MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
HarpAggie2001
Found some matches.

Default Fireboard Temp Monitoring

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has experience or has heard any feedback about the Fireboard -- wifi based temperature monitoring. https://fireboard.io/home

It seems pretty nice, but I'm a little nervous about forking over the money without any real world feedback. I need something that will let me monitor numerous probes (6 or more) while I'm away. Any feedback (or alternate suggestions) would be appreciated. I tried using the iGrill a while back and it was a nightmare.

I'm also considering using a wifi enabled power outlet and plugging a desk fan into it and creating a poor man's stoker. It wouldn't be on a thermostat, I'd just monitor chamber temp with the fireboard, then kick on/off the desk fan manually (from my iPhone).

This will be used for a reverse flow pit 9' in length.

Thanks in advance!
Brandon
HarpAggie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
GLOCKer
On the road to being a farker

For what the kit costs, I'd rather spend that $100 and get a Cyber Q with the fan capability built in and all of the relevant programming. Granted, that's a big jump in price and it isn't cheap. :( But I love the Cyber Q and I know that it works!
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
HarpAggie2001
Found some matches.

Yeah, I considered it. Its just that I don't want to alter my smoker. Besides the added cost of modifying the smoke box, it just seems like one of those things that will quit working in a few years, and I'd have a hole in my box to contend with. Not to mention its a trailer smoker and occasionally gets rained on while I've got it away from home.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

sylntghost just got one here is the thread or he might chime in here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=241145

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Roybus
Found some matches.

Rofl, you have to send a picture of this setup when its done. Love the wifi outlet idea. I doubt a cyberQ could fuel a 9 foot pit. Looks like the range on the fireboard is good, go for it.
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
Weber iGrill Mini
Thermapen Mk4
Roybus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

I just got my fireboard last week and love it. The wifi pickup is great.even under my metal roof pole barn.i love that the app graphs your probes. I have yet to drive away from the house and test It. If your cellphone picks up wifi where you intend to cook so should the fireboard.i say go for it.
Rodney. 24x75 Shirley cabinet with first hip roof main chamber. Shirley double burner griddle stand.kamado joe big joe.weber kettle.4 & 8 gallon Cajun fryers. Lone star grillz large insulated vertical cabinet
sylntghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I got one today. It looks really cool but I haven't used it yet.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #8
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
I got one today. It looks really cool but I haven't used it yet.
please post your feedback even if it is in a new thread , I am wanting one bad but what I got works just fine . you guys might twist my arm and that is not hard to do .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
HarpAggie2001
Found some matches.

Just wanted to update everyone. I got the Fireboard, and it kicks A$$. Cooked 3 briskets, 4 shoulders, and 3 racks o ribs. I tested it out the day before my cook and had zero issues. Very user friendly and intuitive. You can tell it was built by guys who know how to BBQ, unlike the iGrill (my personal opinion). About 30 minutes in to my cook the app crashed and wouldn't re-open. It just so happens that my internet went out about the same time, I'm not sure if that would have any effect on it. Regardless, I updated my app software, restated my phone and all was well. I was flipping out and I shot an email to the customer service department. I received a phone call and multiple emails helping me troubleshoot within an hour. Mind you this was on Sunday. Its a new gadget, and a new company, stuff will inevitably go wrong, its how they handled it that was impressive. If you're considering getting one, don't delay. I hope demand soars and prices go up. Products and service like this company should be rewarded. Nice work boys!

Last edited by HarpAggie2001; 01-25-2017 at 10:56 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
CSchieck
On the road to being a farker

I received one last week, and ran it through some testing this past weekend. It has performed well thus far, and I have had no issues with either the software or hardware. I ran it with 4 ambient air probes dispersed throughout the cooker to help determine temp differences, and the data was easy to read and process. The device connected well to the WiFi at the house at a location where I usually lose Wifi on the phone. So far, so good.

Tags
fireborad, monitoring, Temp, wifi