MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Calling on electronics gurus... how to fab an AC adapter for my Party Q?

I bought my Party Q a while back off of craigslist. I have used it many times and like it for overnight cooks since it lets me catch some winks.But I am tired of changing the batteries all the time, since they only last for one overnight cook each time. I have power outlets near my cookers now, so I would like to power the Party Q by just plugging it in.

I thought this would be an easy mod. I soldered in a type M DC power connector to the positive and negative terminals in the battery case of the Party Q. Plugged in an AC-DC adapter 6V 300mA and turned it on - nothing happened. I tried another 6V 800mA adapter and it still didn't work. Both adapters were brand new from Radio Shack.

I'm pretty sure the polarity is correct. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this successfully?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

The 6 volts would be correct and the 800ma should be adequate. If it's been connected wrong you may have damaged the unit. Does it still work on batteries?
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Yep - it still works with the batteries.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 01-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Buy rechargeable batteries and stop farking around is my advice.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

Rechargeable is definitely an option. The only problem is alkaline batteries are 1.5v and rechargeable are 1.2 - 1.25v. Even with a good set of rechargeable, 5 volts is the best you can get.
If you want more info you can PM me.
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Buy rechargeable batteries and stop farking around is my advice.
Thought about rechargeables but that wouldn't solve my problem - I would still be dealing with the issue of the unit possibly running out of juice if the batteries weren't topped up. The fan does run at lower speed/power when the batteries are running low ( but before the low batt symbol comes on). AC power would give it consistent juice throughout the cook.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I would give these a try:
http://www.mahaenergy.com/batteries/
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
lola
Knows what a fatty is.

First off you need to check the amp requirement on the DC motor. Some small DC motors have a large mA requirement. Some may go as high as 2 amps !! Hopefully there is a plate on the motor to help guide you. It sounds like you are not getting enough "power" from the adapter, you might have to step up to a charger to obtain what you need. If you have a good relationship with Radio Shack take it to them and see what they suggest.
lola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
DJnKY
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post

I'm pretty sure the polarity is correct. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this successfully?
Just sayin.... inner should be positive, outer negative

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Thought about rechargeables but that wouldn't solve my problem - I would still be dealing with the issue of the unit possibly running out of juice if the batteries weren't topped up. The fan does run at lower speed/power when the batteries are running low ( but before the low batt symbol comes on). AC power would give it consistent juice throughout the cook.
Call Guru and ask them. You might void the warranty if you do this.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote