Grills as status symbols?

Grain Belt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I overheard several people at work talking about grills. They were mentioning Traeger pellet grills and Big Green Eggs. All three people talking were women and they all had common, cheap gas grills. They wanted to buy an upgrade for their husbands. They saw me listening and said, “We’ve had your food at parties, we want our husbands to do stuff like that.” I told them that everything I have cooked for parties (Ham, Turkey, Chicken, Chuckies, Pulled Pork, Wings, ABT’s, etc) has come off of a 20+ year old Weber kettle. They were shocked. I said you can go to a store and buy a Weber kettle for $100-$180, get a few bags of charcoal and a bag of apple or cherry wood chunks and then could get after it. I then said if you want to go cheaper you could also go the craigslist/marketplace/let go route and get a kettle for $20-40 bucks and clean it up with Easy Off oven cleaner. Then grab a few new grates if needed and then wait for the big box charcoal sales this spring and buy ten bags or so and then cut your own hardwood chunks from a local source. The ladies smiled at me and then said, “We love your food but we want a grill that will look nice when we have people over.” I just mentioned that I have had really good food off of Eggs and Traegers and then said I would be happy to share recipes and rubs/sauces if they ever had the need. Oh well. I thought I was giving them the key to BBQ zen but to each their own. The hobby is great fun regardless of what people like and how they get there.

Might hold a "cooking class" and invite everyone for a demo. I understand they may be wanting to replace a rusted out beat up gas grill. Point them in weber's direction.

Well, I've always found it to be true that women really dig men who cook on copper Kettles.

When I bought my Hunsaker I figured everyone would think I was the coolest dude around, but that didn't happen. Someone did tell me that it looks like a meth barrel though.

People put a lot of stock in appearance. Seems logical they want a cool looking shiny grill.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

People want stuff solely -or mostly- based on looks? Say it ain't so.

Some folks you can't help- the important thing is to know the exact moment you are wasting your time- then stop doing it.

I appreciate wanting nice things. I had to "get by" a lot of my childhood, so now that I can-I will often buy a nice version of what I'm interested in. Unfortunately, I have many expensive vices-whiskeys, cigars, cooking, power tools, etc. It's always a balancing act. I will roll my eyes at people that want the expensive grill, but can't use it. I respect the guy that can really work the grill, and gets the expensive one. It's a shift from showing off, to enjoying what you use (maybe with a side dish of showing off)

Now, here’s the other side.

A few years ago the only grill I had was a cheap gasser. I bought a Traeger on a whim at Costco and the rest is history. If they get the bug those will work fine too.

I think some of the posters are right when they mention quality of food earns respect off of any cooking device. My mentality on grills is my own. I have referbished Webers for multiple buddies who have the cooking know how to be very good with them. I have a BIL who is very skilled on his BGE and a hunting buddy who can knock out some excellent food on his Traeger. Both are great cooks in general too. A broker friend once took me to a luxury cabin on a lake. It had a Wolf range worth something around $8000. My friend said it had never been lit by the owner. Only the plumber checking the gas lines had ever fired it up. The owner wanted a “showcase kitchen” but did not cook a lick. So be it. I guess we all like it when people are impressed with our stuff. Sorry if my original post was a “duh” or offended anyone. The world is just very interesting to me, especially as I age.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean.I would venture to wager that Not ONE of those women nor their husbands will ever cook a meal in their lifetime that can compare to meals prepared by Cowgirl and that Trusty Tractor Rim! :thumb:

I'm in the same boat as TravelingJ. I never went hungry as a kid but there wasn't extra for sure. Now with good budgeting and saving I like some of the nicer stuff. However it doesn't matter how fancy it looks if you can't produce good food. Start slow and figure out if it is even something you enjoy doing before buying that shinny new thing. I can't stand wasting money or time.

I know exactly what you mean.I would venture to wager that Not ONE of those women nor their husbands will ever cook a meal in their lifetime that can compare to meals prepared by Cowgirl and that Trusty Tractor Rim! :thumb:

Hoss=truth

Fancy looking cookers don't make great BBQ. Great bbq cooks do! I would never be without a Weber kettle. I do have pit envy sometimes especially here in Qtalk. But I am very happy with my kettle(s) homemade stick burner and my UDS. However, if I had a Jambo J5 parked in my driveway that might be a bit of a status symbol. HAHA!

Now, here’s the other side.

A few years ago the only grill I had was a cheap gasser. I bought a Traeger on a whim at Costco and the rest is history. If they get the bug those will work fine too.

THIS!
I started with a simple charcoal grill, learned about smoking and L&S and bought a Traeger. The rest is history and in my signature :mrgreen:

Back