New smoker

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Once again I have changed my mind I fell in love with the Shirley 24x36 but it dawned on me I really don't have a place to store the wood inside or out. Even if I bought the bags of splits. So with a heavy heart I have decided to go in the direction of Humphrey's.

You have to do what's best for you. Someone else will enjoy the Shirley and you have a new toy. Sounds like a win/win for everyone!

You have to do what's best for you. Someone else will enjoy the Shirley and you have a new toy. Sounds like a win/win for everyone!
Didn't actually buy the shirley yet but was damn close i unfortunately just dont have the room

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Bags of charcoal and a bag of chunks isn’t that much different from a couple of bags of splits and as long as you have access to a supply of splits
Can’t beat a Shirley

Once again I have changed my mind I fell in love with the Shirley 24x36 but it dawned on me I really don't have a place to store the wood inside or out. Even if I bought the bags of splits. So with a heavy heart I have decided to go in the direction of Humphrey's.

Welcome to the other promised land my friend! You wont be disappointed. What model are you shooting for?

That said, I still want a Shirley. Maybe one day. Until then it's me, the Kettle, and the Battle Box! Currently pretty happy with the two grill spread. Does all of what I need!

Bags of charcoal and a bag of chunks isn’t that much different from a couple of bags of splits and as long as you have access to a supply of splits
Can’t beat a Shirley

I've got 3 burlap bags full of wood chunks weighing about 85lbs each and I use my reverse flow cabinet 3-4 times a week. The 3 bags will last me about 2 years plus for my BBQ needs. How much room would you need to store wood for a stick burner that was used 2-4 times a week for 2 years? I pick up charcoal as needed and stock up when it's on sale. I get about 25 hours plus cooking time on a bag of charcoal so a 100 hours is 4 bags of charcoal. To store a 100 hours of fuel for a stick burner is going to require much more room than 4 bags of charcoal.

Sucks that you can't get what you really want but the Humphrey's is an awesome compromise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the other promised land my friend! You wont be disappointed. What model are you shooting for?

That said, I still want a Shirley. Maybe one day. Until then it's me, the Kettle, and the Battle Box! Currently pretty happy with the two grill spread. Does all of what I need!

Shooting for The Long Weekender

Before anyone thinks they have no where to store wood, all you need is a used 250-300 gallon tote frame.

The fork skid in the base keeps it all up off the ground, piece of scrap plywood over the top keeps the wood dry and allows air to flow in from the sides.

25 bucks all day long on CL or Marketplace, problem solved.

vHV43Svl.jpg

Humphrey's are well built rigs as well and I really don't think you will be disappointed.
I do advise to get a controller like a BBQ guru also.

It sucks you really wanted a Shirley as they are amazing rigs as well but I do understand running wood splits is not for everyone for many different reasons.

Just a FYI there is a couple sweet deals other Brethren's have on used smokers in the sales thread section you may want to check out.

No experience with a Shirley. However, I've owned a Humphrey's Battle Box for a couple of years. It's a fine smoker, especially when the outside temp drops below freezing. With the Fireboard II controller I can monitor the cook inside with minimal time outside to tend the cooker. I believe the cold is colder than it used to be when I was younger. It sure seems that way.

Real estate matters. The Shirley takes up a lot more than the Weekender too.

By all accounts the Humphrey is a great cooker. Enjoy!

Shooting for The Long Weekender

Nice going. Almost bought one of those myself! Somehow talked myself into the BB.

If you do bite on it I think you'll be really happy with the quality of product you get. Mine feels like a little tank on wheels.

It's pretty efficient. ~1 - 1.5 hr/lbs of charcoal. Haven't had a need to fully fill up the firebox more than 75%.

Back