MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default HELP! New member about to host first big BBQ & sincerely appreciate your advice

My wife and I and some friends are having a community/club barbecue event weekly for 100-150 people throughout the summer and early fall and we’ve never barbecued for this many people at once. HELP! We’ve been educating ourselves, got a big charcoal grill and are going to a big barbecue competition this weekend to watch and learn, but would really appreciate your advice. Questions below. Please excuse any ridiculous noob questions - we are new to this but really working at it.

What we have and are planning on:
-5 ft x 2 ft Charcoal Grill (10 Sq Ft) with one person grilling and one assisting feeding the grill and removing already grilled items
-1/3 lb or 5 oz Good quality hamburger patties pre-made (and possibly kosher/halal)
-Franks, possibly including Turkey/Chicken
-Condiments - ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce,
-For vegetarians plan to have veg chili enough to serve 50 people 12-14 oz bowls each
-Have a Costco near us

I should probably split these up into separate questions, and if it's easier I'll do so right away, but thought it might be helpful to have them together at first.

Thanks to TailGateJoe and Joe B. at Crown Verity my group is now the proud owner of a Crown Verity 10 sq ft charcoal grill. Thank you very much!

Questions By Topic:

Cost of pre-prepared 1/3 lb or 5 oz beef patties
-Regular average quality pre-prepared beef patties
-Higher quality grass-fed pre-prepared beef patties
-Kosher/Halal beef patties

Chicken or turkey burgers?
-What would 1/3 lb turkey burgers or chicken burgers cost?
-Which would be better – chicken or turkey burgers?

Anyone have any good quality meat wholesalers on the Peninsula in Silicon Valley/the SF Bay Area?
-Is Restaurant Depot any good for good quality meat?

Good option for Vegetarians
-We are thinking of vegetarian chili – tasty, easy to prepare, easy to have caterer prepare and bring a vat to save time
-Would grilled vegetables be worthwhile? Which vegetables would be best? We’d like to avoid very pricey vegetables (like portabella mushrooms).
-We’re avoiding veg burgers as there are people who have allergic reactions to them because they often have a lot of nuts inside the mix

Types of franks – turkey, chicken – size, cost?
-Would turkey and chicken franks be good for those who don’t eat red meat?
-Cost of decent quality turkey and chicken franks?
-Recommended frank size by weight?
-Recommended brands for beef, chicken and turkey franks?

Hamburger and hot dog buns
-Recommended types and brands?
-Where to get?

Condiments - ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce
-How much of each condiment to get per person or in total per 100-150 people?
-Do you use barbecue sauce and if so which do you recommend?
-Do you put barbecue sauce on toward the end of grilling or after grilling?

Recommended Grill tools – spatula, tongs, gloves, apron?
-What size spatula and tongs?
-Grilling gloves/apron needed for the heat?

Recommended Charcoal, Grill Prep and Firing Up
-Do we need to do anything to prep the grill?
-Best and best value type of charcoal to use?
-How much charcoal needed for our 10 sq. ft grill for 100-150 people 2.5-3 hour event, with most of food eaten in first 2-2.5 hours
-Hate the smell of lighter fluid – needed or can we start up the charcoal in a reasonable time using chimneys?
-How long will it take the charcoal to heat up?
-Should we use an electric fan to get charcoal going quickly?

Where to find a good grill cook for 3 hour weekly event?
-We have volunteers to help with a lot of things but it may be easiest to find a regular experienced barbecue-loving cook or two to do nothing but manage the grill, with a volunteer helping feed the grill and put out the food
-Going to a nearby barbecue competition to find good people this weekend

Grilling
-How long does it take to grill a 1/3 lb beef patty to medium-well (no red interior for safety)?
-How long will it take go grill a 1/3 lb chicken or turkey burger?
-How long does it take to grill potatoes on the BBQ? Any special way to cook them whole or chopped in circles?
-Is it a good idea to keep a water spray bottle handy to “calm” hot spots?

