MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 PM   #16
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I started out low and would panic if temps went above 250. I got to where 325 was my normal temp. Now I'm backing down to 275. All good cooks. I stopped by an old Texas bbq joint. No therms in sight. I was looking over the old brick pit. Asked the pit master about temps. He said north of 300. I think hot is the original temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #17
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
When I learned how to barbecue LBJ was in the White House, we had 3 TV channels and the shows weren't in color until prime time. The internet was a long way off. There were no thermometers on the pits, or to check the doneness of the meats. Fast forward to about 2000, I bought a Big Green Egg that had a somewhat reliable thermometer.... then I bought a cable thermometer, and a instant read Thermoworks, then a Guru (still the analog one) and more or less sorted out what I had been doing for 30 years without all these gadgets.

It's funny you mention pork shoulders, because they are the one whole muscle meat I still cook at real barbecue temperatures, for long times. I just love the end product. For me, the rendering and conversion of the fats in pork can't happen at higher pit temps. I cook ribs at 275°ish, and brisket a tick higher... just prefer true lo-n-slow for shoulders. For 20+ years we've done an annual barbecue and the butts are smoking for 15 hours or so. It works. Oh, yeah.... there is beer involved but I'm on the prep crew the afternoon before and then come back at 4:00 am the next day to handle the finish and work the service table.

Pretty much how I was taught. Know the fire.... I still don't use a thermometer.

Had to take the temp of the block pit out of curiosity when someone asked. It runs at 250F. No idea on the underground pits.... but they definitely run low and slow. lol

Everyone is different. Do what you're most comfy with and what you enjoy eating. It's all good!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #18
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If it taste great, I don't care how it was cooked.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

For me, the end product might be the same whether cooked hot and fast or low and slow, but the simple fact is I enjoy getting up early starting the fire, I enjoy watching the smoke roll out of my cooker, I enjoy monitoring the temps, and I enjoy having another beer while the food cooks. I even enjoy going to bed knowing my WSM is holding rock steady at 240 with a full packer bathing in sweet smoke inside. We all get out of this hobby what we put into it.
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #20
LYU370

What are your thoughts on white bread?

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #21
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ah chit....

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #22
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #23
VanSteel
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Van

I've had great results both ways, but I do like the flavor from having longer exposure to the smoke. When doing hot and briskets, I've gotten better fat render when lowering the temps for the last part of the cook.
VanSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #24
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Maybe next try boiling your ribs first!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #25
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

On my pellet grill, hot and fast doesn’t get much smoked flavor. So it’s either low and slow or add a smoke tube. My other smokers work fine hot and fast though, so 275-325 is usually how I do those.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 12:12 AM   #26
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYU370 View Post
Exactly! I can't imagine telling someone "this is the only way to cook" I don't approach any situation in life that way. Even at work "this is what has worked for me in the past" If that can help someone out-fantastic! If they can take it, twist it, and give me a way to improve (be it food, or at work) then even better!

'my way is the best way, your way is wrong' has always just sounded so ignorant to me (and I make a LOT of ignorant statements)
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 AM   #27
NoOne
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : NoOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Exactly! I can't imagine telling someone "this is the only way to cook" I don't approach any situation in life that way. Even at work "this is what has worked for me in the past" If that can help someone out-fantastic! If they can take it, twist it, and give me a way to improve (be it food, or at work) then even better!

'my way is the best way, your way is wrong' has always just sounded so ignorant to me (and I make a LOT of ignorant statements)
Well Said!

Except when I’m right and they are wrong.
AZ BBQ Outfitters 48” Argentine Grill w/ Brassero
Humphrey’s Battle Box
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #28
Sooner21
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I don't get low and slow....

Based on your threads I bet you're a really fun guy to hang out with. You know - really open minded and easy to talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sooner21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #29
Seefyre
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Chris

Many folks' smokers (pellet for example) dont produce smoke at high temperatures, so lower cooks are the rule for them.

As was stated earlier, pork butt has a wide window to have them come out great so they darn near come out great regardless. Trickier cuts like brisket and ribs aren't so easy at temps approaching 400.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #30
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I've done both. I think butt turns out better low and slow, brisket can take a bit faster. 275-300 is still a pretty low cook temperature as most things go.