Smoke setting on pellet grill

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When I smoke ribs on the pooper I usually go about 3 hrs is this too long and for brisket how long should I go on the smoke setting

I'd guess that depends on your grill and how much smoke you like.

Yea this is one of those trial and error things. From what i hear its very difficult to over smoke on a pellet grill. So the more the merrier. Many people even add smoke tubes to the pellet.

Depends on your pooper. For MAK and others like it, you really don't need to use the smoke setting. For other poopers that are known to produce much less smoke flavor, go your known 3 hours. Next time, you'll have a better idea of what's needed.

As others have said, it depends on the pellet smoker. With the Rectec controller on the Extreme smoke setting, it hovers around 180F and produces a burst of smoke every 30 seconds or so. For my taste, 2 hours on this setting was plenty. I was using Pit Boss Comp Blend pellets. I suppose if you used a stronger wood like Mesquite or Hickory, maybe less time, but then again, if you like a stong smoke flavor, maybe 2 hours with stonger woods is what you want.

I don’t have a smoke setting per say on my Assassin. Once it is running and up to temp the meat goes on and it gets plenty of smoke in the meat or at least to my liking. I hate over smoked meat.

Depends on your pooper. For MAK and others like it, you really don't need to use the smoke setting. For other poopers that are known to produce much less smoke flavor, go your known 3 hours. Next time, you'll have a better idea of what's needed.
+1
I never use the smoke mode with ribs on my Mak...I will run it for about an hour when doing brisket, but I am not even sure that is necessary.

Here is a short vid we made of My Rectec controlled PB 820D in extreme smoke mode. This was about an hour in. If you listen, you can hear the blower turning on and off in bursts, you can also see the smoke going out the stack in bursts as well.

https://streamable.com/ru6i2

Here is a short vid we made of My Rectec controlled PB 820D in extreme smoke mode. This was about an hour in. If you listen, you can hear the blower turning on and off in bursts, you can also see the smoke going out the stack in bursts as well.

https://streamable.com/ru6i2

That, imo, is quite light for an extreme smoke mode. Are you happy with flavor and results? If so, that’s all that matters, but that visible smoke output seems light to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That, imo, is quite light for an extreme smoke mode. Are you happy with flavor and results? If so, that’s all that matters, but that visible smoke output seems light to me

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. I love that subtle constant clean thin blue smoke. I never liked the smoke flavor i got from charcoal smokers like the WSM with wood chunks. Even my MES produces a thin blue smoke with the cold smoker attachment, but due to the lack of air flow , it can linger and give the meats an acrid taste. Same with the WSM. From my experience, some people like this. I dont. As a matter of fact, i dont even like to give my briskets more then 2 hours of the smoke you just watched in that video. Its plenty. You would be surprised how many friends and family rave about how good my smoked meats are.

Just bought a Mak 1 so this is what i like to hear. will probably buy a smoke tube as well just in case though as i like to smoke more hot and fast.

I’ve used the Xtreme smoke setting on my Rec Tec only one time.

I usually just run it at 225* and use either a smoke tube or my Smoke daddy Heavy D wood diffuser if I’m not too lazy to load either.

I’m satisfied with the results though at running a straight 225* cook.

Back