Green mountain or grilla grill

Tinybud

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Looking to add a pellet grill/smoker to use for small parties. Came across I good buy on a green mountain grill Jim Bowie WiFi (choice). Like the size, good ratings on customer service, mail reviews on quality more positive than negative. Also looked into the grilla grill silverbac. Not as much room as the Jim Bowie. Both have good and bad reviews. Both have very positive customer service remarks. Looking for thoughts and opinions from users of both. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance

Can’t speak about the grilla but I have nothing but good things to say about our GMG! Talked to customer service twice in the beginning and both times were very pleasant!

The only would coulda shoulda I have is I have kicked meself a hundred times for not getting wifi... 100% get the wifi

I’ve never used a grilla before but I’ve used a GMG. Loved my GMG especially the WiFi. However I think the grilla is a better built unit with the insulation of the firebox and stainless critical components. I’d probably go grilla

I have a GMG DB. I just saw the new GMG Prime models and I do not believe you will find a better sub $1000 pellet grill on the market. The sliding heat shield, vacuum ash clean out and two probes are really nice new features. Plus GMG has one of the most refined WiFi systems out on the market. I'm sure Grilla is a nice grill but GMG really stepped it up with their new Prime models and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a pellet grill.

Grilla Grills make a solid product and they just came out with a new PID system they're calling "Alpha Smoke." It allows you to operate with the PID controlling the cooker, or without it. Grilla Grills goes by the slogan "trust the swing" and this means trust the small temperature swing to provide better smoke flavor from the pellets.

Their customer service is top notch and well recorded on a Facebook group called "My Grilla Grills Smoker." Mark Graham who is the lead engineer and rep for the Grilla Grills smokers is a nice guy and he's pretty intelligent. They have made small changes over the last couple of years which have addressed some minor issues with grills.

https://youtu.be/6FzUwsx5kqE

Pretty cool setup overall. I've never been around a GMG so I can't comment there, but definitely feel like Grilla Grills is at least worth a look.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have a 6 yr old GMG Jim Bowie. When mine dies, I will be looking at the Grilla line of smokers. The GMG has done me right over the years but the Grilla lineup is very intriguing. I have upgraded my GMG to the wifi board a few years back and it was a big waste of money. The wifi has been very finicky and I rarely use it.

Love my GMG Daniel Boone; wouldn't hesitate to recommend GMG. I've also seen the Silverbac in action and tasted food cooked on it; I was impressed. I think you will be happy either way you go.

Can’t speak about the grilla but I have nothing but good things to say about our GMG! Talked to customer service twice in the beginning and both times were very pleasant!

The only would coulda shoulda I have is I have kicked meself a hundred times for not getting wifi... 100% get the wifi

Exactly my thoughts except I have wifi and never use it, so i can't say I'd recommend that or not. I'm just always close to the grill, so never really bother. I also use an external thermometer (Thermoworks Smoke) and usually cook at one temp the whole time.

GMG customer service is second to none. Almost two years on my Daniel Boone and the only issue was a warped fire pot cover and they replaced it no questions asked.

If going GMG, I would recommend the thermal cover for the winter and using some fireblack seal around the lid. My GMG can go forever on a full hopper. Again tho, no real experience with others.

I'm sure either one you'll be happy with!

Grilla grills are nothing special, Z Grills sells the same units for less. Green Mountain isn't necessarily a better grill but they are aggressively priced and have some unique designs. Either will cook about as well as the other.

Exactly my thoughts except I have wifi and never use it, so i can't say I'd recommend that or not. I'm just always close to the grill, so never really bother.

For real?

We will start it and go back in and start or continue prep and one of us is running out to check if it’s reached 150° or not so we can raise temps. We keep think we could just watch the app then raise the temps. That being said, maybe if we’d bought the wifi we’d be asking “why did we buy the wifi?” :laugh:

The grass is always greener dontcha know?

I really like the look of the Grilla Chimp...Moro’s than my GMG DC I have. I might sell it and order the Chimp for the camper

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For real?

We will start it and go back in and start or continue prep and one of us is running out to check if it’s reached 150° or not so we can raise temps. We keep think we could just watch the app then raise the temps. That being said, maybe if we’d bought the wifi we’d be asking “why did we buy the wifi?” :laugh:

The grass is always greener dontcha know?

Yup. I mean, it's definitely cool. I guess I just don't need the app enough during a cook to care to use the app, if that makes sense.

Love my gmg daniel boone with wifi. Customer service has been top notch and for the price point, you get a really good bang for your buck.

Grilla grills are nothing special, Z Grills sells the same units for less. Green Mountain isn't necessarily a better grill but they are aggressively priced and have some unique designs. Either will cook about as well as the other.

I think the grilla silverback has better internal components, like stainless steel grates and firepot. The new controller is not available on the Z Grill. I am not sure about Z-Grills customer service.

Personally, I would much rather have quality of build over bells and whistles. That said, I would choose Grilla Grills. That’s just me though :)

I think the grilla silverback has better internal components, like stainless steel grates and firepot. The new controller is not available on the Z Grill. I am not sure about Z-Grills customer service.

No doubt the Silverbac has a few nice features, but it is essentially the same grill, made in the same factory. Basically the deluxe model. I'd go GMG or Pit Boss before Grilla/Z Grills.

I was in your same position last Fall and it came done to a GMG or Grilla. I ended up getting the Grilla Grill Siverbac and have no regrets. To find out more about their customer service spend a little time on the on the My Grilla Grill Smoker Facebook page.

Back