Help me settler a argument please.

12ring

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Years and years ago I got into smoking. Since then I’ve turned most of my buddies onto it. This is how it happens every time. I help them decide what type of smoker best fits the way they want to cook or I help them build one, or I build them a smoker.

I answer tons of questions at first that shortens their learning curve tremendously. I learned by trial and error until I found this site and then learned much quicker. They all listen to about 90% of what I tell them before they start to do things on their own. They all have became good at Q’ing over time.

Eventually they all start to think they know more than me and that’s ok. Maybe some do but this argument is driving me crazy. Partly because I’m not sure I’m right but I don’t want to give up to them.

I’m listing these in alphabetical order so there’s no persuasion.

Hickory, Mesquite, White Oak.

Please list in order your thoughts on which is the strongest smoke flavor. #1 will be the most Smokey and so on from there.

Thanks

Mesquite, white oak, then hickory.
BUT, I'm not sure if the oak smoked food I had years ago was with white, red, black, water, who knows. I know it did turn me off to oak for cooking.

I don't use them so can't say. I like Cherry on pork, Pecan on beef, and Apple is wonderful on anything.

I have to ask - are your buddies aware that the less seasoned ANY type of wood is, the stronger the smoke is going to be?

I understand that some woods have a stronger smoke than others, but the amount of seasoning is a factor also.

Edit: Sorry Texas pete, I'm pretty slow with typing.

Last edited:
Agree with the above comments. But that brings up a question, what is your opinion and the opinion of your friends? Just curious.

It varies based on how long it’s seasoned, but I’m with the crowd.

Mesquite
Hickory
Oak

I find oak to be very mild.

Years and years ago I got into smoking. Since then I’ve turned most of my buddies onto it. This is how it happens every time. I help them decide what type of smoker best fits the way they want to cook or I help them build one, or I build them a smoker.

I use the same approach. I hate to see someone buy a smoker on impulse and then wind up hating it

I answer tons of questions at first that shortens their learning curve tremendously. I learned by trial and error until I found this site and then learned much quicker. They all listen to about 90% of what I tell them before they start to do things on their own. They all have became good at Q’ing over time.

Following through with questions is part of any hobby, plus it can save your buddies some time and maybe money. My friends listen.... but the ones that absorb information become the best cooks.

Eventually they all start to think they know more than me and that’s ok. Maybe some do but this argument is driving me crazy. Partly because I’m not sure I’m right but I don’t want to give up to them.

Mission accomplished! This is what you want to happen. You don't want to create a clone of your cooking style. Think of it from their perspective.... your buddy starts on square one, and it takes a lot for them to eventually tell you "Hey, I think my last ribs were better than your's are". And in their eyes they are because these kind of things are subjective.

I’m listing these in alphabetical order so there’s no persuasion.

Hickory, Mesquite, White Oak.

Please list in order your thoughts on which is the strongest smoke flavor. #1 will be the most Smokey and so on from there.

For me, hands down mesquite is the strongest flavor wood when used in chunks or splits. Burned down, it's much, much mellower. And I like using good quality mesquite charcoal when cooking beef... Lazzari and B&B yellow bag are good examples.

I'll list hickory second but honestly I don't have access to good quality cooking oak.

I agree with the M H O order.

To dig further,, How would everyone rank the different oaks? For this purpose let's just do red, white and post

Back