MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #226
slamkeys
On the road to being a farker

Long review of the Yoder Durango 24". Interesting takeaways:
  • Finicky fire management. Owner props the firebox lid partially open while new logs are getting started.
  • Uneven temperatures.
  • Back-drafts when firebox door is opened.
  • Not used often since buying Horizon 30" Marshal.
  • Owner posted review because he couldn't find much online feedback on that cooker before he bought it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOiX0mZZdg

The 24" Durango featured in the video is about 4 years old, so it does not have the new lowered intake vent.

This is the photo currently shown on ATBBQ, with the new lowered intake:

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #227
smoke_savage
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : smoke savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkeys View Post
Long review of the Yoder Durango 24". Interesting takeaways:
  • Finicky fire management. Owner props the firebox lid partially open while new logs are getting started.
  • Uneven temperatures.
  • Back-drafts when firebox door is opened.
  • Not used often since buying Horizon 30" Marshal.
  • Owner posted review because he couldn't find much online feedback on that cooker before he bought it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOiX0mZZdg

The 24" Durango featured in the video is about 4 years old, so it does not have the new lowered intake vent.

This is the photo currently shown on ATBBQ, with the new lowered intake:

Here's my take on the Yoder designs, but first, that guy in the video needs to build a way bigger fire to keep all that steel hot.

They appear to have been based solely on the original Oklahoma joes, the heavy duty ones! and in some cases have an even smaller smokestack.

The Joe's were never intended to be ran with the fire doors all shut up like that.
The idea is you get a big old fire going with large sticks, close up the back door with the pinwheel open and regulate the temperature with the top door, propping it open with a special spacer, that has increments on it.

This is how we operate the Cactus Jack smokers here in Europe (heavy duty 7mm steel units), and that's the way people are still trained, it makes sense, large fire lots of air. You even get cast iron cooking pots to hang over the firebox to take advantage of the upwards heat, if you run the door wide open.

Side note: Cactus Jack was the first European BBQ brand, many years ago, that got the licensing from the Orginal Oklahoma Joe to make that design smoker.

But over time new smokers have come on the market that draft so well that they can be all shut up with small airflow, lone star etc, but the above method seems to have got lost.

Also, the Lone star grillz cross-flow technology is the same as what we run in the Cactus Jack longhorn and have for many years.
The idea is it shoots the heat vertical into the cook chamber, while still allowing a small amount directly down, the smoker fills with heat top down, and is exhausted out the stack that's mounted grate level, creating very even temps.

So long story short, try running the yoders this way and see how things improve. Offsets will never be fuel efficient but each design has it's intended use.
smoke_savage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #228
Zeta09
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Z
Default go with the flow

With the Lone Star, Yoder, Horizon, Old Country and some others is there still a general consensus that the Horizons still flow "best" for the Offset style?
Zeta09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM   #229
slamkeys

This channel posted a video of a Loaded Wichita being modified, but the follow-up video demonstrating its performance never got posted, so I'm wondering if the modifications were successful or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpCdKMFsZlU

His comments included:
1. The firebox was a little high, the upper vent was too high, and the fire grate needed to be removed completely.
2. The heat management plate needed to be removed. He actually kept the lip, but cut off the rest of the plate with the holes.
3. The smokestack needed to be larger and lower.

The resulting monstrosity looks odd due to the huge smokestack, but will it work better? I'm not sure what method they used to calculate the smokestack sizing.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #230
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I saw that "Quetorials" video a couple weeks ago and thought about posting it in this thread, but since I got rid of my Cheyenne I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore. I liked the modifications they made and I think it will work much better, but I can't say for sure. To be fair just about any modification would be an upgrade to the original design.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #231
busmania

Name/Nickname : Matt

Love my Yoder. Read this thread twice before buying. I love a challenge.

I have removed my convection plate and added a half round piece of steel by the stack. I also made a 5” stack to improve draw. See photos.

Temps are pretty even across the grate now (usually within 10-15 degrees). Draw is ok but it does still sometimes smokenout if the top of the vent. I have their updated design. Yes I think it needs a few mods but I love it. I might complete the chimney mod listed above but my current solution only required two holes to be drilled in the upper grate bracket.

I’m working on building my next offset which will be similar to the Yoder but fix some of these issues.

Again, for me they aren’t really issues because I like to tinker. I could see how some would be turned off by some things in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08462EB0-59A3-4719-9581-A4483B0E3609.jpg (49.3 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 4D048227-C5BB-4535-913D-F11E9567B2DB.jpg (54.6 KB, 208 views)
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #232
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Love my Yoder. Read this thread twice before buying. I love a challenge.

I have removed my convection plate and added a half round piece of steel by the stack. I also made a 5” stack to improve draw. See photos.

Temps are pretty even across the grate now (usually within 10-15 degrees). Draw is ok but it does still sometimes smokenout if the top of the vent. I have their updated design. Yes I think it needs a few mods but I love it. I might complete the chimney mod listed above but my current solution only required two holes to be drilled in the upper grate bracket.

I’m working on building my next offset which will be similar to the Yoder but fix some of these issues.

Again, for me they aren’t really issues because I like to tinker. I could see how some would be turned off by some things in this thread.
Good mods that sound like they certainly help. People (myself included) were also pretty upset with how Yoder treated them in terms of basically telling us that it was our fault...we were the ones to blame for not using kiln dried wood which was preheated inside the firebox. They deleted posts on their own forums and were close to attacking anybody who said they weren't happy with their cookers drafting abilities.

I'd also add that for the money involved with a Yoder offset that's a pretty hefty sum (especially with shipping involved) to find out that you've got to put more time and money into the cooker to make it function properly. I spent about a year just beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to cook in the darned thing...just wasn't fun and it was irritating and frustrating at every level. It made BBQ a chore rather than something fun and exciting.

I got the new door damper and it made a marginal improvement at best. I gave the Yoder to a buddy of mine in exchange for some work on my truck. He's an amateur welder / metal worker / "tinkerer" so for him it's a fun little project, probably in a similar style to you. I'm not very mechanically inclined, at all, so the thought of me modding my already expensive cooker to work properly was just out of the question.

Either way I'm glad your cooker is working for you and that's all that really matters. This thread showcased how Yoder treated their customers and how it was glaringly obvious that they had some issues which they weren't willing to address. Slamkeys pushed them, and pushed them hard, for a LONG time and in the end they finally had to admit they were wrong and make an adjustment to their designs.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:03 PM   #233
busmania

Yep. I completely get it wild boar. The deletion of posts and such is rediculous. Honestly I think when I bought it 6 months ago I wanted an offset smoker now and didn’t want to wait. Local place sells them. Nothing like a $2k impulse buy! I went into it knowing there were issues that I’d address. Maybe I liked the idea of a challenge. I don’t know. I’ve only had it 6 months and I’m already planning my next build. I hear GREAT things about the kingman so I think I’ll build a replica. Working with a local machine shop now to cut every single piece so all I have to do is weld it together. The whichita will probably then be sold.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #234
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

Remember to pre-heat your splits before you add them to the fire. This will allow the splits to ignite quicker, keeping the fire hotter and cleaner.
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 12:25 AM   #235
Levergun
Knows what a fatty is.

I picked up a 5 yr old kingman about 6 mths ago and couldn't be happier, the thing is a beast. Runs 250 all day with a split every 45 mins or so. Was concerned when I first got it, coming from having bge for the last 10+ yrs, but with the great advice here it was a walk in the park. Can even push it to 350 if I needed to with ease.
Levergun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 AM   #236
sneacho
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
I have their updated design.
How did the updated design perform before you modded it?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #237
busmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneacho View Post
How did the updated design perform before you modded it?
Being my first “real” stick burner (other than my homemade 33 gallon reverse flow) take this with a grain of salt.

I think the updated design performed exactly as this thread explains. Even with my mods and even when stock, I still have occasional smoke coming from the top of my intake vent. I’ve decided this doesn’t bother me as I did make a new door with only the lower part of the vent (but twice as big) but I never use this door.

At stock, I still had wild temp differences left to right which is to be expected to some extent but I couldn’t live with 50-100 degree differences.

I was told yesterday the updated design also included a dropped firebox? Is that true? Can someone measure the old one to compare? It doesn’t ‘look’ like the firebox on mine is any lower.

With the knowledge of this thread I immediately started making changes when I bought it. But then I took a step back and ran 100% stock for 10-15 cooks so I could learn its quirks. Then I started nodding again. I have yet to do anything that requires major surgery. I’ve cut off the door and made a new one (now both can slide off and on as I wish), I made my exhaust mod seen above, I’ve tried what seems like hundreds of deflector plate locations, I’ve got firebrick in the firebox, I’ve made 3 different chimneys, and more that I’ve definitely forgotten.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #238
sneacho
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : beach

Thanks. Useful info. I hadn’t yet found any comments about the new design.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #239
ASAT
Knows what a fatty is.

Hmmm, no expert but my takeaway? Pass on the Yoder....
ASAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 AM   #240
White_diamond
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : White

I got the Yoder Cheyenne about 6 months ago.
At first I had the same problems for keeping a clean fire with the fire door closed. So I kept the firedoor open and still had some great food!
But off course I wanted to keep a clean fire with the door closed so I could manage the fire door and chimney vents.
So I kept trying, and what really worked was to cut my logs smaller and in stead of placing a piece of wood flat on the
burnig coals, I placed it straight up in an angle, so the fire could go up and the wood didn't kill the burning coals.
I run a clean fire with the fire door closed al the time!
So, in my opinion, Yoder was right al the time to build a small fire.

Last edited by White_diamond; 06-04-2019 at 05:40 AM..
White_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote