Versatile charcoal cooker

I love my weber summit charcoal but have recently really been eyeing up ^^^ M grills. If i had to do over i think i would of gone that route. I actually forgot about them when purchasing.

Hasty-Bake Legacy or Gourmet.

$1,000 and up but you'll never need to replace it.

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone. Definitely have some research to do. I dont mind saving a bit to play in the $1k-1,500 range if its worth the investment. That being said, I dont want to overspend just for wow factor and/or name. wish I had the ability to test drive an egg or similar before making the jump. Weber has never done me wrong and after a shipping mishap a couple of years ago with my Genesis they jumped through hoops to make sure the issue was rectified- so there's a brand comfort and loyalty too.

I don't often recommend cookers to people because of all the variables and personal tastes. I usually just try to be helpful when there's questions I can be specific with.

However you did mention an interest in a BGE so that makes it fair game.
I've had mine for 2 years now and I love the dang thing. My biggest disappointment is I didn't buy a bigger one ( i have a Large) or jump in sooner. They cost more money than other choices. That's a fact. Mine brings me a lot of satisfaction however so I never even think about the purchase price anymore.

There are a lot of good choices out there and this forum seems to have a wonderful breadth of expertise. A BGE is a good choice if if meets your needs and expectations. Theres a bunch of other choices if it isn't quite the right fit. Enjoy the process of figuring it out

The owner of mgrills highly suggests mgrills? :-o

They do look pretty sweet and if I had to do it again, probably the way I'd go.

They do and it might be my next grill/smoker. I've been looking at them for over a year but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I did buy an old 60's model Hasty Bake last fall for the adjustable charcoal grate and it's pretty cool.

As others have suggested, the 26" Weber is an excellent affordable cooker. However, if I were rich and drunk, a LSG 48" adjustable charcoal grill.....financing available.....I meet all requirements.

Last edited:
It took me over a year to save up and mentally come to terms with spending the money, but if something happened to my Primo XL I would buy another tomorrow. It is not the "best smoker," but it can make good BBQ. It is an outdoor oven that can do low and slow, but also get up to 700 degrees for pizza and everything in between. The two zone set up allows for direct and indirect cooking and reverse seared steaks are the best with a cast iron pan on the hot side for the sear. You can also cook direct over the coals and wood and make paella. The temperature is also really easy to control once you get the hang of it.

If you want to see a few live, here is a list of EggFests happening this year. The idea is a get together with a bunch of people cooking and eating on brand new Eggs. The kicker is you can reserve one of them to buy after it's over at a pretty good discount.

https://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

And MA is on the agenda.

If you want to see a few live, here is a list of EggFests happening this year. The idea is a get together with a bunch of people cooking and eating on brand new Eggs. The kicker is you can reserve one of them to buy after it's over at a pretty good discount.

https://biggreenegg.com/eggfests/

And MA is on the agenda.

Thank you sir! The event in Mass is only about 10min from my house. Now I need to try and wait until September!

Budget matters so depending on that and your capacity needs, a few options that come to mind:

26” Kettle
PK grill
Hasty Bake
M1
Assassin grill
One of many Kamados. I’m partial to Kamado Joe

I’m finding myself spending more time looking at the M1 and Hasty Bake recently.

Get the real thing and by that I mean a hasty bake. M1 is just an overpriced knock off.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Get the real thing and by that I mean a hasty bake. M1 is just an overpriced knock off.

Yea let me know how that Hasty Bake handles stick burning.

And how thinner spot welded steel (16 gauge to be exact) is better than solid welded 10 gauge steel?

And how nickel plated grates are better than 1/4" solid stainless steel grates?

The M1 is a completely different design and completely different build. You obviously have never seen the M1 in person. We have delivered M1's to customers who had Hasty Bake's and they were completely burnt out in 4 years. Will never happen with the M1.

Oh wait.. you are from Oklahoma. I see what's going on here. lol

Thank you sir! The event in Mass is only about 10min from my house. Now I need to try and wait until September!

Well, have fun! I'm sure you will. Problem is you have a chicken and egg thing going on. You won't know until you see them in action whether you want one, but to get the discounted ones you have to pre-order.

Back