• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thinner cryovac

B

bbqjoe

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the cryovac bags seem to be getting thinner and not as durable lately?

They used to be so thick, I almost felt it was a waste not to use them for something else.

I agree Joe. In years past it would take 2 men and a boy to open the cryovac without a knife. Today, I can open the cryovac without a knife by myself just by ripping.

I honestly cant awnser your question Joe? Ive only had a cryovac machine for only a short time. Interesting observation though.. Have you contacted the comapny to see if they changed their composition of plastic or something else to make it supposedly stronger? Im lost on this one.

Mike

Bull,
I think they are talking about the factory cyro-- the one that butts and brisket and ribbies come in from the processor.
Could be wrong.
I have seen no difference (yet) in either the super market ones nor the ones for my vacu-suck machine at home.

TIM

Brothers, on the factory packed meats.........Hell yes there getting thinner. When I bought a case of brisket flats from Sams in June........Got the case home, found one package where seal had torn. It was definately a sealed case from IBP. When at the Fall Bash at Parrotheads home, I grabbed a packer brisket from fridge bye the end of the cryo package. Damned thing tore right open.......... Sorry I thought Joe was talking about the home version of food saver bags...........duh.......guess I should get some sleep.
Joe your exactly right.......The newer bags are like the vehicles from the big 3. Thinner and cheaper but cost more every farkin year.

Mike

I live near the cryvac plant where they make the packaging. next time i run into someone that works there i will ask them.. I have noticed lately in the stores that alot of cryvac meats are loosely sealed in the packaging and the meat looked like POOPIE. i turned over 2 or 3 slabs of ribs to the butcher at sams the other day because they werent sealed properly and the meat was turning an off color and had some POOPIE growing to the inside of the package. the brisket i opened today was in a lot thinner package my shears slid right through it with no problems most of the time its a struggle.. so boys be sure to check your packages before playin with your meat.

FatDaddy, I concur with you. Check your meat before playing with it.
Thats funny. Sad part is..........very true.

I agree with Fat Daddy too... always check your meat before playing with. And remember kids, stay away from Green, leafy vegetables....

Oh, and always look up before climbing!!

Glad I found this thread. I've noticed the same thing for a few months now.

One thing I'm going to do it email and call Wal-Mart the owners of Sams and let them know what we've found and let them also know I am going to call USDA to tell them the same thing.

Knowing Wal-Mart, they probably told their suppliers they needed to cut costs or else. Since there's only so far they can go with the cost of the meat itself, they're meeting Wal-Marts directive by scrimping on the packaging.

bonehead said:
Knowing Wal-Mart, they probably told their suppliers they needed to cut costs or else. Since there's only so far they can go with the cost of the meat itself, they're meeting Wal-Marts directive by scrimping on the packaging.
It's not just china-mart. Ibp, National, they're all doing it.

Yea, I know. But Wal-Mart has the power to drive these kinds of things industry wide because, if a supplier isn't in Wal-Mart, they sure are trying to get in. Specifically though, Wildcat said he was going to call Wal-Mart and I'm just thinking that they wouldn't care how thick the cryovac is as long as the supplier is meeting their designated price point.

Back