Food storage before and during barbecue (grill will be in a shaded area)
-Right before grilling (as in minutes), should the food/meat be kept near the grill in a cooler with gel -packs?
-How long can you keep the raw patties out by the grill?
-How long can they be kept out after grilling?
-If there's leftover raw meat, can you freeze it to use later and how long will it keep in the freezer?
-If ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard left outside in the shade for 2-3 hours, can you refrigerate and continue using?

Food storage after barbecue
-How long can cooked items be refrigerated after?
-How long can raw meat kept cool inside a cooler with gel ice packs be kept in the fridge after?
-How long will the leftover raw meat last in the freezer after it's been left in the cooler near the grill for 2-3 hours?

Grill Care
-We heard the firebox should not be fully cleaned of grease in order to preserve it
-What should be done to clean and maintain the grill in good shape?

Cheapest source of paper supplies – bowls, napkins, cups, cutlery?
-We have a Costco nearby, but perhaps Restaurant Depot would be cheaper?
bbqlou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
sbshaveice
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, don't over think this thing. It's just burgers and dogs. Costco or smart and final is fine. Get the premade paddies, i think they're in 9 packs. You can throw them on the grill frozen Get the leanest. Match them to a bun, keeping in mind they'll shrink as you cook.
Is this a one off or career move?
sbshaveice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqlou View Post
My wife and I and some friends are having a community/club barbecue event weekly for 100-150 people throughout the summer and early fall and we’ve never barbecued for this many people at once. HELP! We’ve been educating ourselves, got a big charcoal grill and are going to a big barbecue competition this weekend to watch and learn, but would really appreciate your advice. Questions below. Please excuse any ridiculous noob questions - we are new to this but really working at it.
Are you trying to make money at this venture?
What we have and are planning on:
-5 ft x 2 ft Charcoal Grill (10 Sq Ft) with one person grilling and one assisting feeding the grill and removing already grilled items
-1/3 lb or 5 oz Good quality hamburger patties pre-made (and possibly kosher/halal)
-Franks, possibly including Turkey/Chicken
-Condiments - ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce,
-For vegetarians plan to have veg chili enough to serve 50 people 12-14 oz bowls each
-Have a Costco near us

I should probably split these up into separate questions, and if it's easier I'll do so right away, but thought it might be helpful to have them together at first.

Thanks to TailGateJoe and Joe B. at Crown Verity my group is now the proud owner of a Crown Verity 10 sq ft charcoal grill. Thank you very much!

Questions By Topic:

Cost of pre-prepared 1/3 lb or 5 oz beef patties
-Regular average quality pre-prepared beef patties You will have to shop around to get the best price.
-Higher quality grass-fed pre-prepared beef patties. You will find that these may be very expensive for your venture.
-Kosher/Halal beef patties. Shop around, these may be too expensive too.

Chicken or turkey burgers?
-What would 1/3 lb turkey burgers or chicken burgers cost? I would go with the turkey.
-Which would be better – chicken or turkey burgers? Prices vary by region so giving an exact price is impossible.

Anyone have any good quality meat wholesalers on the Peninsula in Silicon Valley/the SF Bay Area?
-Is Restaurant Depot any good for good quality meat?

Good option for Vegetarians I usually don't worry about these people, I know, it's rude, but will they fix meat if I come over to their place?
-We are thinking of vegetarian chili – tasty, easy to prepare, easy to have caterer prepare and bring a vat to save time
-Would grilled vegetables be worthwhile? Which vegetables would be best? Grill hearts of romaine, asparagus wrapped with leeks or green onions, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, whole white mushrooms, green beans and for the sweet, pineapple, peaches, pears and apples. We’d like to avoid very pricey vegetables (like portabella mushrooms).
-We’re avoiding veg burgers as there are people who have allergic reactions to them because they often have a lot of nuts inside the mix

-Would turkey and chicken franks be good for those who don’t eat red meat? I would go with turkey. I don't see too may chicken franks. I do see chicken sausage. That may be an option.
-Cost of decent quality turkey and chicken franks? You will have to shop around, as prices vary by region.
-Recommended frank size by weight? Quarter pound is normal.
-Recommended brands for beef, chicken and turkey franks? I haven't bought these in years. You may have some local brands that my be better than the national brands.

