MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #16
blake
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post

As for cheaper coolers with a decent lid can you give a recommendation? ....
Marine and extremes are usually in the model name be it Coleman, Igloo, or Rubbermaid. They will hold plenty of heat when completely full. I think you will appreciate the lighter weight when it comes time to wash or move them.

The heavier rotomolded Orca (made locally yea!) work great, but overkill IMO for this application.
blake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #17
JAKs Q & brew
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
More importantly, if using on a mobile trailer. What does the health department say.???
That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure the health department won't allow you to hold food in a non NSF holding oven which is temperature controlled.

Also, I have seen holding ovens in food trucks before, so not sure about the voiding the warranty. A whole bunch of food trucks in LA work out of a central commissary to cook the food and then transport it all in holding ovens to serve out of the truck.
JAKs Q & brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : onemanlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
"Unfortunately, the use of our commercial equipment is not intended for use in residential settings. These items are made to comply with commercial, not residential, codes and therefore can be inappropriate, unsafe, and not intended for use in a home environment. Commercial units often use more energy than residential units and are louder while running. Not only that, but placing these units in a home environment voids the warranty. "

I responded back that I was going to use it in my food trailer and this was their response.

"I do want to inform you that Avantco Equipment installed on a food truck or trailer will be limited to a period of 30 days from the original date of purchase." They did clarify that the warranty would be 30 days from date of purchase, though the manufacturer offers a 3 year warranty (which I had selected).
Huh strange. Perhaps electrical code for commercial kitchens makes it a better choice for their products & coverage of them after the fact. Alternatively they're loud AF & they don't want the home-buyer to purchase one to find out it's loud which is different than the cooks & lineman who have to work near it during their shifts. One of those groups get to complain & have money in on it.

On top of the possibly overkill cooler suggestions(myself included) the heated cambro the other gent suggested sounds like a great idea as well!

Old 02-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #19
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure the health department won't allow you to hold food in a non NSF holding oven which is temperature controlled.

Also, I have seen holding ovens in food trucks before, so not sure about the voiding the warranty. A whole bunch of food trucks in LA work out of a central commissary to cook the food and then transport it all in holding ovens to serve out of the truck.
I can definitely put a warming cabinet on my food trailer regardless of the warranty. I posted the conversation I had with the sales rep earlier in the thread. As for the health department that's kind of a gamble...I know they "like to see" top of the line equipment, but if they temp the meat in the hot hold they'll see it's over 145° so they can't really complain. Well, yeah, I'm sure they could, but it depends on whether or not they're intelligent human beings.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
More importantly, if using on a mobile trailer. What does the health department say.???

Have you looked at a heated Cambro?? I have one and I use it when we have family gathering like Xmas, easter and such. Heated up and nothing in it, it holds right around 155.

Just another options, but owning a restaurant for 10 years, I first try to make the HD happy.
100% I agree with you here and I'm just kind of looking into my options right now. I used my Cambro today, rather than my Igloo cooler, and I got about a 7 hour hot hold with 8 pork butts. The butts came out juicy as could be and they were fantastic. Cambro with a Camwarmer is likely the best option in the short term.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #21
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Honestly, for any capacity at all, you'll need the double Camwarmer...a Metro cabinet is less expensive to just as expensive & it's an actual cabinet. Just thinking out loud...

Last edited by Cook; 02-26-2021 at 09:03 PM..
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 07:46 PM   #22
txsmkmstr
Full Fledged Farker

Heat loss in the cheap Igloo cooler can be mitigated with a little effort. I found an on-line video that talked about drilling holes in the lid and filling with expandable foam. Trim and tidy up with screws or similar. Made the lids much more efficient. Main thing is to limit the dead space - I prefer towels but they have a tendency to pick up a smoke aroma.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #23
kevinstaggs
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Most of the time I use a Coleman Party Stacker a la Malcolm Reed. I user other coolers, including Yetis when volume demands, but 9/10 its the party stacker.
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 02:43 AM   #24
TravelingJ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Why would using something in a residential environment void a warranty? I thought warranties usually tried to keep you from using something commercially? I saw the same thing recently when researching serving utensils, and I can't figure out how using it in my house is worse than in a commercial kitchen.
TravelingJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 05:21 AM   #25
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Why would using something in a residential environment void a warranty? I thought warranties usually tried to keep you from using something commercially? I saw the same thing recently when researching serving utensils, and I can't figure out how using it in my house is worse than in a commercial kitchen.
As I understand it's the infrastructure of power setup within those kitchens which is designed to power multiple high amp / wattage pieces of equipment. Using commercial equipment in a residential area has the potential to wreak havoc on the breaker panel, and possibly cause serious power issues.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #26
Islandchanel
On the road to being a farker

I have a cheaper Coleman cooler that I modified. First I drilled holes in a few areas of the cooler that were hollow. Then I took a can of foam insulation and put the stew into the holes I drilled and filled all of the empty space with the foam. The cooler now holds temps for a really long time. I put two pork butts into it at 9am after pulling them off. Opened the cooler at 6pm to pull the pork apart and they were still too hot to hold by bare hands.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #27
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Jasonjax posted this on another thread. Looks like something that might work well for you. Appears to hold quite a bit and doesn't break the bank

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk