Cut wood vs split wood

Whodat985

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Which is better to cook with I’m looking into buying a log splitter are chain saw. I would think split wood would burn easier than wood that was cut down the middle an across with a chain saw. What’s y’all thoughts

Get the splitter... You'll have some serious issues trying to "cut" logs lengthwise...

If you are buying cord type firewood. Those splits should average 16 to 18 inch.
You would want to split those splits into 2 or 3 pieces, depending. Unless your running a large offset. Even then some must be split.
To dangerous, and to much time/effort to try to use a chainsaw to split wood.
A chop saw works great for shortening split wood. Into what ever length you want.
I have a hyd splitter...PIA. I'll use one of my mauls or my kingling cracker. The kindling cracker works great.
I also bought a 5 ton electric splitter from HD. Works great also.

If you mean the round is too big or difficult to split somehow, then sure, have at it...it's wood, it'll burn.

Even without a log splitter, most rounds can be split with a maul or wedge and sledge hammer, just takes some experience to read the wood, and the tools are a lot cheaper then a log splitter

A kindling cracker works great for breaking down already split wood into thicknesses appropriate for your cooker.

Y'all have never touched a chain saw right?
You can safely cross cut a log, but you'll never be able to cut length sections without cutting your leg off.
But if you insist, post videos here.
Ed

Yeah man I use a chain saw 5/6 times a month at work.

I just figured I’d like to split the logs smaller in length an in diameter I would be able to kill 2 birds with one stone

I do realize the splitter is way safer think I’ll go that. My main question is does the wood burn different if it’s split are cut length wise

As someone who likes to put wood on a lathe, I sometimes use a chain saw to rip logs for bowl blanks. For firewood,splitting is far faster. If you are splitting cords at a time then a log splitter is very handy, otherwise a maul and/or wedges and sledge hammer work fine.

Aside: You can buy 'ripping' chains for a chain saw, works better for cutting with the grain than the standard crosscut chain.

Chain saw to adjust the length of your splits if they are too long, spliter to make them useable sticks.

Judy get a maul or a wedge and a sledge hammer. No need for a spliter unless your burning wood all the time.

Assuming the wood pieces are identical in size, length, width, species, etc the wood don’t care if it was cut or split when it’s on fire

Usually a lot easier to split a round than noodle it with a chainsaw.

I love my hydraulic splitter for firewood, but you’d have to do a lot of stickburning to make it worth it for that.

I don't think there is just one option anyone would consider the best one. For example, people choose different models because we are all different. Each type is adapted for a certain weight, body type, and so on. Usually, when I need to inform myself about something, I tap on google or any other platform, like good axes, and do my research. Of course, I choose some models I like the best regarding their price, use, and type, and after reading others' reviews, I make the final decision. If anyone thinks a certain model is good, it doesn't mean it will be perfect for you.

Splitting Wedge Warning!

Several years ago while preparing for the American Royal, I decided to split some pecan logs by using my fiberglass handled splitting maul. The maul was not splitting very far into the log and became difficult to remove to make another swing. I grabbed a splitting wedge and drove it into the log. Once the wedge was lodged tightly into the log, I gave my best round house swing with the maul and hit that wedge dead center.

The next thing I know I am feeling my teeth to make sure I still have them! My T-shirt is covered in blood, my nose is broken and my lips are swollen and bleeding. I still had all of my teeth, but the front top middle teeth are now rearranged. (Three years of orthodontics down the drain.) What happened was the wedge went into the log and got "spit" out immediately striking me in the face. During my career as a bouncer in a so called biker bar, I had never taken a blow like that. It hurt!

Off to the hospital I went for stitches in my nose. They could not repair my lips, but they are fine now. I lost the ability to whistle and some people are thankful for that. I did lose some of my senses of taste and smell, and some folks will say I never did smell that good anyway.

So the moral of this long winded story is this. I had used that splitting wedge for many years and never had a problem until that fateful day. Never again as all it takes is one time!

Lager,

Juggy

Back