Hamburger and hot dog buns
-Recommended types and brands? Check for the bread distributors in your area. 3-4" hamburger buns and regular hotdog buns. I use Rotella, I am not sure they are on the west coast.
-Where to get?

Condiments - ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce
-How much of each condiment to get per person or in total per 100-150 people? Figure at least one ounce per person on ketchup and mustard. These will hold from week to week so you can buy extra. The unopened product can sit on the shelf.
-Do you use barbecue sauce and if so which do you recommend? If you are doing just burgers and dogs, I don't see the point.
-Do you put barbecue sauce on toward the end of grilling or after grilling? I don't use on burgers and dogs.

-What size spatula and tongs? I would look for something with long handles for both. Get the commercial style they will last longer. Don't get anything with extra rubber or silicon.
-Grilling gloves/apron needed for the heat? Get a couple par of welding gloves for at the grill. It will make working around the grill easier.

Recommended Charcoal, Grill Prep and Firing Up
-Do we need to do anything to prep the grill? I would use the weed burner you are going to buy to at least burn off the manufacturing oil that may be left on the grates.
-Best and best value type of charcoal to use? You may have to try a few and see what works best for you.
-How much charcoal needed for our 10 sq. ft grill for 100-150 people 2.5-3 hour event, with most of food eaten in first 2-2.5 hours? Again, you will have to work this out. Joe may be able to give a better answer for this, but I would have 5-6 bags on hand the first time.
-Hate the smell of lighter fluid – needed or can we start up the charcoal in a reasonable time using chimneys? Yes, but get a weed burner. It is even faster.
-How long will it take the charcoal to heat up? This will depend on weather conditions. Windy, forever. Calm, sooner.
-Should we use an electric fan to get charcoal going quickly? You can try and see if it helps your situation.
Answers are in red above. I will try and finish later today. It is sort of late.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
old_biker_in_VA
Found some matches.

-Would turkey and chicken franks be good for those who don’t eat red meat?

just a thought look at Buffalo, if available reasonable? a buffalo farm close to me has a meat plant make them several ways & he then sells, & I honestly prefer to anything I find in the stores. he has dogs, several varieties of Italian sausage, hot etc, as well as ground Buffalo, YUM!

also for something even more different how about Ostrich? there is a farm maybe 45 miles away that sells product.

both of these are healthy alternatives to red meat, if can be found at reasonable prices in your area?

also if you want different sizes, just ask, if place has a packing plant producing for them, they can adjust sizes, so if you want 1/4 lb sausages, you would get 4 per lb, or if want smaller they should be able to do that as well, for example 5 or 6 links per lb. same goes for ground product, how many patties per lb do you want to get, & get plant to produce it for you.
old_biker_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cooked once on a grill like that and it got HOT! HOT HOT HOT.
Maybe mound some charcoal in areas and leave other areas empty to create cool zones. Nothing like burning the crap out of the 10 dogs in 2 seconds, and then trying to save 'em all. Plus if you get flare ups, you can ditch the burgers onto the cooler areas.
These days I'm going with sliced zucchini lengthwise, balsamic, olive oil, and S&P.
Let 'em get grill marks, flip 'em, and don't let 'em get soggy.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Thanks SBShaveIce, We plan to do this throughout the season - we're not full-time caterers and have no intention to be, we just want to do this community club event very well. By lean, is there a percentage lean you are going off of, or you just ask for very lean ground beef?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Answers are in red above. I will try and finish later today. It is sort of late.
Hi Pyle's BBQ,

Thank you for the super helpful advice! Make money? Well we're certainly trying to avoid losing money, though we're not planning to be full time professional caterers. There are so many costs associated with doing things like this that we're making sure to have a very modest inexpensive donation from each member coming and we may have some sponsorships, which if we purchase the food wholesale or from Costco, should be enough to cover all costs and possibly then some.

We're in California - while we eat meat, it's a given there'll be vegetarians and some folks who don't eat red meat, and it's very international with folks from around the world and we're trying to be as inclusive as possible, though I understand your sentiment.

We can pick up pre-made patties and other meat either from Costco, Restaurant Depot if we open an account or another meat wholessaler. Is Restaurant Depot good for quality ground beef patties, turkey dogs, vegetables and condiments? Is it less expensive than Costco and by how much?

Does Restaurant Depot carry any grass-fed, kosher/halal meats? Just good to know.

We'll go with turkey burgers. I don't think I've ever seen a chicken burger and somehow it just sounds wrong.

Of these grilled veggies you mentioned, which are easiest:

"Grill hearts of romaine, asparagus wrapped with leeks or green onions, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, whole white mushrooms, green beans"

Which of these fruit are easiest: "for the sweet, pineapple, peaches, pears and apples."

We'll go with Turkey Franks and Chicken Sausage. So we should go for "Quarter pound" weight for both?

Is Restaurant Depot any good for bread and 3-4 in. hamburger and regular hot dog buns? Where do you even find a bread distributor? (Can you tell we're new to this?)

Just go for whitebread buns or anything special?

So unopened ketchup and mustard can sit unrefrigerated? Good to know.

Great, we'll skip the barbecue sauce.

"I would look for something with long handles for both. Get the commercial style they will last longer." What would commercial style be and where would you get them?

We'll get the welding gloves at Home Depot - great idea.

Weed burner should also be at Home Depot. What size propane tank to get for it?

Grill has already been used once so manufacturing oils burned off.

By 5-6 bags charcoal, do you mean 20 lb bags?

Which type of charcoal to get? Anything with some mesquite, or maybe buy mesquite separately and add some? How much mesquite to get?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default Thanks mchar69, good idea

mchar69, good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
I cooked once on a grill like that and it got HOT! HOT HOT HOT.
Maybe mound some charcoal in areas and leave other areas empty to create cool zones. Nothing like burning the crap out of the 10 dogs in 2 seconds, and then trying to save 'em all. Plus if you get flare ups, you can ditch the burgers onto the cooler areas.
These days I'm going with sliced zucchini lengthwise, balsamic, olive oil, and S&P.
Let 'em get grill marks, flip 'em, and don't let 'em get soggy.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #9
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hi Pyle's BBQ,

Thank you for the super helpful advice! Make money? Well we're certainly trying to avoid losing money, though we're not planning to be full time professional caterers. There are so many costs associated with doing things like this that we're making sure to have a very modest inexpensive donation from each member coming and we may have some sponsorships, which if we purchase the food wholesale or from Costco, should be enough to cover all costs and possibly then some.

We're in California - while we eat meat, it's a given there'll be vegetarians and some folks who don't eat red meat, and it's very international with folks from around the world and we're trying to be as inclusive as possible, though I understand your sentiment. If there is a way to get a count on people that need a special menu would help.

We can pick up pre-made patties and other meat either from Costco, Restaurant Depot if we open an account or another meat wholessaler. Is Restaurant Depot good for quality ground beef patties, turkey dogs, vegetables and condiments? Is it less expensive than Costco and by how much? I don't have a RD near me, only Sam's and Costco. They all have good quality meats. Since you are doing this all summer, you could try some from each and see which one works best for your situation.

Does Restaurant Depot carry any grass-fed, kosher/halal meats? Just good to know. See answer above.

We'll go with turkey burgers. I don't think I've ever seen a chicken burger and somehow it just sounds wrong.

Of these grilled veggies you mentioned, which are easiest:

"Grill hearts of romaine, asparagus wrapped with leeks or green onions, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, whole white mushrooms, green beans" None of these are tough to cook. Just spray with oil, season and grill. Cut eggplant and zucchini fairly thick. I forgot sliced white, yellow or red onions. If you do the onions, make extra, people will want these on their burgers and dogs. PM me if you have further questions on this.

Which of these fruit are easiest: "for the sweet, pineapple, peaches, pears and apples." Pineapple would be easiest. Cut into spears and put on the grill. The sugar in the juices and pulp will caramelize and make grill marks.

We'll go with Turkey Franks and Chicken Sausage. So we should go for "Quarter pound" weight for both? Go with what you can find. That was just a starting point.

Is Restaurant Depot any good for bread and 3-4 in. hamburger and regular hot dog buns? Where do you even find a bread distributor? (Can you tell we're new to this?) Again I don't have a RD near me. See if anyone in the group you are serving has an idea. You may check with a local grocery store that has a bakery dept.

Just go for whitebread buns or anything special? Plain white is cheapest.

So unopened ketchup and mustard can sit unrefrigerated? Good to know.

Great, we'll skip the barbecue sauce.

"I would look for something with long handles for both. Get the commercial style they will last longer." What would commercial style be and where would you get them? RD would have the type you want. You may have to look around for the welding gloves. Amazon is a good place to look for this stuff.

We'll get the welding gloves at Home Depot - great idea.

Weed burner should also be at Home Depot. What size propane tank to get for it? As big as you can carry. A regular 20# is fine. It should last the summer.

Grill has already been used once so manufacturing oils burned off.

By 5-6 bags charcoal, do you mean 20 lb bags? Depends on the type of charcoal you use. I use hardwood lump from Sam's. It is a mesquite lump. I like it because there is some mesquite that doesn't fully carbonize, so I don't have to add that. I will add some apple or oak.

Which type of charcoal to get? Anything with some mesquite, or maybe buy mesquite separately and add some? How much mesquite to get?
You can PM me also if you have other questions. We can do this on email if that is easier.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ

Old 06-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Where to find a good grill cook for 3 hour weekly event? You could try Craigslist. Not sure how good it is in your area. Check with the local culinary schools. See if any of the student want to get experience working an event like this. It would be valuable to them.
-We have volunteers to help with a lot of things but it may be easiest to find a regular experienced barbecue-loving cook or two to do nothing but manage the grill, with a volunteer helping feed the grill and put out the food
-Going to a nearby barbecue competition to find good people this weekend

Grilling
-How long does it take to grill a 1/3 lb beef patty to medium-well (no red interior for safety)? That depends on how hot the grill is and are they fresh or frozen. Plan on 4-5 minutes. Invest in a thermapen, it will help a lot.
-How long will it take go grill a 1/3 lb chicken or turkey burger? See above.
-How long does it take to grill potatoes on the BBQ? Any special way to cook them whole or chopped in circles? I wouldn't even try doing these until you have a few cooks on your grill. Fresh potatoes for that many will take a long time. In an oven a potato takes at least 45 minutes.
-Is it a good idea to keep a water spray bottle handy to “calm” hot spots? Yes.

Food storage before and during barbecue (grill will be in a shaded area)
-Right before grilling (as in minutes), should the food/meat be kept near the grill in a cooler with gel -packs? Yes.
-How long can you keep the raw patties out by the grill? Not knowing CA health codes, I would keep them in the cooler until they are ready to go on the grill.
-How long can they be kept out after grilling? They will cool quickly if not kept warm. You will probably need a NSF pan or warming device.
-If there's leftover raw meat, can you freeze it to use later and how long will it keep in the freezer? As long as it wasn't previously froze. You should use it the following week, that way you don't have to worry about how long it is in the freezer.
-If ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard left outside in the shade for 2-3 hours, can you refrigerate and continue using? As long as you keep them rotated, using the oldest first. Only open what you need. Unopened containers will keep, just like in the store.

Food storage after barbecue
-How long can cooked items be refrigerated after? 7 days. You can freeze and thaw and use the next weekend.
-How long can raw meat kept cool inside a cooler with gel ice packs be kept in the fridge after? As long as you maintain the temp below 40*F for the 2-3 hours you will be fine.
-How long will the leftover raw meat last in the freezer after it's been left in the cooler near the grill for 2-3 hours? If you have a non-frost free freezer and a foodsaver, it should last a year.

