Question for ya, John...

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got a beautiful prime grade standing rib roast that's about 11.5#. It's gonna get the Q-salt treatment. I normally just sprinkle it on 'till it looks good, usually while the cooker is warming up.

Is there anything you would do different, i.e. put rub sooner, use a certain amount, etc.? I am generally pleased with the results I get, but just wondering what you'd do since you've thought about this waaaaay more than I have...

In short is there a benifit to hitting with the q-salt earlier & if so how much earlier?

Got a beautiful prime grade standing rib roast that's about 11.5#. It's gonna get the Q-salt treatment. I normally just sprinkle it on 'till it looks good, usually while the cooker is warming up.

Is there anything you would do different, i.e. put rub sooner, use a certain amount, etc.? I am generally pleased with the results I get, but just wondering what you'd do since you've thought about this waaaaay more than I have...

In short is there a benifit to hitting with the q-salt earlier & if so how much earlier?

I either put on right before I cook, or dry brine it at 1-2 hours per pound. (12-24 hours in your case)

The salt will start to pull moisture from the meat if it sits there long. If it is on long enough it will get pulled back in (assuming its wrapped tight), effectively dry brining it.

I've dry brined a few tomahawks and they turned out well. I've not done a rib roast.

With a prime beauty like that, I'd be tempted to stay simple and season right before it goes on.

Or you could get fancy and make a compound butter with the Q-Salt and parsley and then slather the roast with it

:heh:

The ones I did at the Texas bash were the best I've ever done. I hit them good with Q Salt 2 hours before the smoker and then went over them again right before they went into the drum. Q Salt made an incredible crust when I seared at the end. You goona love them Greg!

The simple approach is normally my go-to - in any kind of situation. Might try the dry brining thing as I've never done that with a rib roast before, and I've been cooking these every year for probably a couple decades, so mixing it up a little bit sounds interesting to me.

btw - speaking of dry brining - Harvest Brine on rack of pork last weekend...:shocked: Fark that was good! Wow! Like wow wow! :mod: Just hit the outside with a little sage and garlic powder, a little black pepper - great result!

Thanks John - love yer salts btw! Doing leg of lamb this weekend with yer lamb rub & looking forward to it.

Back