• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cutting Board Cleanup

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This probably came up before more than once but is it safe to clean poly cutting boards with a bleach product like clorox cleanup? It sure helps to whiten them up but leaves a bleach scent for a while afterward... but so does soap on your hands after you wash them.

I always clean my poly board with regular soap, then follow up with Clorox spray. I let that sit a couple of minutes then scrub it in good and rinse well. By the time I use the board again the bleach smell is gone.

TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.

When I use them for poultry and fish, I use hot soapy bleachy water to wash and do as stated above.

TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.
How diluted should the solution be, it seems that there would still be a residue after air drying?

BTW nice avatar you have there :mrgreen:

I use a teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thanks, I figured you would like it!:biggrin:

You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product. :icon_blush:

To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 °F - 110 °F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 °F - 110 °F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.

dishwasher santizes well, but leaves the staining... a bleach bath gets the plastic cutting boards back to white.

Its getting rid of the bleachy smell afterwards. i use hot water and then airdry.

We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.

30214-00-00.jpg

To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 °F - 110 °F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 °F - 110 °F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.

I didn't realize that it's all about the math. Thanks.

You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product. :icon_blush:

1 STEP is the no rinse powder cleaner I use in brewing. Never thought to use it "on the road" to clean polyboards. Thanks for the tip.

We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.
Amen! I get them from DayDots as well. I use five per comp -- one for each category prep, and one for turn-in prep. They hold up very well. I'll never wash a cutting board at a comp again!

John

I gotta tell ya... IMO it is worth EVERY PENNY to me AND my team to buy the disposables (Smoky Mountain SMokers brand)... and we get 'em shipped to Massachusetts. eek!

To not have to clean nasty, glop-covered cutting boards... not only saves my dishwater (and my sanity) but it is absolutely fantastic to just throw them AWAY!!!!

(tip - I've been known to turn them over for another use)

I use the disposables as well. My HD inspector loves the fact that my cleanup is greatly reduced, meaning no chance of having tainted boards due to improper cleaning.

I'd bet that the Smokey Mountain disposable cutting boards come from the same plant as the DayDots.com ones. I pound the snot out of mine with VERY sharp knives and I have yet to leak a drop. They are worth their weight in walks. :wink: :-D

John

Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with DayDots in any way. I am just a very satisfied customer.

Back