Grill Care
-We heard the firebox should not be fully cleaned of grease in order to preserve it. This is more for the cooking chamber on a smoker. Grease in the firebox is not a good thing.
-What should be done to clean and maintain the grill in good shape? Brush the grates down before starting and when done. A rag with vegetable oil on it, run over the grates during the cook will help season the grate. Clean out the ash from the grill as soon as possible. Leaving the ash in the grill will cause it to corrode prematurely.

Cheapest source of paper supplies – bowls, napkins, cups, cutlery?
-We have a Costco nearby, but perhaps Restaurant Depot would be cheaper? You will have to shop both and see which one is cheaper. Prices vary from store to store. One thing I do when price shopping is to take a picture of the price. Faster and easier than trying to type notes.
Hope this helps.

Μολν λαβέ

Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default Thank you; Charcoal amount, Weed Burner versus lighter fluid

So much great advice in this thread. Between this and attending a local charity barbecue competition and taking notes, learned a heck of a lot. Thank you very much. First community event approaching...

For charcoal, how many lbs charcoal do you think we'd need for our 5 ft x 2 ft grill (leaving some cool spots as suggested above) cooking for 150? Costco has charcoal on sale 36 lbs for $20.99.

Do you recommend getting standard charcoal and adding some mesquite or other wood for flavor, and if so, how much of that to add in per barbecue?

How much faster is a weed burner for starting the grill than lighter fluid? How many minutes would it take to fire up with a weed burner?

While I hate the smell of lighter fluid, I'm sure it all burns off fairly quickly and wouldn't affect the food later. Lighter fluid is 128 oz for $9 - guessing that would last a few barbecues. A weed burner like the one below runs $50 and you need a 20lb propane tank which runs $54. Does the weed burner come with all the attachments necessary to attach to the tank?

For a weed burner, does it need to be a large one like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...5-01/100341111 used with a 20 lb propane tank, or are there smaller hand held tank versions?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default Tongs versus Spatula for working with 5 ft x 2 ft charcoal BBQ?

We're getting welding gloves to make it easier to work with the grill, and were wondering - at the barbecue competition we went to we saw most teams using tongs - what length of tongs should we get? 15 in. enough?

Are spatula's necessary as well and if so what length? 16 in. enough?

We're only grilling burgers, franks, portabella mushrooms and possibly some other veg and fruit.

If you have a particular model and source to recommend, by all means suggestions welcome.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can help you out, but, it will have to wait for the weekend, I need to run off.

However, in terms of costs, your best bet will be to actually go to places and see what the current meat cost is. It has been a tad volatile of late.

I would seriously consider Jetro/Restaurant Depot out in the Bay Area, or Cash and Carry. Smart and Final is a decent option, but, Cash and Carry has better meat, better selection and usually better prices. Obviously, you need a resale number to use Jetro. It has been a while since I opted to buy meats from Costco, in fact, my membership lapsed some time ago.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Default Cooler for holding meat just before grilling?

Since we'll be grilling close to a kitchen, we can keep most of the meat in a refrigerator until shortly before use. Outside next to the grill, should we use a cooler with ice or ice packs/gel packs in the bottom to hold raw meat just before it goes on the grill?

How long can covered raw meat be next to the grill unrefrigerated before before it goes on the grill?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #15
bbqlou
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I would seriously consider Jetro/Restaurant Depot out in the Bay Area, or Cash and Carry. Smart and Final is a decent option, but, Cash and Carry has better meat, better selection and usually better prices. Obviously, you need a resale number to use Jetro. It has been a while since I opted to buy meats from Costco, in fact, my membership lapsed some time ago.
Thanks Landarc, really appreciate it. Is Cash and Carry better than Restaurant Depot, and do both of them have better quality meat at better prices than Costco? Costco is currently $1.10 per 3 oz patty of 12% lean meat.

The one plus for Costco is convenience - it's much closer to us than Restaurant Depot in San Jose.

Have a great weekend!

Tags
catering, charcoal, food handling, food storage, meat, tools, vegetables, vegetarian, wholesalers