Hep a Brother Out With Brisket Timing

bigsapper

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm planning a family BBQ this weekend.

I'm setting up my BGE to do a slow 18+ hour cook with a packer brisket.

I also have a trimmed flat & a trimmed point.

Do I need to wait awhile before I add the trimmed flat & point? If so how long? The point I planned to make burnt ends with.

TIA.

The last flat I cooked took about 10 hours and probably coulda used a couple more.

The point I want on early enough to give me time to chop it and put it back on while the rest is finishing.

OK, here's my thought process. Since the flat and point separates will be on the upper rack, they'll probably cook slower, so I'll put everything on at the same time.

Makes it easier and easier is better. Especially after a few brewskis.

OK, here's my thought process. Since the flat and point separates will be on the upper rack, they'll probably cook slower, so I'll put everything on at the same time.

Makes it easier and easier is better. Especially after a few brewskis.

When cooking on my XL Egg with an extra level, my upper level is about 20-25 degrees HOTTER than the lower. IMO, you should put the separate point & flat on the lower level & packer on top (if you can fit it).

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that. I was going to put a 9"x9" water pan on the plate setter.

Fark, I don't think the packer will fit on the upper rack.

Not much choice with meat positioning. The separate point/flat in top is running about 10-15 degrees hotter. Probe slides in easily so they're both coming off soon and into the cooler.

The packer is stalled.

Time to drink another beer.

I cook flats in roughly six hours or less. I smoke em at about 275 for a couple of hours, then into the foil. I let them go another two hours and then start checking for tenderness. If its not where I want it yet I check every 30 minutes after. Then when its where I want it I let it cook a few more minutes to help out the bark.

Packer's done; like butta.

Wrapping in cling wrap and foil and placed in a cooler. Will these briskets hold for 6 hours?

Well I figured I'd probe the point that I'll chop at 4 hours. If the meat's below 175 I'll put it in a 200 degree oven.

Sorry for the lack of followup on this. Everything came out great. The trimmed flat on top coulda used a little more time but it was still good. The family was more than impressed.

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

viewFile.html

Sorry I don't have any that was sliced. It was going as fast as I could cut it.

Back