my UDS buildout w/lots of pron

Gonesledn

Knows what a fatty is.
day one, bring home a few barrels, sand one to bare metal, paint, and install wheels.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzktMjAxMDAzMjItMTcxM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODAtMjAxMDAzMjItMT-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODItMjAxMDAzMjUtMTMwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODEtMjAxMDAzMjUtMTMwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODMtMjAxMDAzMjYtMTUxN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODQtMjAxMDAzMjYtMTUxO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODUtMjAxMDAzMjYtMT-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODktMjAxMDAzMjctMTMzO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTAtMjAxMDAzMjctMTMzO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTctMjAxMDAzMjctMTgxO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTktMjAxMDAzMjctMTgyN.jpg

day two....

used an old steel milk crate from the back yard for a coal grate.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTEtMjAxMDAzMjctMTUyO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTMtMjAxMDAzMjctMTUzM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTQtMjAxMDAzMjctMTU0N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTgtMjAxMDAzMjctMTgyM.jpg

Brilliant use of materials, a drum and a milk crate! I need both !!

Nice build, but were you sanding that in your basement??? :wink: (saw the carpet and chairs)

Looking at your fire basket and had an epiphany. I saw that you cut the top off of it, and then discarded it and bolted legs onto it. A person could cut it as you did, take the discarded top and set it upright on the ground, and then set your basket on top of it (they should nest together). Weld/tie them together and you're good to go! If it's too tall, just cut your new bottom section to the desired height!

now onto my fresh air intake. i wanted to do something a bit different. i have a bunch of brass railing parts tucked away in the garage from a nightclub buildout job i did, so my mind got to thinking... the bottom of the brass is cut open into the drum, and not at the top. when air comes in, it only goes to the bottom by the coal grate.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDItMjAxMDAzMjgtMTM1M.jpg

sliced open a section of brass with the grinder, then sanded smooth and spread it slightly. i then slid it over the main tube that i drilled the holes in

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDYtMjAxMDAzMzAtMTIyO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDctMjAxMDAzMzAtMTIzM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDgtMjAxMDAzMzAtMTI0N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDktMjAxMDAzMzAtMTI0N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDAtMjAxMDAzMjgtMT-1.jpg

i can now run the air fully closed, to barely open one hole just by sliding the outer tube up and down.
i then sliced and flattened out another section of tube, and cut a circle out. cut a 3/4 inch hole in the drum for a second air intake if need. sanded up the circle to just about round and self tapped screwed it to the drum.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTAtMjAxMDAzMzAtMTMyN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTEtMjAxMDAzMzAtMTMzN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTItMjAxMDAzMzAtMTMzN.jpg

well, i figured it needed a shelf... more brass! YAY!

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTktMjAxMDAzMzEtMTQwM.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjAtMjAxMDAzMzEtMTQwN.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjEtMjAxMDAzMzEtMTQ1N.jpg

had some old nasty cedar boards that i salvaged out of my old garage before i tore it down. sanded down, and cut to fit. toss in a few S hooks. a cheap azz therm till i get a nice digital.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjItMjAxMDAzMzEtMTU0O.jpg

smoked a cigar and pondered if i should leave it natural or finish it....

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjQtMjAxMDA0MDEtMT-1.jpg

well, finished would look nicer. here is a sister board next to it after stain and sealing.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzAtMjAxMDA0MDItMTk0M.jpg

cigar and a relaxation beer.

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjktMjAxMDA0MDItMTkzO.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzEtMjAxMDA0MDItMTk0N.jpg

rubbed down with cooking oil a few times, and did a seasoning run. runs dam well, and turns out i didnt need the extra intake.

final turnout...

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjUtMjAxMDA0MDEtMTgwM.jpg

Nice build, but were you sanding that in your basement??? :wink: (saw the carpet and chairs)

Looking at your fire basket and had an epiphany. I saw that you cut the top off of it, and then discarded it and bolted legs onto it. A person could cut it as you did, take the discarded top and set it upright on the ground, and then set your basket on top of it (they should nest together). Weld/tie them together and you're good to go! If it's too tall, just cut your new bottom section to the desired height!

lol, nope. that is my "garage". its where i play pool, darts, watch tv, sit in my chairs and smoke cigars all the time. i am a flooring installer by trade, so i end up with extra stuff all the time.

as for your idea with the milk crate, wished i would have thought of that before. great idea

Can't be a UDS. It's not ugly.

What you have there, my industrious friend is a BDS. (Beautiful Drum Smoker). You have some skilz.

Mike D

thanks for the kind words everyone!

still have two extra barrels left, bought extra in case i messed up. anyone local to chitown needs one, let me know.

The brethern made fun of my UDS also:

DSCF5466.jpg

For the life of me I can't see why:confused::confused:. I think it is down right ugly too.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit

Back