Beef tongue question.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I purchased a yellow tag tongue today. My plan was tacos tonight but things came up. The tongue is still boiling and I planned to smoke it after removing the skin. That will be too late at this point.
Once I remove the skin and cool the tongue can I vacuum seal and chill in the fridge until Saturday? Today was the expiration date on the tongue but it smelled fine and will have boiled for over 2hrs. Thanks.

You absolutely can. I'd leave th skin on take it off after smoking on Saturday.
Thanks. While I'm asking questions I was also wondering if I can cook a few nearly expired tongues and freeze? Then just thaw and bbq? Beef tongue is crazy expensive but I got a good deal on the yellow tag. I might go back tonight and grab a couple more.

Thanks. While I'm asking questions I was also wondering if I can cook a few nearly expired tongues and freeze? Then just thaw and bbq? Beef tongue is crazy expensive but I got a good deal on the yellow tag. I might go back tonight and grab a couple more.

I don't see why not. Just I'd leave the skin on and vacpac it tight.

Beef tongue prices are highest I've seen ever. 11.49/lb at costco business.

I don't see why not. Just I'd leave the skin on and vacpac it tight.

Beef tongue prices are highest I've seen ever. 11.49/lb at costco business.

I saw oxtail for 11.49/lb at a local grocer the other day. The offal cost more than the steak :crazy:

Sounds OK to me. :thumb:
Just a thought if you're going to buy some more of them. I would not cook them, I would vac seal them and freeze them. That way you could cook one or more at a later date. That way you could also cook it differently than just smoking it.

JWWFM-YMMV

Thanks for all the input. I went back on Tuesday to grab a second but someone beat me to them. They are back up to $38+. I got the one for $18. I'm pretty sure people don't want to spend full price (I know I dont) so I suspect sometime next week I might see some more that are yellow tag. I'll be looking to grab a couple this time. You gotta be opportunistic in these times.

You absolutely can. I'd leave th skin on take it off after smoking on Saturday.

Why this that? I've never cooked (or eaten) tongue, but I would think you'd want more smoke to get in to the meat? Or is it so lean and thin that you don't want that?

Back