Help me settler a argument please.

M H O for sure but, I do really enjoy oak for beef. To me it's a match made in heaven

Mesquite
Hickory
White Oak

Of the choices given, that's my order from strongest to mildest.
I typically feel Mesquite is too strong and bitter, but I'm in Missouri, so it's not that common... we do have lots of Hickory and many varieties of Oak.
My preferences run sweeter and milder, usually oak mixed with apple, cherry, or peach. Pecan is my favorite when I can find it.

...Eventually they all start to think they know more than me and that’s ok. Maybe some do but this argument is driving me crazy. Partly because I’m not sure I’m right but I don’t want to give up to them.

I’m listing these in alphabetical order so there’s no persuasion.

Hickory, Mesquite, White Oak.

Please list in order your thoughts on which is the strongest smoke flavor. #1 will be the most Smokey and so on from there.

Thanks

Were you right?

Agree with the above comments. But that brings up a question, what is your opinion and the opinion of your friends? Just curious.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I WIN!!! Argument settled.

I should have mentioned that we were talking about all wood types being equally seasoned.

My order was Mesquite, Hickory and then white oak. Another buddy was H,M,O which isn’t that big of argument but the 3rd buddy was insistent on white oak being the strongest. That’s when the arguing started.

He’s a stubborn SOB so this might turn into a cook off of some sort to further prove him wrong.

Thanks.

It's all up to taste and that cannot be disputed. To each his/he own taste.

There is a big difference in mesquite in regards to north or south of San Antonio in Texas. The difference is regarding the amount of water it takes for the tree to survive the living environment. Mesquite can survive either wet or very arid environments. The arid areas have much more creosote type oils in it to help survive. I’m sure the other woods are similar. South Texas mesquite and post oak is really good for smoking because of lower amounts of the long chain molecules it takes to survive.

Mesquite from the arid parts is better for very hot cooking. Can you say steak?

This, IMHO, ^^^^^

Where in ABQ are you. We need to get the ABQ crew together. There are at least 3 of us. LOL.

can`t get muskete so iwould say hickory then white oak and i realy like domesticated cherry

Mesquite is only good when it's used on steaks hot and fast, I'll throw a chunk in while the coals are glowing.

Hickory is blah. Too strong. I have about 20-30 hickory trees on my property and the smell reminds me of burn piles at this point.

For smoking oak, pecan (personal favorite), apple (personal favorite fruit wood). I got on a peach kick a few years back but it's pretty fruity. Ribs are about the only thing I could do with peach.

Back