M Grills M1

Thanks! I’ve seen where most that grill indirect for longer than 45 mins - hr will do so from the firebox. Obviously this would use a lot more charcoal. The M1 is intriguing with the ability to use as a wood burning offset. How has charcoal smoking from the firebox worked out for you? I see Travis has made a new coal basket that is 3” deeper which will hold more charcoal and bigger splits

I’ve never used it as a charcoal smoker from the firebox. Have done a lot of it with short reverse seers etc from the chamber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I’ve seen where most that grill indirect for longer than 45 mins - hr will do so from the firebox. Obviously this would use a lot more charcoal. The M1 is intriguing with the ability to use as a wood burning offset. How has charcoal smoking from the firebox worked out for you? I see Travis has made a new coal basket that is 3” deeper which will hold more charcoal and bigger splits

I have charcoal smoked from the firebox several times and have had no real issues. My last cook was a 13 hr pork butt cook and I did have to re-fuel a couple of times and had to empty the ash pan once. On some of my shorter cooks I've not had to do that at all.

Where did you see anything about 25% off sale?

My question exactly! I think we need some sort of warning when someone resurrects these old threads - especially one that referenced that kind of discount. I was excited, then confused at how I’d missed this given the 10/22 deadline. Finally I realized I’d missed it by three years, not three days :becky:

I have charcoal smoked from the firebox several times and have had no real issues. My last cook was a 13 hr pork butt cook and I did have to re-fuel a couple of times and had to empty the ash pan once. On some of my shorter cooks I've not had to do that at all.

Ever tried using briquettes to see if burn time increases? Not kingsford but something like B&B or even Jealous Devils briquettes. Of course the ash would probably be even worse. It sounds like 10-15 logs would suffice if burning wood on a butt/brisket smoke if the 1 log per hour is accurate.

Ever tried using briquettes to see if burn time increases? Not kingsford but something like B&B or even Jealous Devils briquettes. Of course the ash would probably be even worse. It sounds like 10-15 logs would suffice if burning wood on a butt/brisket smoke if the 1 log per hour is accurate.

On the Pork Butt cook I first put down a bed of Weber Briquettes and then used a layer of B&B comp longs on top of that. I put a Weber lighter cube in the left back corner on the ash pan and let that burn for about 15 or 20 minutes before shutting down the vents and getting it dialed in at about 275-300 degrees.

I did not get the entire fire basket of charcoal going at once, more of a minion method. When I did refuel, I only used the comp logs.

The Weber briquettes put out a ton of ash and the comp logs kind of do too so that is probably why I had to dump the pan part way through the cook.

Back