anyone get sick from...

93civEJ1

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
smelling like or smelling smoke too much? I am beginning to think that if I smell smoke or smell like smoke on my clothes too long, eventually it starts to make me sick feeling. Does anyone else experience this? Not the smell of good smoked food, but just the scent left behind on things. :crazy:

I know a championship BBQ cook that's actually allergic to the smoke that comes from his cooker. So, yeah, it's possible.

I hope you are just going through a phase and will get over it, though.

Bummer!! :shock: Personally, no issues, if I don't smell smoke (apple) on my clothes, I get ill.....

I know a championship BBQ cook that's actually allergic to the smoke that comes from his cooker. So, yeah, it's possible.

I hope you are just going through a phase and will get over it, though.

not actually sick...just the smell after smelling it for hours and hours in clothes ...in my hair etc starts to just make me feel naseous.

I'd suggest that you keep a couple of changes of clothes handy while cooking BBQ. My wife complains sometimes when I am cooking BBQ like she did this afternoon. But, I take that as a badge of honor. :heh:

I'd suggest that you keep a couple of changes of clothes handy while cooking BBQ. My wife complains sometimes when I am cooking BBQ like she did this afternoon. But, I take that as a badge of honor. :heh:

yeah, i reek of smoke after standing over it, and sitting by it etc throughout the day. haha...:bow:

the smoke does not bother me. Well I really don't hang around the smoke. I set it up go make my mixed drink or just grab a cold one. It might be a different story if I was outside the whole time with the smoker.

Way back when on my Bandera I was having fire issues and kept sticking my face in the firebox to blow on the embers. What I didn't realize was that I was also inhaling a ton of smoke in the process.
By the time the brisky was done, I was so nauseous that I couldn't even eat it. So yeah, it certainly does happen!

Been there... Now most of the time I stay away from the smoker after its going. I would think about putting an exhaust stack on it to help avoid the smoke bath and a couple of wireless thermos so you can be a few feet away.
Just my 2cents.:blabla:

Been there... Now most of the time I stay away from the smoker after its going. I would think about putting an exhaust stack on it to help avoid the smoke bath and a couple of wireless thermos so you can be a few feet away.
Just my 2cents.:blabla:

wireless therms are already on the list. haha...but yes, a stack may be a great idea!!

the simplest one i have seen was 2" pvc but watch it so it does not melt...

And walmart sell a nice starter wireless for 16 bucks.

I know what you mean, I don't get nauseous but it gets to the point where I can't handle it anymore and I have to change my clothes. It all goes away when I start eating though, thank god! :-D

Sometimes the smoke is too much but it dont make me sick.If im doin ribs or something else thats only 5-6 hours,I normally wait til my cook is done before showerin up.I throw the food on bout 8am and shower up around 1pm or 2 while the the food is resting.

Make sure to wash your hands though,I had a problem with that after grilling with habenero peppers,lol

I spent a weekend tarping and salvaging after our lake house caught fire several years ago, and by the middle of the second day, the smell was rather nauseating. It was the smell, not any actual smoke that got to me. The smoke was gone, but the smell was in the walls, the carpets, the furniture and everything.

I don't have that problem with campfires, grills and smokers, but I'm not smelling it for that long.

CD

Back