MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 AM   #1
meinbmw
On the road to being a farker

Default Pork Cheeks

I am looking for suggestions on how to smoke up some pork cheeks. The ones I was given are approx. in the 4-5 ounce each range.

What can you folks offer me for advice on how to prepare them?
meinbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
superdan
Full Fledged Farker

I would cure them and smoke them just like belly bacon!
superdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
quamdar
Full Fledged Farker

This is interesting, something I never would have thought to smoke. Make sure to post an update!

Also, anyone familiar with the price of pork cheeks? I have heard they are awesome but never actually looked into getting some.
quamdar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

It's Just like bacon. Cure and smoke.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

A cheek is not a jowl.

Smoke it till you got a nice color. Then braise in a Zin or some butter/olive oil.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
meinbmw
On the road to being a farker

Correct ... not the same thing.

I will give it a shot ... maybe smoke at 225 for 2 hours then foil/braise as you suggested?
meinbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
PDXsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

I just went to lunch the other day (on the vendors dime ) and the swanky place we went had this on the menu:

Pork Cheeks Braised in Hard Cider

Puree of Winter Root Vegetables, Savoy Cabbage, Cipollini Onions
& House Preserved Mustard Seeds 25.

It was so good, I have spent the last three days trying to figure out where I can buy these tasty little suckers to cook myself!...

Most of the recipes I found involved braising, but I would think they would smoke up nicely!
PDXsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

I've got some friends that butcher hogs in the winter months and I have them save some for me (the always end up in the kettle)

Its fine eating but must be cooked for a while, there are lines of connective tissue throughout the meat. Cook it hot and fast= shoe leather(or worse)

I have never smoked them, although its now on my mind. I usually throw them in a slow cooker and cook them all day. Makes great a great taco