Cooker guidance

Jd Swiper

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Guys, i need the Brethren to help me make a big decision on a new pit. My background, i used to own a stumps baby years ago, sold it, moved to Orlando, purchased a pellet cooker and hate it.

The finished product isnt even close to what i’m used to. I want real BBQ flavor on my meats. When i cook i like to fully engage, having some cocktails, putting around the yard a bit, working my pit. I’m on the fence between a Lang 36 Deluxe or a Shirley 48. My dilemma is I’m a bit afraid of the 48 because of the high flow, hot spots where a reverse flow might be easier to maintain fire with my lack of experience. Please advise, all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks Y’all

Last edited:
I have never owned a Lang or a Shirley but from what I can see in pictures and what I have read, the Shirley is the better built cooker.

He has specialized in reverse flows up until recently adding a traditional flow.

So if you are worried about reverse/traditional he makes both.

Can't say enough good things about my Shirley 24x36 reverse flow. Minor temp fluctuations left to right and top to bottom. Easy to maintain temps/fire. I do have to cut a traditional split in half and then split each half (getting 4 mini splits from each split) then typically add 2 mini splits every half hour or so and it purrs along at 275 degrees.

A very quick learning curve and MANY great You Tube videos!

I'm also not a Shirley owner, but I think it's commonly accepted that nothing compares. That said, I think you're going to wait 3 years?

Millscale and Moberg are at around 8 weeks lead if you want to pivot to an offset.

I'm also not a Shirley owner, but I think it's commonly accepted that nothing compares. That said, I think you're going to wait 3 years?

Millscale and Moberg are at around 8 weeks lead if you want to pivot to an offset.

The wait time is in weeks for a 24X36 Patio smoker from Shirley. It’s only custom smokers with that lead time.

I second ( or third?) the Shirley 24x36 RF patio smoker. Best smoker I’ve ever owned.

Get the option that includes the SS shelf.

Langs are good smokers as well. They may not be as popular on here as Shirleys though.
I just wanted to point out that Langs are made up in Nahunta, GA. which is within driving distance from Orlando if you'd like to pay Ben a visit.
I have a Lang 36 patio and I'm very happy with it. It runs just like JeffinNE'S 24x36 Shirley does.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the KBQ at all? You still get to tend a real fire, but get temp control automation.

What pellet smoker do you have? Maybe you have already tried a bunch of stuff, but there could be some things you could do to improve smoke until you get a stick burner (especially if you decide on a Shirley). Pellets do really make a difference, there’s only a few brands that make 100% hickory pellets (CookinPellets and Lumberjack are a couple), most are actually 70-80% oak unless you’re using the special/competition blends. Also, what temps do you cook at? If you’re running 275 like many offsets purr at, dialing down to 200-225° for at least a couple hours at the start can help.

Langs are good smokers as well. They may not be as popular on here as Shirleys though.
I just wanted to point out that Langs are made up in Nahunta, GA. which is within driving distance from Orlando if you'd like to pay Ben a visit.
I have a Lang 36 patio and I'm very happy with it. It runs just like JeffinNE'S 24x36 Shirley does.

Thanks for your reply, I decided on a Shirley and sent out my deposit today.

Have you looked at the KBQ at all? You still get to tend a real fire, but get temp control automation.

What pellet smoker do you have? Maybe you have already tried a bunch of stuff, but there could be some things you could do to improve smoke until you get a stick burner (especially if you decide on a Shirley). Pellets do really make a difference, there’s only a few brands that make 100% hickory pellets (CookinPellets and Lumberjack are a couple), most are actually 70-80% oak unless you’re using the special/competition blends. Also, what temps do you cook at? If you’re running 275 like many offsets tpurr at, dialing down to 200-225° for at least a couple hours at the start can help.
i currently have a Zgrill pellet smoker and almost always use Bear pellets and i usually cook at 225-250 depending on the product and fat content as that seemed to work best on this cooker in terms of rendering the fat the most without drying out the protein.I’ll take a look and find some 100% hickory pellets for my next cook. I went ahead and put a deposit down on a Shirley, 6-8 month lead time.

The wait time is in weeks for a 24X36 Patio smoker from Shirley. It’s only custom smokers with that lead time.

I second ( or third?) the Shirley 24x36 RF patio smoker. Best smoker I’ve ever owned.

Get the option that includes the SS shelf.

For the 24x48 Tyler told me the current lead time is 6-8 months, I sent out my deposit this morning, I’m good with that as i prepare the garage for a proper home for her..

The build quality on the older Langs seemed better on the few I have seen. Personally, if you have a pick-up or real SUV (not car based), I personally would buy used. There are a lot of good well-maintained pits out there to choose from. This Fall should be good for picking up something as people realize they need Christmas money more than a big pit they use very little.

I’m on the fence between a Lang 36 Deluxe or a Shirley 48. My dilemma is I’m a bit afraid of the 48 because of the high flow, hot spots where a reverse flow might be easier to maintain fire with my lack of experience. Please advise, all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks Y’all

Assuming you get a smoker/pit of reasonable size, the temperature difference can be an asset.

Personally, for one cooker, having a "hot" end is nice for chicken so you can crisp the skin (hate flabby chicken wings) and the run butts or brisket on the 'cooler' end. Traditionals can also be tuned to run pretty even.

Also, pay attention to the diameter of the cook chambers. I could be mistaken but, I remember when I was initially in the market, the Lang 36 was pretty skinny and not as wide as most others.

A 20" cook chamber will work well for most people but, the 24" chambers offer a lot of flexibility and tend to flow smoke and heat a bit better. That's not say you can cram a 16" cook chamber full and get a great cook. I've had so many Hams in a WSM that I blocked airflow and choked my fire out! With a little re-arranging, I got my fire back and had a good cook but, the smokey flavor was a little uneven but, most guests were slathering on various sauces so, I 'cherry picked' some good smoked meat and let everyone else drown the less well smoked meat in sauce and EVERYONE was happy! :)

This

The build quality on the older Langs seemed better on the few I have seen. Personally, if you have a pick-up or real SUV (not car based), I personally would buy used. There are a lot of good well-maintained pits out there to choose from. This Fall should be good for picking up something as people realize they need Christmas money more than a big pit they use very little.

I’m a big fan of buying used bbq pits, particularly ones that are made of 1/4 or thicker steel. It’s pretty hard to hurt 1/4” steel, but you can weld on it if you do. I figure the first time you cook on a new pit it’s used, so all I’m doing is saving money while someone else is seasoning it for me.

Congrats on your purchase decision! Did you get a reverse flow or traditional flow? 6-8 months will go fast...can't wait to see pictures!

For the 24x48 Tyler told me the current lead time is 6-8 months, I sent out my deposit this morning, I’m good with that as i prepare the garage for a proper home for her..

Congrats! I think you'll love it. Find a good wood source.

So you're clearing a spot in the garage. Are you one of the people who smoke in the front yard? :biggrin1:

Is that 24x48 a patio model?

I’m not sure, i emailed them, told them what i would like and what i’m trying to accomplish, they gave me a price and i said lets Goooooo!!!!!! ��

Last edited:
I bet the Shirley's could build you a traditional flow that would pass the "biscuit test"!

I’m looking into this biscuit test you speak of. I feel confident i made the right decision even if i need a few months of practice to learn this pit, I’m excited with no buyers remorse at all except maybe i should add on the off road package hust to make it look more bad ass, lol

Back