West Coast Woods?

W

WeeWilly

Looked at the FAQ and saw that Acacia has been used and some reported Bay as ok.. Lots of Acacia in area and lots of Bay on my property.

I have a lot of what we call Calif Bay.. Pepperwood.. Oregon Myrtle.. all the same thing. The leaves smell like a bay leaf and will literally knock your head off if you crush a green leaf and take a big whiff.. Talk about a deep headache. However.. it's the wood I' wondering about. The wood definitely has a peppery odor when split and later burned.

Wondering if anyone in this far ranging group has used this myrtle...

Thanks.. Bill

I grew up in Oregon around the Myrtle trees. The leaves can be used a bay leaf substitute but do not use the wood for cooking or smoking. If I remember what my grandfather told me it will make the house unlivable and the food uneatable. Now I never used it but I would never even would try it because grandpa told me not too, even if somebody told me they use it all of the time and it is the best wood there is on this earth. I have made tables and bowls from it so I know that it is not poisonous, I have turned it on a lathe and I have various items that both my grandfather and I made through the house. But I would never ever cook with it.

Trout Man

Build a campfire with and see how it smells. If it is pleasant then maybe try smoking with it for a small load of something cheap and quick like some chicken parts. Nothing better than personal experiance to make up your mind on something.

Let us know what happens if you try it out.

I agree with Greg on how to check the scent/flavor of wood. I would be interested in what you come up with.

Jim

Sounds good.. Maybe I'll try some dried branches and Kingsford in the Weber kettle with some wings.. can't go too far wrong with that.. Hate to contamonate my new smoker.. if it ever arrives 8)

Back