MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Goldees BBQ ,Fort Worth

Just back from Texas visiting the kids,went to Goldees last friday, recently listed #1 bbq place on some Texas list.

Apparently that was the busiest day they ever had, long line, sold out sign went up before serving started!

It was VERY, VERY, good.
Son said the brisket was on par with Franklins, with franklin getting the nod by a whisker. Beef ribs, pork ribs, turkey all excellent. Sides were great also and the home baked bread too.

If you're ever in that area, check it out.
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2022, 11:11 AM   #2
CaptainQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Azore

I am subscribed to one of the owners YouTube channel (Jirby BBQ). "Jirby" goes against just about every well accepted premise of how to smoke good Q. Doesn't worry about clean smoke and starts the pits at Goldee's with Matchlight. His latest video cooking brisket with bbqrat is worth watching.
I like Mad Scientist's videos as well, but he and Jirby are polar opposites.
CaptainQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

That video is very interesting. Part of me wonders if he is really doing this every day or just "punking" viewers, especially about using Kiln dried wood.

I took a day-long BBQ Class at Goldee's when Dylan was the head pitmaster. "Jirby" was around then but he was cutting meat before he became head pitmaster, and they were using a propane torch to light the pits. They had wood splits placed across the inside of the smoker to protect the leading edge of briskets from the super-strong draft. After a smoke those splits were nice and dried out and they used that wood to start the next day's fire. They also had a big pile of wood that was definitely not Kiln dried!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

He uses matchlight and lighter fluid to light the pit with the food already on it. On pits that big you probably won't taste or smell it, but it bothers me. There's a lot of people who will put food on while the fire is starting. The one time I did that I oversmoked the hell out of a 7-bone roast so I'm not taking any chances.
Franklin Pit #138, 22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS converted to OTG. Weber Genesis 1000.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
CaptainQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Azore

I wondered about the "punking" part as well. I made some of his "ribby" sauce that's in another one of his videos. My wife said she likes it better than 50/50 Blues Hog which I normally use.
CaptainQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
nikolausp
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nik

He mentioned in that recent Youtube that their new wood supplier supplies kiln dried wood. And if you go to that wood supplier's website, it says right on there that their wood is kiln dried. Their new wood supplier is a 5 minute drive from Goldees.
nikolausp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
darin1992
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Darin

I like his videos a lot, definitely interesting to see. He also pulls his briskets a lot earlier than other places, I think he said 195 or something like that. Clearly they are doing something right to get the #1 spot. I need to make another trip down to TX soon, last time I was in FTW I did cattleacks, and Truth BBQ in houston. Both of them by far the best BBQ I've ever had.
darin1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #8
nikolausp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darin1992 View Post
I like his videos a lot, definitely interesting to see. He also pulls his briskets a lot earlier than other places, I think he said 195 or something like that. Clearly they are doing something right to get the #1 spot. I need to make another trip down to TX soon, last time I was in FTW I did cattleacks, and Truth BBQ in houston. Both of them by far the best BBQ I've ever had.

I think Jirby has mentioned in the past that he thinks Cattleacks is the best. (besides Goldees, obviously)
Old 01-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
darin1992
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolausp View Post
I think Jirby has mentioned in the past that he thinks Cattleacks is the best. (besides Goldees, obviously)
Yeah we went for my bachelors party a few years ago. The first time I had ever had Texas BBQ and definitely rocked my world. I've been in pursuit of that type of BBQ since and still haven't got there. Was kind of like opening Pandoras box, I used to think all these KC restaurants were the best. But that TX brisket hits different.
darin1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darin1992 View Post
They hold cooked briskets overnight so pulling at 195 would make sense to me. Great bunch of kids, and if you ever go don't forget about the sausages, very interesting stuff. Makes me wish I was in my mid-twenties again!
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #11
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

My favorite Jirby Quote was when he was on the Podcast Tales from the Pits. He worked at Franklin and said throw his book in the trash. Apparently a lot of the stuff in the book goes against what goes on in the restaurant. Then went on to say he didn't care about any non disclosure he signed. If it's a punk I'm laughing my ass off because i fell for some of this too.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #12
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Here is a video I made from their Grand Opening. Jirby was the meat cutter that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhpCbX9SkCo
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
nikolausp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider18 View Post
Here is a video I made from their Grand Opening. Jirby was the meat cutter that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhpCbX9SkCo

I watched that video the day you first posted it, actually!