DoctorCueNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I recently started cooking on a stretch 36 Lang reverse flow. I know in most regular offset smokers you turn the point of brisket and horn of pork shoulder toward the firebox to help protect the flat and money muscle from higher heat so the cook is more even.

Due to the way the reverse flow works where heat is sent under to one side then up and over and back to exit I've wondered which side would need the protection.

Is it still the firebox side or since the heat comes up and over on the opposite side is that where you need to turn the thick parts of meat? Any advice is appreciated as I have a pork contest in about a month.

Last edited:
I've done it both ways and works good either way. Yes normal convention would say point away from firebox on a reverse flow.

You call also rotate.

I have a Lang 60, and I face my point and bone end of the butt away from the fire box. You will have a higher temp on the opposite side of your fire box where the heat come up from underneath the plate.

Put pans of cheap canned biscuits, or leg quarters spread out on your cooking grate, while you have it at your preferred cook temperature. You can then observe the cook rates on the various segments of your main cook grate. Or use probes if available to temp out the various zones. Sounds like you have a good grasp of the relationship of meat position to heat. Once you learn it, that rig ought to make some great groceries.

My cooker usually runs 20 degrees warmer on the right side closer to firebox. I start fat cap down and place it on far left lower rack for low and slow. I then flip and rotate the meat 2 hours in. After I like what I see , I wrap and flip/rotate to original position about 4 hours in. It's the best brisket I've ever made!

Back