Questions on potential new grill purchase Napoleon

robl45

Reaction score
Thinking of getting the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB or the Prestige Pro RSIB. I was set on the pro for about 5 minutes until the cost conscious part of me said why are you paying 500 more for an old school halogen light, a slide out tank tray and an ice bucket. Yeas I know it has some fancy lights and thicker grates as well.

Am I missing anything here? Is it really worth the difference?

Reasons we are making the purchase is we want a decent grill that will last awhile and Napoleon seems to have a nice warranty that will cover things for 15 years. We are basic, hamburgers/hotdogs on the grill, wife does a little chicken and we do steaks which is why the sear burner is enticing.

We have a weber spirit now which we though would be our last grill, but it is an utter disappointment, about 2 years and 2 weeks after getting it we replaced almost the entire grill under warranty and we have had it about 8 years now. It probably need another full replacement at least 2 years ago.

We are potentially open to another Weber if someone convinced us it would really be worth it over the Napoleon.

Budget is no higher than the Prestige 500. In order to go higher it would have to have some super features like the Pro version to make it potentially worthwhile.

The only thing I really don't like about the Napoleon is it doesn't have a fuel gauge like the higher up Weber do.

I'm interested too. I could have written your post, right down to the Weber Spirit. I've been looking at Napoleon. The models you mentioned were also what I was looking at.

I am waiting until spring. A lot of the models are out of stock and there have been warnings of price increases. Lowes had none in stock locally except one floor model.

I'm wondering if a new line is coming for spring.

I'm interested too. I could have written your post, right down to the Weber Spirit. I've been looking at Napoleon. The models you mentioned were also what I was looking at.

I am waiting until spring. A lot of the models are out of stock and there have been warnings of price increases. Lowes had none in stock locally except one floor model.

I'm wondering if a new line is coming for spring.

I haven't looked local as its usually expensive, but they just updated these recently I think. I read something about the Napoleon blow out with a little bit of wind which I'm not sure is really an issue or not.

I do like the fact that the weber sear burner is just an extra burner and you can sear right on the main grill versus the side, but they only have 10 year warranty.

Also wondering about real world results with napolean warranty, its 15 years and lifetime, but do they actually honor it or do they find excuses like the car stealerships? Weber honored it without much issue which was nice although they shouldn't have had to in 2 years LOL.

The spirit is Weber's lower end line. Their higher end lines like the Summit and Genesis will probably last longer. I have Genesis I bought about 6 years ago and it's held up pretty well. I need to replace the flavorizer bars but other than that it's in good shape.

Can't comment on the Saber as I've never used one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a Genesis but am likely to go with Napoleon next and have had the same internal argument for month as to whether the pro is worth it. The one other feature it has beyond your list is more headroom (I think). Not sure how often I’d use that.

Ultimately I think the Prestige is probably the better deal. I might talk myself into the pro but it will be more a “what the heck, it’s only money” decision vs a well reasoned value decision.

Other grills that I’d consider are Broil King and Blaze - one priced lower, the other higher.

There is a site called greentoe that supposedly you can name your price and get the grill cheaper. From what it shows, the difference could potentially be 400 between the two models. Still its 400 dollars for a slide out trade and fancy lights and an ice box. None of it means anything though if Napoleon doesn't honor the warranty or the thing doesn't work well.

I was in you same boat about a year ago, Was strongly considering a Napoleon 500 and pro model, but ultimately went with a Weber Genesis. I like the parts availability of the Weber products, and the model I got SE 330 has an open cart design that I prefer for Florida weather and extra heavy stainless grates for under 1k.

I have always had a gas grill, although I don't use them like I used to. The Weber replaced a Broilmaster P3 which was a higher end grill that I had for 20+ years, but for the most part, I like the Genesis just as much. It heats up fast, has an extra sear burner that does a decent job, and I like the side burner (use it to light my charcoal chimney all the time among other things).

I am not that familiar with the Spirit model you have. Most of the innards in the Genesis are extremely simple to replace. The grill body itself is cast aluminum which should last a really long time. What has happened to your Spirit that makes it needing to be replaced?

Have you looked at Blaze or Lion grills? I believe they are comparably priced and have lifetime warranties.

Have you looked at Blaze or Lion grills? I believe they are comparably priced and have lifetime warranties.

I have and I believe they were more money, just looked at broil king again and it was more money as well.

For the person that asked why the spirit is done. Well it literally needs new burners, grates, flavor bars and drip pan, not the disposable aluminum pan and the cart is rusting. And this is the second time all those need to be replaced. Its lasted a little better than a charbroil that we used to get before buying this one.

I have and I believe they were more money, just looked at broil king again and it was more money as well.

For the person that asked why the spirit is done. Well it literally needs new burners, grates, flavor bars and drip pan, not the disposable aluminum pan and the cart is rusting. And this is the second time all those need to be replaced. Its lasted a little better than a charbroil that we used to get before buying this one.

Where and how is it stored. How well and often do you clean it up?

Burners should last 5-10 years, but there is a ton of variables that go into this. If you constantly cook fatty food, and don’t ever clean the burners, even the best heavy made stainless burners will rust out. As far as the cart rusting, enclosed carts will rust out unless they are 304 stainless where I live. That is one of the reasons I went with the open cart . It will dry itself way better than an enclosed cart. Also, if you have a cover over the grill, you need to make sure that it has the open air pockets built in so moisture can escape. I see you also live in Florida. This wet humid environment is not the best for a grill. Covers on the grill can entrap moisture and cause more harm than good if you are not careful.

