First Pastrami

dubob

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've made several different type meat pastrami's in the past: goose, elk, antelope, and venison. I did the corning myself and then followed with some home made rub and a smoke in the Bradley smoker. All turned out excellent.

Now that I have a pellet grill, I want to try a pastrami from a store bought corned beef brisket.

I started by opening the vac sealed store package and rinsing the brine solution off the meat. Then it went into cold water for 24 hours with 3 water changes. Then I applied a pastrami rub from bbg.about.com that I've used for all my other pastrami smokes. It then went into the fridge, uncovered, for 2 days. This morning, I put the pastrami prepped corned beef brisket in the smoker at 225*F.

Prepped:
im23EAq.jpg

In the grill and ready to cook:
ThYDxPS.jpg

I wrapped it in HD foil when it got to 150*F and continued to cook. I let it go until 200*F. I did a probe test and it seemed to be tender enough.

I let it rest for an hour wrapped in a heavy towel and inserted into a cooler. I then found out when I cut it that it wasn't QUITE tender enough to be called perfect.
smile.png

I'm going to let it cool down a bit more and then refrigerate overnight. Tomorrow I'll slice it very thin on my electric slicer to be used for sandwiches. Tomorrow night, I'm going to make my own pastrami burger with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. The sample I just tasted was very moist and had a good flavor. I used the Katz's recipe but would guess it is NOT Katz quality pastrami by any means. But it ain't bad - and it AIN'T gonna be fed to the dog.
biggrin.png

I'll post a sandwich picture tomorrow. For now, here is what it looked like at the first cutting.

Results:
6mlJlCq.jpg

Looks like it turned out great!

Okay then - sliced it up this morning after letting it cool overnight.

YAkMvGj.jpg

Next, for lunch, I grilled up a hamburger patty and 3 oz of the pastrami and added some fry sauce to the bun along with lettuce and a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.

uLpVzbV.jpg

Here's the final product ready to eat.

WSpvDRQ.jpg

Folks - it were fit!

qbEWT5J.jpg

Looks fine to me!

If I was the dog, I'd be missing out big time!

Cheers!

Funny that somebody from Virginia would know about our famous Crown Burgers. :thumb:

IMHO, best skiing in North America! Always try and sneak over to Crown Burger once during family trips. Have to go stealth mode since the missus doesn’t really approve.

IMHO, best skiing in North America! Always try and sneak over to Crown Burger once during family trips. Have to go stealth mode since the missus doesn’t really approve.
And I'll wager it's ALWAYS worth the trip. :grin:

Back