• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for advice to round out the arsenal

Ronanmd

Reaction score
Hey guys - Loving the forum. Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I am currently renovating our backyard and I am looking to add a charcoal grill to complement my current gas DCS grill and BWS cabinet smoker. I love the grill for ease of use, crappy weather cooking and weeknight meals. The smoker is awesome for low and slow cooking and holds heat well. However, despite my wife's insistence we don't need another cooker, I disagree LOL. I really want something I can use as a charcoal grill when the weather is nice and I want to go with something different. Steaks, wings, whatever else I can think of. I have been looking at either a Kamodo style cooker (Kamodo classic III) or a kettle (Weber master touch 22"). What would make the most sense to complement my current gear? I have spent a fair bit of time searching the forum and I realize there isn't a single right answer for this, but more advice and opinions would be very helpful before I pull the trigger.

Cheers,

Jason

Weber Kettle 26. You will not be disappointed.

a Lot of folks really love the Weber 26. It will definitely be my next kettle.

Everyone seems to love Weber kettles and it is 100% understandable. I bought one around a year ago and then about six months later I bought a PK grill. I have been using the PK almost daily since. I got the PKTX because I don't cook for many people on a regular basis. If I adopted a wife and several kids I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the 360.

Cast aluminum won't rust so those little boogers last for decades.

PK or 26” Weber kettle. I love them both. If I’m making 3-4 steaks for my family, it’s the PK. If I’m doing a reverse sear pork loin, a couple spatchcocked chickens, or a big tray of mussel/clams/oysters, it’s the 26”.

Another vote for a 26” kettle. I’ve considered going with something else like a Hasty Bake, Assassin Grill or M1 but the kettle is just really well designed and versatile. I’m fortunate that I can afford the other options if I wanted but i dont see where I’d be better off.

I might still pick up an M1 someday but it will be for it’s offset capabilities, not grilling.

I also have a slow and sear to complement the kettle which I highly recommend

I love my kettle 22 but also drooling for a 26

A Weber Summit Charcoal is what your missing...

If you want an all around great charcoal grill, IMO you’re gonna have a hard time beating the 26.75” Weber kettle.

Personally, the 26" Weber is hard to argue against. I got mine on a Fatherday's sale and wonder why I waited so long. :wink:

That being said, a PK Grill would be a good option as well and will likely join my 'herd' at some point as I don't need HUGE capacities all the time. As a small smoker, it might also complement my small 14" WSM. If I could get a nice charcoal grill and small smoker all in one, it might be a better vacation option for me then a Smokey Joe and a small propane stove. YMMV!

I love my PK360, with a set of Grill Grates... it’s a steak grilling/chicken grilling machine! I have a kamado and a kettle as well, but I’ve definitely gravitated to using the PK360 since it joined my cooker corral. I have looked fondly at the Weber Kettle 26, but so far I haven’t needed the additional capacity with the arsenal I have. My kettle is going on 20 years old and my kamado is around 10... both are built like tanks and won’t need replacing any time soon... so you couldn’t go wrong with any of the cookers you’re looking at. Good luck with your decision!

go for Weber.
I have a 22" so I vote for it. But I have to admit that here in Europe (non only in Italy) the 26" is really difficult to find out

Weber kettles are classic and if you've never owned one you should. That said, a PK is even nicer. Hasty Bake also makes a very nice charcoal fired cooker. Not fuel efficient like a kettle or a PK, but very nice cookers nonetheless. Smokes similarly to a WSM but with a more aesthetic design and good for direct heat grilling too.

Weber Summit Charcoal. I like that the charcoal grate is closer to the cooking grate than a regular kettle and it can be used as a kamado. Got rid of my One-Touch Gold and Performer after getting the WSC. My only wish is it came in colors. It's 24".

Back