Do i need BBQ grill mat?

For the absolute life of me, I just can't see the need for these grill mats. I've been doing BBQ for decades and can never remember a time when I would have ever used one, much less 5! I've used grill pans and cast iron and just can never see why these things sell. Just my opinion.

Pans and cast iron do not allow the juices to pass through, resulting in a different result. For example, my major use of the mat is to cook meatloaf on. Unlike cooking in a pan, the grease runs into a drip pan below, rather than the meat setting in it. Fish gets dry heat on all sides.

It's not grilling, for sure. Why not just use foil? Or one of those grilled vegetable baskets they sell at every big box store?

You can't wash foil and reuse it and it tears during use.Frog mats work like the vegetable baskets, except that you can roll it up for storage after you use it.

But the mats are plastic, right? How do they get hot enough to actually grill anything? Can you get actual grill marks?

But the mats are plastic, right? How do they get hot enough to actually grill anything? Can you get actual grill marks?

I believe most are made from high temperature Silicon. As far as the grill marks, supposedly yes. I purchased a set at Costco awhile back, but haven't actually used them on the grill yet. I was surprised (and disappointed) by how thin/flimsy these things are. I think you have to be very careful and NEVER use them as though they had any decent structure to them - that is, never use them to lift with (unless you take caution and understand that it has to be lifted evenly from all corners or completely support whatever is on it).

They are "grill mats", as in they are used on a grill to prevent food from falling through the grate or sticking to it.
You don't get grill marks when you cook on foil or in a pan, either.
They are a convenience. I cooked for 4 decades, at least, without one. I use a piece of mat to cook meatloaf on, because it tends to sag between the bars, grabbing hold of the grate. Or for delicate fish, which tends to stick, in place of pierced foil, since the mat is reusable after washing.
Most foods can be cooked on a totally clean and oiled grate, which takes time, and careful handling of the food so it is cooked enough so as to have formed a crust to prevent the food from breaking up.

My daughter bought me a set of Grillaholics grill mats, about 4 years ago, for my B-day. I love them. Shrimp, bacon, eggs, taters, veggies, burgers ,salmon, cookies in the oven, you name it. We use them all the time.

Back