Where and how is it stored. How well and often do you clean it up?

Burners should last 5-10 years, but there is a ton of variables that go into this. If you constantly cook fatty food, and don’t ever clean the burners, even the best heavy made stainless burners will rust out. As far as the cart rusting, enclosed carts will rust out unless they are 304 stainless where I live. That is one of the reasons I went with the open cart . It will dry itself way better than an enclosed cart. Also, if you have a cover over the grill, you need to make sure that it has the open air pockets built in so moisture can escape. I see you also live in Florida. This wet humid environment is not the best for a grill. Covers on the grill can entrap moisture and cause more harm than good if you are not careful.

We clean it, but not religiously, its a grill, we cook on it, if I keep my grill indoors it will last forever, probably that charbroil piece of junk too. We don't cover it. Weber was supposed to last, it didn't last much better than the charbroil if at all. lettering is off the panels, and its just to the point that its not worth throwing money into.

We clean it, but not religiously, its a grill, we cook on it, if I keep my grill indoors it will last forever, probably that charbroil piece of junk too. We don't cover it. Weber was supposed to last, it didn't last much better than the charbroil if at all. lettering is off the panels, and its just to the point that its not worth throwing money into.

I hear you, but expect the same results form the Napoleon. They have a very similar build to weber. Unless you go to something with 304 stainless like a Blaze or something similar it's going to have the same issues. Keep in mind not all stainless steel is equal. Many companies use a cheaper stainless that will discolor and rust almost as quickly as painted steel.

The base on my old discarded BroilMaster is 304 stainless and still in excellent shape and I certainly did not baby it. Cleaned it maybe every 5 years or so. I saved it when I discarded the main grill body, and plan to repurpose it. The aluminum grill body on the BroilMaster cracked in a move, and still lasted another 10 years before finally giving out. I did have to replace the burner about every 7 years or so even though they were a fairly substantial 304 stainless burner. I could have replaced the grill body, and been good to go, but was ready for something else at the time.

Last edited:
Yes, but they have a 15 year warranty on most parts versus 2 year on weber. I'm turning 47, if the grill lasts till I'm 62, I'm a happy camper.

I hear you, but expect the same results form the Napoleon. They have a very similar build to weber. Unless you go to something with 304 stainless like a Blaze or something similar it's going to have the same issues. Keep in mind not all stainless steel is equal. Many companies use a cheaper stainless that will discolor and rust almost as quickly as painted steel.

The base on my old discarded BroilMaster is 304 stainless and still in excellent shape and I certainly did not baby it. Cleaned it maybe every 5 years or so. I saved it when I discarded the main grill body, and plan to repurpose it. The aluminum grill body on the BroilMaster cracked in a move, and still lasted another 10 years before finally giving out. I did have to replace the burner about ever 7 years or so even thought they were a fairly substantial 304 stainless burner. I could have replaced the grill body, and been good to go, but was ready for something else at the time.

Yes, but they have a 15 year warranty on most parts versus 2 year on weber. I'm turning 47, if the grill lasts till I'm 62, I'm a happy camper.

Comparable Weber Genesis models have a 10 year warranty, and Weber has a strong history of excellent customer service and honoring their warranty. Not sure on the Napoleon.

I am not trying to tell you not to get a Napoleon. You get what you want. They are a reputable manufacturer.

Comparable Weber Genesis models have a 10 year warranty, and Weber has a strong history of excellent customer service and honoring their warranty. Not sure on the Napoleon.

I am not trying to tell you not to get a Napoleon. You get what you want. They are a reputable manufacturer.

Yes, that is one of the things I"m trying to figure out is how napoleon honors there warranty. Someone in a review on some site said the writing on the napoloeon was rubbing off too.

Glad my Ducane is still doing great. It's 14 years old now and only had to replace the heat shield bars or whatever you call them. It has stainless steel grates which was a must. Has a little smoke tray attachment (never used) and another burner to aide in rotisserie (never used ugh). It was that or a Weber and I couldn't be happier with the choice I made. From what I understand Weber bought them out and started using their tech of course. I do keep it in the garage and use all year long. Clean about every 2 months depending on use. I don't envy you one bit trying to decide on this. If any chance of keeping it out of that wicked FL sun I am sure that would really help in making it last. Good Luck and let us know what you get.

My past interaction with Weber was great customer service. I haven't needed them in a long time so I can't confirm. But people online have been posting more complaints about their CS lately.

The Napoleon line confuses me a bit. Some of the higher end Rogue series seems about the same and similar price to the Prestige series. Not sure where I'll end up. But my kid just blew the motor on his Tacoma so my grill budget just went out the window to help him. So I have time to sort it out.

just looked at broil king as everyone was saying they last forever and then all I see is reviews of them rusting.

I have a Sabre that rusted out, just sent them a few pics, no issues getting a replacement firebox. Only thing they didn't cover were some heat shields between the burners & drip tray. Same with Kamado Joe. I would assume Napoleon has a pretty good warranty as well considering they are a pretty high end.

Back