cooking a hot dog

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have a hankering for hot dogs and beans for a quick quarantine dinner, but the grills haven't been uncovered and cleaned yet and I think I need fuel for them. What alternative method works best if I can't grill them? Boil, microwave, oven broil, skillet?

Not what you're looking for but here's another use for hotdogs.

Corn dogs

fpoJfVh.jpg

v05Wiz0.jpg

fUWCm9A.jpg

YRFIdyT.jpg

Just something different.

Also depends on the type of hotdog. Natural case has to be charred in my opinion. Others I like boiled or steamed.

What alternative method works best if I can't grill them? Boil, microwave, oven broil, skillet?

Most of the places around here that serve Coney's (hot dog, mustard, onion, and chili sauce) do them on a flat top griddle. If you don't have that, a skillet would be the closest thing...

slice em (~1") diagonally the entire length to expose more meat to the wonderful butter that they'll cook in, on the cast iron skillet.

toast the New England style hot dog roll in same.

wish i had some dogs.

I can't remember the last time i grilled a hot dog, other then at a family picnic. Our go to is Nathan's natural casing on an electric griddle that's been in the family for probably 40 years. We had to replace the heating element once about 5 years ago, but it works great. We wanted hot dogs last week, I had a pack of Nathans natural casing in the freezer i thawed out, realized we needed hot dog buns and were out of baked beans. Sent wife to grocery store. They were out of hot dog buns, and the baked bean section was completely wiped out. All i had on hand as far as beans were kidney beans, needless to say, we didnt have hot dogs that day, lol.

If you put the end of a stick on a dry piece of wood and rub a stick back and forth between your hands real quick it generates heat which can cause a fire.

Perhaps this rubbing against a board method could be used to cook hot dogs.:mrgreen:

If your hands get tired a drill might help.

I only eat Smiths natural casing hot dogs made right here in Erie and the best way is to sauté them in a pan for a bit, splash a little water and cover to add steam effect. Rotate to add a little brown to each side. Pull at 160 IT for a perfect dog. Hot all the way through with a great snap and no blown cases. Yes I use my thermopen mk4 for dogs lol. Hot dogs are already cooked and I feel most people kill them on the grill and ruin them. I actually prefer my dogs off the griddle this way rather than direct on the charcoal grill. I have more control.

I only eat Smiths natural casing hot dogs made right here in Erie and the best way is to sauté them in a pan for a bit, splash a little water and cover to add steam effect. Rotate to add a little brown to each side. Pull at 160 IT for a perfect dog. Hot all the way through with a great snap and no blown cases. Yes I use my thermopen mk4 for dogs lol. Hot dogs are already cooked and I feel most people kill them on the grill and ruin them. I actually prefer my dogs off the griddle this way rather than direct on the charcoal grill. I have more control.

That sounds similar to Nathans natural casing. The key to a great dog is not over cooking it. That snap, is when all the juices explode in your mouth. I would love to try this Smiths you talk about. We also have Boars Head natural casing, but Nathans is way better, and cheaper.

Dirty water dogs. Heat water to just below boiling. Drop in your dogs & let em cook for about 15 minutes. Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, tomato, pickle, celery salt, sport peppers. The modern day Chicago Hot Dog.

Or try the original Chicago Dog, AKA the Depression Dog, before someone added all the other stuff. Made famous by Gene & Jude's in River Grove IL and Nana's in Streamwood IL. Nana was Gene's daughter.

Bun, dog, mustard, onion, relish, sport peppers & fresh cut fries piled on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppCPxtlQ4Q

100% on the Smith's natural casing dogs. Best hotdog I've had for sure, and I've ate a few...

Back