MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
Bub-B-Que
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoker Help

What makes it ok to use an old propane tank to make a smoker?

Is there any leftover propane refinance in the tank from the propane? Will the propane work its way into the metal over time while being used for the purpose of holding propane and then seep out later once made into a bbq smoker? I know they are purged, cleaned, and correctly prepared before cutting into (Because if not... well. BOOM!)

I know they are widely used in the commercial world, and I am attempting to have one made for my own use, but my local MD health department is pushing back hard saying the smoker must be NSF, or a cert of the like, to be approved for commercial use.

No advertised commercial offset smoker I have seen is NSF, CSA, EFT, or UL certified and from talking with Lang, Meadow Creek, and Moberg they have no intention of getting that certification done because they have no need for it in other territories they have built for. I contacted Austin Health Dept and waiting on their response (Figured id ask how places like Style Switch and 2M could be ok using smokers made from 1000 gal tanks was ok) I also contacted Charleston SC health dept to see why it was ok that Lewis BBQ could make and use his own smokers made from 1000 gal propane tanks and it be ok. The nice woman there sent me her "Pit room" regulations. I sent those to my local health dept and she just pointed me to our NSF regulations.

I want to put together some facts/ info on why and how they're ok to make and use (while done correctly) in Maryland.
Bub-B-Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

i think i remember the only issue most have is making sure the cook chamber area is completely enclosed. most of the ones you see in austin are screened in. it would make sense that texas would be more lenient than most.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Each state is different. Many health depts are ok with whatever cooker as long as the cooking grates are stainless steel. To get a pit NSF certified you have to basically give them a pit to destroy via testing. That is why you don't see very many pits that have it. Pit builders don't have the time to build an extra pit just to have it destroyed, not even taking into account the dollars.
I wish you luck.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Ole Hickory and Southern Pride are NSF commercial smokers
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

FEC is another commercial maker

Most HD's I have ran into will let you use others besides NSF if:

-It is easy to clean

-They mostly prefer stainless food contact areas

-Repurposed anything is highly frowned upon (drums, tanks, etc...)
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub-B-Que View Post
What makes it ok to use an old propane tank to make a smoker?

Is there any leftover propane refinance in the tank from the propane? Will the propane work its way into the metal over time while being used for the purpose of holding propane and then seep out later once made into a bbq smoker? I know they are purged, cleaned, and correctly prepared before cutting into (Because if not... well. BOOM!)

I know they are widely used in the commercial world, and I am attempting to have one made for my own use, but my local MD health department is pushing back hard saying the smoker must be NSF, or a cert of the like, to be approved for commercial use.

No advertised commercial offset smoker I have seen is NSF, CSA, EFT, or UL certified and from talking with Lang, Meadow Creek, and Moberg they have no intention of getting that certification done because they have no need for it in other territories they have built for. I contacted Austin Health Dept and waiting on their response (Figured id ask how places like Style Switch and 2M could be ok using smokers made from 1000 gal tanks was ok) I also contacted Charleston SC health dept to see why it was ok that Lewis BBQ could make and use his own smokers made from 1000 gal propane tanks and it be ok. The nice woman there sent me her "Pit room" regulations. I sent those to my local health dept and she just pointed me to our NSF regulations.

I want to put together some facts/ info on why and how they're ok to make and use (while done correctly) in Maryland.

You live in a Democrat infested nanny State, thats why.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
Need Help, offset smoker, propane tank, smoker build