What can I “pre smoke”.

Rick's Smoking Again

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Headed to the Hatteras over Labor Day. No access to a smoker or kettle. The house has a gas grill and one of those park type charcoal grills. So, what can I precook and finish on this limited resources? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

I always cook extra butts when I cook.I leave them whole,wrap and freeze,then reheat whole til eating temp.Dang close to just cooked.

I agree with Tom, cook ahead ribs are very good. My approach is to smoke the ribs for a couple of hours, then have a triple layer of foil ready for a wrapped step which will help insure moistness. I'll use typical foil adders like juice or honey, a little sugar.... whatever. But instead of cooking the ribs to the level of tenderness I'm looking for, I under-cook them slightly..., maybe 40 minutes instead of an hour. Next I vent them for 30 minutes, then move the open pouch to the freezer to chill them down quickly. (If you are doing several racks you can use an ice water slurry in a big cooler, reseal the pouches and put them in 2 gallon zipper bags) Anyway, seal the chilled pouches of ribs and either hold in the fridge or freezer. For reheat, allow about 1.5 hours in a 250° oven, or on a low or indirect grill. When they are warmed and tendered up some.... you can open the pouch to glaze or jut let them set up.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Easy...Ribs. I smoke them till done, then refrigerate them and when ready to reheat, slice and throw on the grill.

Don't know if you plan on girlling any? This summer we went on vacation and the cabin had the park type grill you mentioned. My FIL and I grilled pork chops on them and I was quite surprised at how well they held heat and cooked.

Back