7LB Boston Butt on the Bradley Smoker...

G

gatorzeye

I started with a 7 LB Boston Butt. I injected it with Creole Butter and used a dry rub on the outside. I was surprised that it only took 6.0 hours to smoke to an IT of 170 degrees. After reading some posts on the blog... I was under the impression it would take 24 hours or longer to get to the IT of 170 Degrees. I started the smoke at 6 PM last night and it was done by Midnight. I used a maverick ET-7 Dual Probe Remote Temperature Monitor worked OK... But, as was I warned... you really need a instant read thermometer as I noticed a 10 degrees difference. Maverick is good for an estimation but you do need to double check your IT. In any case, the results were fantastic. It was awesome... See Pictures...

DryRub.jpg

Injection.jpg

DryRubapplied.jpg

%20Finished.jpg

%20Chopped.jpg

I usually go somewhere in the 190 to 200 range on butts, but as we all say Butts are done when their done! Nice looking grub!

170 does seem short. I guess it depends on the texture you're looking for. Did you pull the butt or chop it? I normally take mine to 195+ for pulling, which takes about 12-14 hours at 225.

Yeah, you guys are right... I pulled it off a little early. I should have waited for an IT of 195+. It was chopped, it tasted good... It was my first shoulder... I'm learning...

170 does seem short. I guess it depends on the texture you're looking for. Did you pull the butt or chop it? I normally take mine to 195+ for pulling, which takes about 12-14 hours at 225.

X2, I took my first one to like 180, and that'll be the last time I ever stop that short.

Yeah, you guys are right... I pulled it off a little early. I should have waited for an IT of 195+. It was chopped, it tasted good... It was my first shoulder... I'm learning...

I wouldn't pull the butt of the smoker until it approaches 202* or so :) Also the bone (I've only done bone-in pork) should also wiggle freely and the probe should slide in without ANY resistance. This is to pull not slice.

I like the photo of the rub :) What was in it?

It sure is purty, I bet it tasted just fine.

I'd like a plateful, please!
I always take butts to 195 minimum, as high as 202 for pulling, which on my rig is 14 to 16 hours at 225.
Still, I've had some pretty tasty chopped q and this looks like some pretty tasty chopped q.
Nice work.

Dry Rub used:
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3 TBS Paprika
1.5 TBS Garlic Powder
1.5 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Sweet Dry Basil
2 TSP Ground Bay Leaves
1.5 TSP Ground Coriander
1.5 TSP Ground Tyme
1.5 TSP Black Pepper
1.5 TSP White Pepper