MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Daniel
Default Where to buy splits for stick burner?

I live in southeast Florida and have never seen wood for cooking for sale. Closest thing I’ve seen is firewood at the local grocery store which I’ve used for camping and cooking over a campfire but I’m not even sure what kind of wood it is. Any suggestions for sourcing wood? Lowe’s and Home Depot in my area sells just charcoal, lump, and wood chunks but not splits for cooking with. I can’t imagine stick burners are very popular in South Florida. I imagine ordering online is an option but wouldn’t shipping be prohibitive?

Suggestions? Thanks!
rovster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Start with Craigslist and Letgo. Next, ask the BBQ places near you where and how they get their wood. I was in a similar situation in Tucson and could make a pickup run to the North part of the state and get enough to last me a good while, plus it was a nice drive for a weekend day trip away from the big city.

Whether you have appropriate woods for smoking near your part of Florida is a mystery to me. Across the state line wouldn't be a problem though.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

I get them during the after hurricane clean up!

Old 06-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #4
cdhbrad
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : CurtisH

Facebook Marketplace worked for me. Searched “Oak Firewood” and found what I needed. Of course, not as many Oaks in S FL as where I live. Good Luck
cdhbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #5
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Ok tried that and found some places on CL not immediately local but I suppose close enough if buying a bunch. Only found oak and pine and I know pine is a no no...

Old 06-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
mdjkwl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Mark

A quick search yielded Southern Fuelwood in Newberry Fl. https://southernfuelwood.com. They may be a bit on the pricey side.

I second what Sid Post recommended as well above. Craigslist is always a good place to find good deals on local wood.

Last edited by mdjkwl; 06-02-2020 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Added what I Q with...
mdjkwl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

While we’re talking wood what is a reasonable price for firewood? How is it sold? Pound? Wheelbarrow? Most places I found did not mention price.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
rovster
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjkwl View Post
A quick search yielded Southern Fuelwood in Newberry Fl. https://southernfuelwood.com. They may be a bit on the pricey side.

I second what Sid Post recommended as well above. Craigslist is always a good place to find good deals on local wood.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Craigslist shows some decent wood suppliers in Miami.

https://miami.craigslist.org/search/...ewood&sort=rel

Most firewood is sold in cords or fractions of cord, ie 1/2 cord, 1/3 cord (also called face cord), or a full cord.

Here's a website showing what a cord of wood actually is.
https://www.chainsawjournal.com/how-...irewood-facts/

Getting started if you get yourself a 1/2 cord that should set you up very well. I'm not sure what size your smoker is, but I was running a 24x60 RF offset smoker and I was cooking 2 to 3 times a week, and 1/2 cord would usually do me for 6+ months. In my area 1/2 cord runs around $100-150 depending on the species of wood.

Note : From what I see you're going to be pretty much locked in to Oak (which is an awesome smoking wood), but be prepared for "mixed hardwoods." This should be just fine as long as there are no firs, spruces, pines, or gums.

Good luck!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #10
mcdeadstein
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
While we’re talking wood what is a reasonable price for firewood? How is it sold? Pound? Wheelbarrow? Most places I found did not mention price.
Wood prices are regional to a certain extent and you have everyone from some dude with a tree down in his yard to full blown firewood businesses. Also some places vary pricing depending on type. For example, nice seasoned oak is great for cooking but also for heat. Less desirable types or mixed hardwoods might be less. If you are willing to cut it up and haul it yourself it might even be free!

It can be sold in anything from a bundle which is about 1 cubic ft all the way to multiple cords.

Around here in PA wood is somewhat plentiful. Cords go for up to $300 and that is 4' x4' x 8'. That is usually 3 rows of 16" splits stacked. Face cord is 16" split x 4' high x 8ft long and go for around $100-$160. Again depends on if its delivered and seasoned and type etc. Some people advertise a loose thrown truck bed which I think is about a face cord.

Hope that helps, that is just kind of a brain dump of what I know.
mcdeadstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

rovster,

Do you have an Ace Hardware nearby? If so, you can order "cooking logs" in various types and have them delivered to the store for free.

https://www.acehardware.com/search?query=cooking+logs

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #12
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Ace has Post Oak, Pecan, Mesquite, Hickory, Apple, Cherry, Maple, etc.

They also sell B&B Competition Char Logs

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 PM   #13
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
small quanities are too much $ - buy a 1/4 cord or Face cord (1/3) or 1/2 cord - I find wood on Craigslist

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/for...111218350.html

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/for/...117858536.html

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/for/...108119599.html

Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #14
Playtoannoy
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Tom

I’m in the same boat. I’m transitioning from a pellet grill to a Lone Star Grill. I live in New York, and I’ve had a hard time finding anything but firewood. I’ve been waiting for months, and now production on my new pit has begun. I think I’ve sourced wood from a place in CT, but I still need to firm it up. I don’t know enough about wood to trust that I’m getting the right type off of craigslist, so my backup is B&B from Ace, and I’ve already stocked up on a few bags. It’s much more, but it’s also comparable to pellets that I’ve been buying. So, we’ll see how it goes.

Good luck!
Playtoannoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #15
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Grocery store firewood will be all hardwood, usually maple and oak. Reasonably price too.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote