MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqlou View Post
Since we'll be grilling close to a kitchen, we can keep most of the meat in a refrigerator until shortly before use. Outside next to the grill, should we use a cooler with ice or ice packs/gel packs in the bottom to hold raw meat just before it goes on the grill?

How long can covered raw meat be next to the grill unrefrigerated before before it goes on the grill?
If you're measuring the time in minutes, it shouldn't matter as long as you keep it covered.

Prepping meat so you have trays or pans in the fridge, then pull them as necessary to go on the grill is the way I'd go.

If you haven't already, you might seriously consider taking a food safety class. Where I live, you can get a food handler's permit from the city or county. It's a few hours for the class and costs like $40 or something. It's required if you work in food service. There's a food manager's class that is more intensive also, but the simple questions like what temps to hold hot and cold foods get answered in the basic class.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default Raw meat storage next to the grill; thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlvarado View Post
If you're measuring the time in minutes, it shouldn't matter as long as you keep it covered.

Prepping meat so you have trays or pans in the fridge, then pull them as necessary to go on the grill is the way I'd go..
Sounds good, but would keeping the patties near the grill in a cooler with some ice packs add a margin of safety if the patties don't go in the grill within 5 minutes?
bbqlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Most health departments will expect you to keep the meat chilled until it goes on. They no longer allow the meat to be stored outside of a 40°F cooler. So, to answer your question, you want to arrange for a large cooler, with enough ice to keep the meat environment cold until just before you use it. Other than private party cooking, this has been the case in all of the events I have been involved in.

Jetro will have Halal and Kosher meats, Cash and Carry and Costco have not had them, at least as far as I have seen. Again, I haven't been to Costco in a couple of years, I buy all of my meats from Cash and Carry, or have a friend buy them for me through S.F. Chef's Supply that he won't give the name for.

Cash and Carry in San Jose lists the following beef burger products. LINK

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #19
landarc

In terms of your cooking questions, I trust Bryan (Pyle's BBQ) for the information he gave you, he is the everyday pro with this stuff.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #20
landarc

In terms of feeding vegetarians, they are a maddening lot to cook/event for. You can never know what they are going to eat, or if they will eat at all. If it was me, I would do the vegetarian chili, as it is easy to procure and store. And then, I would offer a Caesar Salad, and keep some cheese around for grilled cheese sandwiches. I no longer do grilled vegetables for large events, as they always end up as waste. Further, cold, grilled vegetables are a hard sell. Further, they take up both grill space and a LOT of time to get them cooked up correctly. I prefer to not do something, then to do it poorly. Another option, is to keep a few boxes of Veggie burgers in the fridge, you can take them frozen, hit them with some oil and slap them on the grill, In 4 to 5 minutes per side, they are ready to go. I prefer Boca Garlic or Boca Mushroom for this use. You can store 4 to 5 boxes, about 24 to 30 burgers worth, and does not require any other special condiments for serving.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Bbqlou, these will be short answers. I am on my phone and won't have Internet until next week. If you need something more PM me and I'll get you my phone number.

I like the weed burn, but find one with a shorter hose. Check out Harbor Freight. Their's are cheaper. I would also have a chimney on hand. Makes it easier to add out coals.

If you use regular charcoal, I would get chips and add as needed. They are easier to spread around. I personally prefer lump, but you will have to make that call.

With what you are cooking, you will need both, the longer, the better. The spatula for the fruit, mushrooms and burgers that will stick. Keep an oil soaked rag in a pan to run across the grates. This will help to keep things from sticking most of the time.

I would get several waterproof containers if you are using ice. You may consider dry ice. It won't take much to keep things cold.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
landarc

I have soft, fancy hands now, so I like to wrap the oil soaked rag around a long spatula or stick, so I am not reaching over the grill and getting burned. I prefer a good pair of neoprene or PVC chemical gloves for handling hottish things, but, use the non-latex food service gloves for handling most foods. Long, heavy duty spatula will keep you happier, if you can get one from a restaurant supply store, do it, those things are rock solid, your hands will be happier. Same with tongs, the longer you buy, the stiffer and heavier you want. But, check the spring rate, you want a Goldilocks pair, just right for you.

I love County Restaurant Supply in San Mateo, if you can make time to get there, you will find the best prices for the highest quality products. I get my service tubs, food storage tubs, squirt bottles, cooking implements from there. Love that place.

Also, you will want a lot of towels, when you are serving food to others, there is never a good time for a dirty rag. Another thing that I always liked, and am sad to see is no longer the practice, wear a clean hat that covers your head. There was actually a reason chefs used to have to wear hats, it makes for a cleaner look, and you won't accidentally touch your hair while cooking.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 07-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #23
matt039
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default My 2 cents in no particular order.

1) Ok maybe food safety course first order of business.

2) Document your food temps hourly on a clip board/notepad, it will go a long way with health inspectors. Also ice should be packed in layers throughout not just top and bottom of food.

3) we have found that cooking burgers in advance is best when dealing with concessions and potentially long lines. To keep them from drying out we take them off grill surface at about 140 deg and finish in a pan mixed with water and onion soup mix. This also adds a great flavor and they will be moist 4 hrs later.

4) It may be an east coast thing but here I'm lucky if I sell 1 veggie/bean burger a day. One day I sold 3 and thought I was a good day.

5) burgers where to buy? restaurant depot is the best place here for quality and price if you want to pick up yourself. Premade 80/20 frozen patties are $29 for 10 lbs. We prefer 1/4 lb patties at 40 per case. 4/5 oz are available too

6) cook from frozen state, they won't fall apart.

7) if you sell several different items like hamburger, hotdogs, veggie burgers, drinks and so on use of an ipad with free square app is very nice even if you don't take credit cards. This will allow you to run reports and determine what sells best, what time of day is busiest, cash management and several other options all for FREE!

hotdogs we cook some in advance as well and throw in a pan with enough water to steam and keep from sticking then cook more to stay ahead as needed.

9) Pulled Pork? while it may not sell as well in CA as it does here you may want to consider it. If you are smoking and pulling pork yourself you might find it to be more profitable. We find the price per lb of pork to be about $0.70 per lb cheaper than burger and yeld 6 servings per lb verses 4 @ 1/4 lb burgers. This equates to a min of $16 more profit per lb because of higher unit price and 2 extra servings.

Hope this helps..
matt039 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
landarc

Pulled Pork sells great out here. You need a better than cheap white bun though, and cole slaw is a huge risk, lots of folks get angry with cole slaw on the sandwich.

I had a friend who got two sandwiches literally thrown in his face by an irate customer.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Tags
catering, charcoal, food handling, food storage, meat, tools, vegetables, vegetarian, wholesalers