MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal
Default Stampede 590 question...

I'm looking at pellet grills and I think I'm close to pulling the trigger. The RecTec is coming out ahead as of right now. My question is, is the stainless steel a definate bonus lining the cook chamber and is it a marketing ploy? I know my old school Traeger is definately pretty ugly on the inside the cook chamber.

Is the any other pellet grill that has a stainless cook chamber @ about $1k thats any good?

Thanks
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never got a pellet Grill but if I was going to buy one I would still buy the stampede like I said in my ponderings thread last summer. Pellet Pro my 2nd Choice.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Are you referring to the entire cooking chamber, inside and out? Or just the internals of the cooking chamber... the parts that are exposed to the most intense heat?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Inside...any major benefit to it being SS?

Old 04-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I actually thought that stainless was pretty common on most pellet grills for the diffuser, drip tray and fire pot. Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, I'd say that stainless is a positive for them given the high heat on two of them and mixture of grease and ash on the other.

In terms of the body, it's a nice upgrade vs my older 680. I've had some rust to deal with on my painted body on the outside and there has been some inside as well where drippings have formed from condensation and mixed with the pellet ash in the bottom. It's just surface stuff so not doing any damage to the thick metal but all else being equal, the more rust resistant stainless would be nice

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I've been looking at Memphis & MAK 2 Star. I kind of like the rec tech 700. I really want a MAK but it's a lot more money & the cooking area seems a little small for the money. MAK is supposed to have great customer service & it's all stainless. The rec tech has a better warranty though. 7 years. It's seems a lot more pellet companies are closing in on quality, cook ability & definitely warranty. It's hard to wonder if $3k for a MAK is going to yield results that are worth paying $1200 for a rec tec? RC had been around for a while too.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks guys....I believe the warranty is now 4 years on the Stampede as well.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
I've been looking at Memphis & MAK 2 Star. I kind of like the rec tech 700. I really want a MAK but it's a lot more money & the cooking area seems a little small for the money. MAK is supposed to have great customer service & it's all stainless. The rec tech has a better warranty though. 7 years. It's seems a lot more pellet companies are closing in on quality, cook ability & definitely warranty. It's hard to wonder if $3k for a MAK is going to yield results that are worth paying $1200 for a rec tec? RC had been around for a while too.

There ain’t nothing wrong with a Rec Tec, lots have them and most love them.

Memphis... well, their manufacturing is about to be sourced to China. That’s a huge no-go in my book.

Yes, MAK’s are considerably more money than a RT, but based on my observations, experience and opinion I strongly believe that in the world of pellet grills, you do get what you pay for...

At the end of the day it boils down to your wants, needs and priorities in a new cooker… and only you can determine that :-)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWilliams View Post
Thanks guys....I believe the warranty is now 4 years on the Stampede as well.
Yeah, the Stampede warranty is 4yrs now.

The SS offers the advantages of weight, corrosion resistance, and no paint on the cooking chamber.
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote