MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 1st Annual Southern New England Kosher BBQ Championship

We are pleased to announce the date for the 1st ANNUAL SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND KOSHER BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP will be September 7, 2014. The event will be located at Congregation Beth El in Fairfield CT. Please watch this board for more detail. In the meantime, if you have any questions feel free to leave them below or email us at [email protected] Our website with more details will be going live within the next few weeks.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

UPDATE:We are pleased to announce the date for the 1st ANNUAL SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND KOSHER BBQ CHAMPIONSHIP will be September 7, 2014. The event will be located at Congregation Beth El in Fairfield CT. Please watch this board for more detail. In the meantime,Please check out our FACEBOOK PAGE www.facebook.com/SNEKBBQ or if you have any questions feel free to leave them below or email us at [email protected]

Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

Awesome! 1st Annual......makin' history!
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
wmrrock
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark-O-Rama View Post
Awesome! 1st Annual......makin' history!
We need to talk - would love to use your product at our BBQ Competition. We are part of 6 city Nationwide Kosher BBQ Circuit. More than 2000 people will attend our event next September. You have a great product and we would love to help you promote it at our event.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrrock View Post
We need to talk - would love to use your product at our BBQ Competition. We are part of 6 city Nationwide Kosher BBQ Circuit. More than 2000 people will attend our event next September. You have a great product and we would love to help you promote it at our event.
ABSOLUTELY - I sent you a PM about free product/sponsorship. I almost made it to Kosherfest, but the timing just didn't work. I'm hoping to be there next year FOR SURE!
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
wags
Got Wood.

Would this be a peoples choice or would you have judges similar to kcbs. I'm a certified judge and I'd be interested in judging the event.
wags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I believe that it's being run similar to the one on Long Island and if that's true, it will be a standard competition format utilizing judges and standard scoring.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
blackeyedpig
Got Wood.

Can you use a pit that has cooked ribs and butts in a kosher contest? Similarly, do you have to do special prep to tools, coolers, etc.?
blackeyedpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedpig View Post
Can you use a pit that has cooked ribs and butts in a kosher contest? Similarly, do you have to do special prep to tools, coolers, etc.?
none could be used if had non-kosher interaction.

i live in trumbull. i might just throw my hat in that ring.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeyedpig View Post
Again, if it's similar to the one on Long Island, the event provides you with everything as far as equipment. You can't bring anything from home. Not your pit, not your knives, not your thermometers.

Eric

Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not your knives? Why not?

And for the record, I really know very little about Kosher laws.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #12
blackeyedpig
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Again, if it's similar to the one on Long Island, the event provides you with everything as far as equipment. You can't bring anything from home. Not your pit, not your knives, not your thermometers.

Eric
Is the meat also provided? Can you give some more details about the event you're familiar with? If all you have to do is show up and cook I am in.
blackeyedpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

They had one here in Vegas last week. I did not attend but our club was invited. All the grills, meat and utensils were provided. I never knew there were kosher utensils. I guess the cook also has to be kosher so the Rabbi had to light all the fires as well. Also, you had to turn in all your spices a week early to show they were kosher.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Here's how the Long Island event worked for the past two years.

You paid your entry fee well in advance of the event (to ensure your spot as they ran out of space - a good problem to have for any event).

They emailed the team lead a fairly detailed list of ingredients that you could check off.

They had a cooks meeting on the Thursday evening prior to the event. When you arrived, they had your ingredients waiting for you as well as your meats. You could bring other kosher ingredients with you, but they had to be submitted onsite to the Rabbi. If the Rabbi approved them, you would be allowed to use them. If not, you couldn't. There are variations of 'Kosher'. Some items were approved, others weren't.

After prepping your meats at this meeting, they were sealed in plastic bags and put in a refrigerated truck. Your ingredients went into a numbered bag and were saved for you.

When you arrived after sunset on Saturday you were given your space, two tables, a few chairs, your meat, your ingredients, two weber kettles, charcoal, a charcoal chimney, heat resistant gloves and your bag, which also contained two knives, utensils and a thermometer.

The categories this year were chicken, beans, beef ribs and brisket. The first year there was no chicken category.

The public came down in force and with a full expectation of eating food cooked by the teams. The teams were not given extra food to satisfy this expectation. We made sure to make extra beans that we served in 2oz cups and we cubed up some of the leftover brisket and served that with toothpicks.

Judging, scoring and awards were pretty standard.

I hope that helps.

Eric

Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Not your knives? Why not?

And for the record, I really know very little about Kosher laws.
They have no way of telling if your knives have ever touched food that's not Kosher, therefor rending them not useable for Kosher cooking.

Eric

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->