• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorte Commercial Rubs for What?

QansasjayhawQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lawrence, Kansas - The Great American Outback
Hi there, everyone!

It has been a LONG time since I posted here.

But now I'm back and healthier than ever.
(Dang near died in 2016.)

I have tried A LOT of commercial rubs over the years. It seems there are so many fantastic commercial rubs that I don't need to make my own rub.

There are people who love to concoct their own rubs (like my BBQ team mate) but I'm not really into that. (Probably because I see it more as a high level of effort with a low level of reward.)

So here are my two favorite commercial rubs that I have excellent results with.

Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow Beef Rub
This rub is delicious. It has a lot of onion and garlic. It almost reminds me of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, but bolder.
Here's the deal - I LOVE it best on CHICKEN. LOL! It works great!

Plowboy's BBQ Yardbird Rub
Absolutely the perfect classic, traditional BBQ rub.
It's perfectly balanced between all the various aspects of flavor. Salty, sweet and savory. It tastes great on anything. I use it on scrambled eggs, steamed vegetables, toast, really ANYTHING.
Here's the deal - I LOVE it best on BRISKET (especially brisket) and Pork. No, really. No matter what I put it on, viola! Classic BBQ flavor!

What are your two favorite commercial rubs (if you use them) and what do they taste the best on?

First favorite is Oakridge Secret Weapon. It is great on pork and chicken and scotch eggs and fatties. All natural and yummy.

My second is The Salt Lick Rub, because it is simple. Salt and some peppers. I can use it on anything and add some garlic or onion to amp the flavor. It adds good pop when I use it as a second rub for things.

I was one of the beta testers when Todd was working out the details of Plowboy's Yardbird. It's still very high on my list. I have not tried any of the Big Poppa rubs, yet.

I like many of the Dizzy Pig rubs, and they go from basic like Dizzy Dust to unique, for example Tsunami Spin. Chris was one of the original members on the old BGE forum and his heart is into his products and the selection is huge.

The other two commercial rubs I buy are Birds and Bones, and Smokin' Guns hot.

All of the Oakridge rubs I've had are excellent, for sure.
For simple, more 'salt and pepper' style rubs, I really like Chicken ****. I'll try The Salt Lick - I've never tried that one.

That's pretty cool about being a beta tester, thirdeye. Thank you for your input on the development.
Dizzy Pig rubs - another excellent brand. They have great 'presence' in their flavors.
I used to use a lot of Smokin' Guns back when I worked in North Kansas City. I could get there for lunch, grab some rub and back to work in less than an hour.

Thanks for the tip on the Secret Seasoning, kfdvm. I'll definitely check it out.

Hasty bake rub is awesome and not too salty. I love the yardbird but it’s insanely salty. For beef I use a lot of oak ridge black ops.

Montreal Steak Seasoning: Steaks, pork chops, and sometimes on brisket and chuck roast.

Weber Kickin' Chicken Seasoning: Chicken wings, thighs, and legs.

About the only two commercial rubs I buy. Easy to find and good prices.

Man there are many out there that I really like, but my favorites (at least right now) are:

1. Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub (for ribs and butts)
2. Oakridge Black Ops (briskets, chuck roasts)
3. Kosmo’s Q Hot Cow Cover (for burgers, steaks, tri-tip, etc.)

Red

All of the Oakridge rubs I've had are excellent, for sure.
For simple, more 'salt and pepper' style rubs, I really like Chicken ****. I'll try The Salt Lick - I've never tried that one.

That's pretty cool about being a beta tester, thirdeye. Thank you for your input on the development.
Dizzy Pig rubs - another excellent brand. They have great 'presence' in their flavors.
I used to use a lot of Smokin' Guns back when I worked in North Kansas City. I could get there for lunch, grab some rub and back to work in less than an hour.

Thanks for the tip on the Secret Seasoning, kfdvm. I'll definitely check it out.

Hey QJhwk...I'm in Lawrence as well. Where do you find these rubs at? Not that I've looked everywhere here..thanks!

There are some great one out there but my favs are:
Oakridge Secret Weapon and Killer Hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m really liking Adkins Western, BPS Cash Cow and Desert Gold. SM Spicy Apple and Cherry. For Adkins try texasfoodsdirect.com.

Chicken: Pit. Barrel All purpose Rub
Pork: SM Sweet & Spicy
Beef: Oakridge Santa Maria

At least this week...

Some good ones already mentioned but here are a couple I like that maybe aren't as well known.

R Grill Party Dust : This is a rub made by Eric Thomas of The Rolling Grill out of Georgia. It really works well on anything and is lower in sugar than most rubs, so it works well for hot and fast or low and slow.

Hardcore Carnivore Black : Fantastic beef rub with activated charcoal and it gives a killer appearance and very "Texas" flavor.

I must be in minority, I find Plowboys yardbird far too salty. I prefer their bovine bold

Plowboys Fin and Feather-Salmon

Kosmos's Dirty Bird-Just about anything
Oakridge Carne Crosta-Steaks

Dizzy Pig has good seasonings I've liked

For now I'm an Oakridge fanboy. Secret Weapon for pork, SPOGOS for beef, HDD for chicken.

Other than that it's either homemade rubs/blends or McCormick's Montreal for steaks and burgers.

Back