Vertical vs Offset?

rovster

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
First of all, can someone point me to the search feature, I can't seem to find it on this site? Sorry to ask this question because I'm sure its been covered many times but since I'm an idiot here goes.

I've been interested in an offset for a little bit. I had one of those cheapos a long time ago and loved and hated it. Was so difficult to maintain steady temps and would burn fuel like crazy. Was super inefficient.

Currently cooking on a Primo XL and LOVE it but wanted something with a little more capacity for larger cooks and maybe switch things up. Was looking at LSG and think the 24x36-40 would be good for me.

As I was looking through threads I noticed a lot of people mention vertical cabinets. I don't know much about them. Are there any links you can point me to that go over pros and cons of each. If i'm going to drop a couple grand on a cooker I want to make sure I consider all avenues and know what I'm getting into.

Thanks all!

Are you looking for the search function on mobile or desktop? I'm new to the forum as well and just googled your question basically with bbq brethren at the end and you can find it that way. If you're on desktop, go to the forum page and scroll to the very bottom of the page, there is a search bar that says enhanced by google. You can type your question in there and you'll get a ton of results, the search function seems to be a google search bar that only searches in this forum. Good luck!

It seems to me an offset is more versatile than a vertical cabinet smoker. On an offset like the LSG you mention, you can use it to grill. They also say the firebox can be a pizza oven. As well as the flat top griddle plate they have above the firebox.

A vertical cabinet smoker, doesn’t have these options.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the search bar.

Wow I've been to a lot of forums and never seen the search function at the bottom. Thanks all!

I tried calling LSG today but couldn't get through. I'll try again. Want something large enough to handle a but and a few slabs of spares. Right now I can do it on my Primo but I have to time it and its a PITA. I use my Primo weekly and long cooks maybe a couple times a month but seems like lately been more than that. We occasionally will have company over and I'm limited with capacity. I also like the idea of playing with stix. Thanks all.

Offset will require you to tend the fire every 30-45 min. Cabinet will be more set it and forget it like you have now. Figure out which is right for you..

First of all, can someone point me to the search feature, I can't seem to find it on this site? Sorry to ask this question because I'm sure its been covered many times but since I'm an idiot here goes.

I've been interested in an offset for a little bit. I had one of those cheapos a long time ago and loved and hated it. Was so difficult to maintain steady temps and would burn fuel like crazy. Was super inefficient.

Currently cooking on a Primo XL and LOVE it but wanted something with a little more capacity for larger cooks and maybe switch things up. Was looking at LSG and think the 24x36-40 would be good for me.

As I was looking through threads I noticed a lot of people mention vertical cabinets. I don't know much about them. Are there any links you can point me to that go over pros and cons of each. If i'm going to drop a couple grand on a cooker I want to make sure I consider all avenues and know what I'm getting into.

Thanks all!

Don't try to run One on Charcoal - if you wanna run charcoal get an Insulated cabinet smoker.

If you wanna burn sticks - I like Direct Firebox Verticals like Old Country Smokehouse and BoomShuckaLucka........

u07Qeg6l.jpg

qldIo3Al.jpg

bGyL6isl.jpg

Ktlzq2vl.jpg

2uoSLCBl.jpg

oBL3bNPl.jpg

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-smokehouse#repChildCatid=3321871

Offset will require you to tend the fire every 30-45 min. Cabinet will be more set it and forget it like you have now. Figure out which is right for you..

This is what I gather from my research. I don't necessarily mind that but I do like the set it and forget it I get with my Primo, although I'm still tweaking the vents here and there throughout a cook but for the most part its hands off.

I'm a tweaker by nature and I like the idea of having something different but more importantly I do want something with more capacity for larger cooks.

I had bought myself a used barrel grill on CL just to finish ribs and grill appetizers while my Primo is low and slow but that doesn't solve my issue of managing more low and slow capacity.

Most common space issue I have is doing a butt and spares at the same time. I have to play tetris in my Primo and I'm very limited with how much I can fit in that thing and I usually make less ribs than my guests want.

I've considered a second Primo but playing with sticks just sounds fun to me and the potential for another dimension of flavor is that much more appealing.

I think I produce great results with my kamado, and I'm very discriminating and always looking for that extra edge.

I also love the look of a big ol offset, there something nostalgic about it.

I will definitely look more into the verticals. From a flavor standpoint I'm assuming they are similar to an offset? I assume anything burning sticks is going to require more hands on and will not be a good vessel for an overnight cook? Currently I do my briskets overnight. I'd rather plop them on at 12AM and sleep a little rather than get up at 3AM and tend to them for 12-15hrs in preparation for a dinner served at a reasonable time.

For hands-off, an IVC or Gravity Fed (GF) smoker is the way to go.

For a better smoke profile, an offset is very hard to beat. On a really big unit (250 or 500 gallon model) direct flow is what I would do. On the smaller units like mine, the more even heat of the reverse flow works well and provides better capacity usage (i.e. no 'hot spots').

Quick question can all vertical cabinets be used with sticks? Some look like it would be difficult to run with sticks especially without a fb.

An insulated vertical cabinet is going to be very similar to your kamado. Most verticals/cabinet smokers can't run all wood because they would run too hot. No heat loss from an offset firebox, it almost all goes up through the cook chamber. There are some verticals that can burn sticks like the OC Smokehouse and I think Johnson Smokers makes some. They're not insulated and the cook chamber is relatively large compared to the firebox. You still need to run a small fire in them if you want to cook low and slow.

.........I will definitely look more into the verticals. From a flavor standpoint I'm assuming they are similar to an offset? I assume anything burning sticks is going to require more hands on and will not be a good vessel for an overnight cook? Currently I do my briskets overnight. I'd rather plop them on at 12AM and sleep a little rather than get up at 3AM and tend to them for 12-15hrs in preparation for a dinner served at a reasonable time.

I prefer to fire up smoker at 7 am, Briskets on at 8 am, off n resting by 2-3-4 pm and slicing at 6 pm Myself............

You oughta get an Old Country Gravity Fed AND an Old Country Smokehouse for Best of Worlds........and still be $400 cheaper than the next Cheapest Gravity Fed available..........

:heh:

I prefer to fire up smoker at 7 am, Briskets on at 8 am, off n resting by 2-3-4 pm and slicing at 6 pm Myself............

You cooking hot and fast? With brisket I’ve yet to cook a packer in less than 12-13hrs. Low and slow. If I start at 8AM I’m not serving until 10PM.

With an overnight head start I usually finish by mid day early afternoon next day and do a long rest until dinner time.

Pork butt cooks quicker so I usually start those in the early AM.

Here’s the last brisket I did overnight pulled at 2 pm next day about 14 hrs at 230-250..

Last edited:
If you're looking at LSG ....have a look at their vertical offsets. It provides cooking directly over the fire as well as smoking in the vertical chamber.

Spoke to LSG today. I absolutely love the features of their cookers. I’ll probably settle on one of theirs but I’m looking at all options including verticals. I do love the look of a pipe offset I must admit but been reading up on verticals too.

I have a couple of Big Green Eggs and recently was blessed enough to come across a LSG 20" x 36" that was gently used (like new) not too far from me. I have to say now that I have cooked two pork butts and three racks of ribs on it at the same time with plenty of room to add more for a family feed made capacity no longer an issue. The flavor profile is completely different and can't be beat in my opinion as well. We would often use the BGE to reverse sear steaks. I tried that with the LSG and its firebox grill with amazing results. Now I am just looking for reasons to cook on the LSG!!!

Back