MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Default Aussie v. Kiwi v. 'Merica Lamb

Seriously, no offense to any Aussies or Kiwis out there, and I actually am looking for your input as well as my fellow countrymen.

What would you say the difference is between lamb from Australia v. New Zealand v. America? Some of our older generation in the US have told me only buy American lamb because the lamb from overseas is more "mutton" tasting. Growing up, the rare times we would have lamb (it was expensive and at that time we did not have much money) it always had to be American.

This has got to be bs, right? Now I eat lamb more frequently, it awesome on the smoker, but I usually get it from a local farmer. However, I have seen Aussie and Kiwi lamb at the store. Is this worth trying? Is there a difference?

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yes, there is a difference. Until recently, the only available product at the local grocer was either NZ or Oz sourced. Now, I can get US raised. To me, the US cuts I've been getting seem to be a bit larger, as if from a slightly older animal, and not QUITE as tender. Close, and memory is having to serve me on this, but there does seem to be a difference. Not necessarily better, but there.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Murray in N.Z.
On the road to being a farker

Dude....

This just begs for an honest non biased answer...

Kiwi lambs is best because its nice young and tender, transport distances to the works are low and its an industry that we are world leaders in.

Aussie lamb is a bit tougher due primarily to stress. The distance between farm and slaughterhouses are phenominal, its a blinking huge country..... but the real spoiler is all the "attention" the poor lambs get from every male that they come in contact with throughout their lives... Aussies are not called sheep shaggers for nothing and the poor old stressed out abused lambs show it!!!!

Muzza in Perth W.A. for a while.
Murray in N.Z. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray in N.Z. View Post
Dude....

This just begs for an honest non biased answer...

Kiwi lambs is best because its nice young and tender, transport distances to the works are low and its an industry that we are world leaders in.

Aussie lamb is a bit tougher due primarily to stress. The distance between farm and slaughterhouses are phenominal, its a blinking huge country..... but the real spoiler is all the "attention" the poor lambs get from every male that they come in contact with throughout their lives... Aussies are not called sheep shaggers for nothing and the poor old stressed out abused lambs show it!!!!

Muzza in Perth W.A. for a while.
So the Aussie's are exporting "entertainment centers"?

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Notorious P.I.G.
Got Wood.

What do you call a sheep tied to a street sign in NZ?

A recreation centre.

Back on to the OP I've only ever had Aussie lamb as we only import NZ lamb for dog food its by far an inferrer product.
Notorious P.I.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
So the Aussie's are exporting "entertainment centers"?
Lambskins are free. Latex will cost you extra...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
dadsr4

Getting back to topic, American lamb is, I believe, finished on grain.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
Seriously, no offense to any Aussies or Kiwis out there, and I actually am looking for your input as well as my fellow countrymen.

What would you say the difference is between lamb from Australia v. New Zealand v. America? Some of our older generation in the US have told me only buy American lamb because the lamb from overseas is more "mutton" tasting. Growing up, the rare times we would have lamb (it was expensive and at that time we did not have much money) it always had to be American.

This has got to be bs, right? Now I eat lamb more frequently, it awesome on the smoker, but I usually get it from a local farmer. However, I have seen Aussie and Kiwi lamb at the store. Is this worth trying? Is there a difference?
There will be a difference.
US kill at an older age, and are grain fed to finish which mellows the natural flavour.
The Aussie/ Nz lamb will taste of....well...lamb, not mutton.
The US lamb is called hogget here, too old to be classed as lamb.
I believe the board making the decision to age and grain feed is doing a disservice to their Mericun customers, if you don't like lamb then buy another protein, but I'm pretty sure Mericuns will love it just fine.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
There will be a difference.
US kill at an older age, and are grain fed to finish which mellows the natural flavour.
The Aussie/ Nz lamb will taste of....well...lamb, not mutton.
The US lamb is called hogget here, too old to be classed as lamb.
I believe the board making the decision to age and grain feed is doing a disservice to their Mericun customers, if you don't like lamb then buy another protein, but I'm pretty sure Mericuns will love it just fine.
OK, that confirms my thoughts. The leg I cooked last week most definitely had a more, "beefy", taste that was really apparent upon reheating. Thought I was perhaps imagining something.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I was in Malaysia a few years ago and the only Lamb I could find was from New Zealand.
I could not tell any difference.
We had a lot of drought a few years ago, I believe lots was sold here then, never heard a complaint.
never tried Merican sheep, I hear they carry/packin

Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I've had lamb in US, NZ, and OZ. The Kiwi lamb was by far the best I've had. The lamb I bought from a Kiwi supermarket was better than many restaurants I've had in the U.S. Very tender and less gamey than the U.S. lambs. Aussie lamb was good too but not as tender/flavorful. American lamb is much more gamey than either, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
never tried Merican sheep, I hear they carry/packin
Dunno, those Kiwi's made some genetic "improvments" though...

Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

LMAO

Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
thirdeye

I'm partial to domestic lamb, and in addition to lamb, the Co-Op I purchase from does offer slightly larger cuts from yearlings.

The best advice is to try a side-by-side cook using the best quality from each source you can find. The lamb I buy is graded "Choice and Higher" and is raised right here in the Rocky Mountain states.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

the best lamb i've had was from iceland.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote