MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #31
Biloxidman
is One Chatty Farker

I do especially today with Hurricane Zeta coming this way! Usually I just cover with the Kamado Joe cover that I bought with the Classic And a jumbo Primo cover that works on myBig Joe in a stainless steel table with the two side panels up..
Biloxidman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #32
Maylar
Full Fledged Farker

Covered in winter, outdoors in summer. Which reminds me that my gasser's cover has some tears and needs replacing.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #33
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Always cover. Black really shows the dust so it helps keep them clean and slows down the rust...

Old 10-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #34
No1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : NoOne

Living in Colorado, 100% covered. Besides the snow, hail, tornados the sun is also brutal. After a cook and clean one summer I left my WSM out uncovered because I was going to cook again in a day or so and the weather was great. The sun hit it hard and heated it up and the neighbors kid (3 or 4 years old) came over and wanted to play BBQ, touched the side and burned her hand bad enough to leave a couple blisters on her palm.

That wouldn’t have happened if I had it covered. Yes, the sun will chew through some covers, but I like to take care of my toys and I don’t want anyone to get hurt because of them either.
Thai Tao Charcoal Burner

*On Order - AZ BBQ Outfitters 48” Argentine Grill w/ Brassero
No1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #35
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I used to be a fan of covers but after uncovering my PBC, Good One Open Range, and Good One Marshall after not using them for awhile and finding quite a bit of rust, I quit covering them. The PBC ended up having a hole in the bottom. I always keep my cookers cleaned out with no ash inside.

These cookers live under a carport that has sides but both ends are open so they usually don't get any direct moisture but the wind does blow some of it on them. This carport also has a concrete floor which I feel contributed to a lot of the rust since most of it was confined to the bottom of all three. I feel like the covers trapped moisture underneath them and help create these issues.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #36
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I have went no covers on my M1 and campmchef flat top (do have the SS cover on it though)...the weber performer at the lake has a cover but it sure seems to me that moisture gets trapped under the covers and makes rust more of an issue. I plan on leaving my workhorse offset in patina finish uncovered all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #37
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I have went no covers on my M1 and campmchef flat top (do have the SS cover on it though)...the weber performer at the lake has a cover but it sure seems to me that moisture gets trapped under the covers and makes rust more of an issue. I plan on leaving my workhorse offset in patina finish uncovered all the time

When did you order the workhorse?!?!

Old 11-14-2020, 11:04 PM   #38
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
When did you order the workhorse?!?!

About a week ago. Got an email saying production won’t start until first of March. That’s what I get for waiting around!:)

Old 11-14-2020, 11:17 PM   #39
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
About a week ago. Got an email saying production won’t start until first of March. That’s what I get for waiting around!:)

Sweet! Gonna keep the M1?

Old 11-15-2020, 01:13 AM   #40
Whodat985
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Whodat985

Mines covered only one not in this picture is my offset I roll out the way when not using get
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6D376B8E-E702-4587-B990-5B294D1DB68D.jpg (51.1 KB, 49 views)
Whodat985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2020, 01:18 AM   #41
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have a open covered patio where my cookers live. UV from the sun over time attacks any paint or enamel over time. Also wind with grit, and general debris. Don't forget the birds and insects and pollen. I've gone out and seen what was a clean cover when I put it on and then see what it looks like and think if it was not for the cover it would be in and on that smoker.

One more thing I learned many years ago is to never close off all the vents or you could invite mold due to condensation. A small vent opening on top and bottom will allow some air and evaporation.

Congratulations on the cooker and just my .02.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #42
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Uncovered here. I can't deal with a large tarp everytime I want to mess with it. Don't get me wrong. I babied the hell out of this thing when I first got it. Now it just sit outside and I've made some additions to keep it water tight in the rain. Planning on adding a roof once the reverse flow chamber is done.
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" & 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #43
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

DrEven the covers I use for "Postal Weather" are beginning to look like the grapes of wrath. I was gifted a new Primo Cover, Think the OK Joe Bronco covers are in stock locally 30$, Tiernan recently sold and heard a rumor that the new owners are manufacturing The SOB again so perhaps a cover-though guessing it would probably be north of 125$ like the Primo. Fornetto may just get a generic bullet cover.

Or perhaps, I may just go buy a couple blue tarps and utilize my roadfind bungee cords. Or as Toast says,or Formerly Toast says, always allow airflow via vents. Life on The High Plains is not the same as life in the swamp.

It's not as if I'm spending money on fishing trips

“stay silent, they haven’t seen what you’ve seen”
Wife

Last edited by 16Adams; 11-15-2020 at 09:10 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #44
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
Been sitting in the rain, snow, sun and cold for 15 years. I kind of like the patina.

That, ^^^^^^, may be the biggest pellet hopper I've ever seen.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #45
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Do you cover your pit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Sweet! Gonna keep the M1?

Not sure yet. I doubt it. I’ll Maybe get a pk360 or a weber 26 for quick grills. I can’t stand weber legs, so would have to build a table for a 26”...PK is attractive to me that way. My deck is only so big and I’m not a fan of having numerous grills scattered about the deck though as the flat top takes up some room as you know!

I have a weber performer at the lake that I really like using. I Could take the M1 down there I suppose. But steps are a no go with that thing!

Tags
lone star grillz offset, LSG, maintenance