complain about having too much left over due to people not eating, that's why I asked the question.
I just do the normal quantities. I do not do 10% overage (standard) for events for events like these, because their will be left overs.

It is better for them to complain about waste versus too little

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks Steph. I probably am making too much of the situation, but just trying to learn some things!!

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

Pat,
When you get the head count from the customer, you are agreeing to feed that many people, so if you have left overs they are yours. I make extra on purpose, so I don't run out. Nothing worse then running out, cause it always the caters fault no matter what. If I have extra of sides that I don't want, I give that to the customer and any tins of meat that has been opened and placed on the table I give to them also. I normally bring some clamshells for people to take that stuff home. There is nothing wrong with keeping the extra tins of meat you make have holding. You made extra on purpose, in case your estimate was low or the customer had more then expected show up. This can make you look like a hero, when you tell them they have had the agreed 100 go through the line and there are still people in line, but because you're a professional you still have food to feed them. I good way to keep track of people is to only set out that many plates as agreed head count. I helps keep a pretty close total. Then you can get more plates out and charge for the rest that will be eating. One way to keep a customer from low balling the number in attendance is to agree to a set amount for the agreed amount of people and then a higher price for any above that.

On the other hand, if they buy the meat and sides by the lb or what ever unit you want to use. Then any extras are theirs to keep. If they sqwalk about how much is left over, its usually because of poor estimating. You will probably help them decide how much they need for their 100 guests. Once again set out 100 plates. Now if you have meat left over, count the plates left and explain its because they only had 60 guests show up. If they are nice about it, I will offer to by the meat back, at half price.

Sorry for the long reply, you will find a system that works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post

KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks Don...appreciate the reply. Lots of good info.

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer