MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian
Default Finally ready to do this...

Ok guys, here's the scoop. Been doing competitions, caterings and such for awhile. Wanted to get into the roadside market. Just to point out (due to recent post on this topic) I am DHEC certified AND I have insurance. Starting in June I will be setting up for roadside vending out of our trailer. I am looking for any tips, mistakes, advice, etc for first-timers. Thanks guys!
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't give away food.

1. Give small samples, 1 or 2 at the most, people can tell whether they are going to buy or not after that.

2. Measure ALL of your costs, vending is not catering, you will need to monitor and account for all of your costs far more closely, even things like sample cups, gloves etc...

3. Price fairly to yourself and the market, trying to undercut it is a sure loser, but, being to precious with your product is also a loser.

4. Friendly sells more food.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Stick with a small menu until you get the hang of it and then you can build from there. Don't forget to have fun!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Don't give away food.

1. Give small samples, 1 or 2 at the most, people can tell whether they are going to buy or not after that.

2. Measure ALL of your costs, vending is not catering, you will need to monitor and account for all of your costs far more closely, even things like sample cups, gloves etc...

3. Price fairly to yourself and the market, trying to undercut it is a sure loser, but, being to precious with your product is also a loser.

4. Friendly sells more food.

this, all of this, especially #4. 2 is paramount to being successful. KNOW YOUR COSTS, EVERYTHING. You should be able to look around and know exactly what everything costs you. Like a 2oz soufle cup, so people can take sauce to go. That little plastic cup is a penny, but pennies add up quick.

Personally, I really rarely sample out product to sell it. If you're in my store, you're there to buy bbq. This isn't a buffet line

KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS, the meanest rudest people, this brisket is raw, they hate your food, want their money back, something isn't cooked right, I can name a thousand things you will get told by ignorant people. Kill them with kindness, buy their food, do whatever you can to get them out and away from happy customers as fast as you can.

Price, be fair, but you're not standing there to barely cover costs, make sure it's worth all your time and effort.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
Smokin'Butts
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Thanks for everything so far guys!
Smokin'Butts is offline   Reply With Quote